Probably the silliest question ever

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
but I can't find the answer anywhere else.

But someone asked me today--and I am ashamed to say that I didn't really know the answer.

I never ride my PB 'under my own steam', only ever by using the motor, and in all the years I have had it, I have never even moved the gear trigger. (I presume it DOES move. ;) )

But the gears are there ONLY for 'human power' pedalling, right?

The motor can't use them can it?

And no--I have not been tempted to experiment. The last time I 'cycled' under my own steam (not on the PB) I pulled a ligament--and very painful it was, too.

I'd rather make a fool of myself, and ask here.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
but I can't find the answer anywhere else.

But someone asked me today--and I am ashamed to say that I didn't really know the answer.

I never ride my PB 'under my own steam', only ever by using the motor, and in all the years I have had it, I have never even moved the gear trigger. (I presume it DOES move. ;) )

But the gears are there ONLY for 'human power' pedalling, right?

The motor can't use them can it?

And no--I have not been tempted to experiment. The last time I 'cycled' under my own steam (not on the PB) I pulled a ligament--and very painful it was, too.

I'd rather make a fool of myself, and ask here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

out of curiosity, why when you got your bike did you not try out all it should do to see if there was any faults with it ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the gears are only there for human power, the motor cannot make use of them.

You can use them to suit your pedalling speed preferences when climbing hills, and if you ever need to pedal it without power, the lowest gear is a very low one to help with that.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
The gears determine how fast the wheels turn when you turn the pedals. As the motor is in the wheel, it turns it directly and not via the pedals. Therefore, the gears have no effect on the motor.

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.

out of curiosity, why when you got your bike did you not try out all it should do to see if there was any faults with it ?
I bought it, second-hand (or should that be 'pre-used') off 'erby' (or whatever it's called). Frankly, I hadn't the faintest CLUE what it was supposed to do. I just thought it would be cheaper than the car and easier than walking. :eek:

When the courier delivered it, I just removed the packaging, turned the key and roared away on it, watched by an admiring and marvelling crowd of neighbours. I thought it was WONDERFUL.

I still DO think it's wondeful.

'Look Mum--no pedalling!' :lol:

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Stranger, how long have u had yor bike and what type of battery do you have - is it still going strong?

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I bought it, second-hand (or should that be 'pre-used') off 'erby' (or whatever it's called). Frankly, I hadn't the faintest CLUE what it was supposed to do. I just thought it would be cheaper than the car and easier than walking. :eek:

When the courier delivered it, I just removed the packaging, turned the key and roared away on it, watched by an admiring and marvelling crowd of neighbours. I thought it was WONDERFUL.

I still DO think it's wondeful.

'Look Mum--no pedalling!' :lol:

well yes i can totally understand that, yes it is wonderful but can you imagine if the battery fails and you push it home for 5 miles past this "admiring and marvelling crowd of neighbours" and someone asks you "why you have not pedelled it instead of backbreaking, angle gougeing" pushing"...:p ... and you have to say.."pedal, do you mean i can pedal it ?"

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Hi

What a spanner?

thx

Bob

you are early tonight Bob,well thats the end of a good forum for the evening now your on raking into every thread with drivell...night night..:(

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.

well yes i can totally understand that, yes it is wonderful but can you imagine if the battery fails and you push it home for 5 miles past this "admiring and marvelling crowd of neighbours" and someone asks you "why you have not pedelled it instead of backbreaking, angle gougeing" pushing"...:p ... and you have to say.."pedal, do you mean i can pedal it ?"
Actually I probably COULDN'T pedal it--not very far anyway--even in Ist gear. I am not very good at pedalling. And if the battery fails on me (it wouldn't do that would it?) I shall simply use that other modern marvel, the cell phone, and ring someone (husband, neighboour , taxi or my local friendly dealer or even a pal) for assistance or for a ride home. :)

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
Stranger, how long have u had yor bike and what type of battery do you have - is it still going strong?
It's a lead-acid x3 x 12v. Powabyke is now 5 years old. Had one new set of Batteries (£180 the set) end of November 2008 and some melted wires sorted out a couple of weeks ago.

Other than that it has proven to be ultra-reliable. It may not be the most modern or the most elegant or the lightest of the pedelecs but I LOVE it.

Like I say--I have no idea how easy it may be to 'propel' under pure pedal power--because I never have 'propelled' it thus.

But under battery power it does between 20-30 miles per charge (depends which powermode you are using).

I can if I wish buy a LI battery for it--but I shan't. That's probably on a par of fitting a Porche engine into a Morris Minor.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Very hard work!

Stanger

You do not want to pedal your Powabke without battery assist!

My spare ebike was the same as yours and in November I set off from work to Churchill Place in Docklands (21 story Barclays Wealth building), A journey of about 6 miles round trip. My electrics failed after less than one mile and so I rode the rest with the battery in the bike pedal power only. The problem is that it pedalling is relatively easy once you get up to speed as long as there are no inclines. It is virtually impossible to ride uphill in any gear but first and in that gear your feet go round fast but the wheels don't. I was very tired when I finished and my legs complained for a few days.

As a comparison, just before we rode the Ching Challenge (appox 100 miles, but that's another story) I ran out of battery power in Hyde Park on my eZee Forza, a much lighter bike with a much lighter battery. I then rode ten miles to my car parked near the start of the M11 and was only sweating lightly when I completed the ride.

I also loved my Powabyke, and I always used pedalec mode, but you must try a more modern bike, it will be well worth it.

Conal

Stephen-Gately

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2008
I do not think this is the silliest question to be honest. I mean usually a question isn't silly if it requires an answer.

I went to the psychiatrist last week, and he asked me the stupidest question I've ever heard. I went in, sat down and he turned to me and asked, " so...... do you hear voices in your head then?"

I said "As opposed to where exactly?"