Problem: swapping Yose Power kit to new bike

Chabuddy G

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 18, 2020
Hi guys,
I have a little problem solving to do and I welcome any suggestions from you more knowledgeable folk!

So last year I bought a Yose Power 350w rear kit for FREEWHEEL and fit it to my old Giant with 7 speed on the rear. It's been perfect but with no suspension or disc brakes I was on the lookout for something better.

I just got a mega deal on a barely used Decathlon Riverside 900 (Specs here https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/riverside-900-hybrid-bike/_/R-p-300794 )
So it has a 10 speed CASSETTE (11-40). So obviously won't fit on my freewheel hub.
I don't see anywhere that sells a 10 speed freewheel to just bolt on and hope it works...

So my options?

1. Sell the existing kit and buy the Cassette version and swap over the existing 10 speed cassette. I shouldn't lose too much money doing this as the kits are very sought after here. Will the 10 speed fit the dropout is my concern?

2. Buy a 7-9 speed freewheel and convert the shifter to the the same. Will I only need to change the shifter? I'll have to get it dialed in buy a bike shop after probably. This is a bit messy as I want to be able to go back to stock easy enough. (Cost:. New freewheel + shifter)

Thoughts?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Chabuddy G

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 18, 2020
10 sp freewheels are available, though you may not like the price.
Also with freewheels one has to consider the stack height so the D/O's may need spreading.

SunRace 10 Speed screw on Freewheel 11-36T (sjscycles.co.uk)
Yeah I definitely don't like the price . I have the same concern about the dropout although I did find a thread on here from 2018 where someone got a very cheap one from AliExpress and it fit. I must message that person to get a link to the freewheel they bought as I can't find it.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Stick with the 7-speed - and swap over the shifters? Assuming the two bikes use the same groupset manufacturer?