Problem with front of donor bike rattling

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi, would anyone please know what's going wrong here? Something seems to be loose. I've posted a YouTube video link below. It's a Montague Urban I'm hoping to electrify. Thanks, Jonathan

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, would anyone please know what's going wrong here? Something seems to be loose. I've posted a YouTube video link below. It's a Montague Urban I'm hoping to electrify. Thanks, Jonathan
I agree with vfr400, it looks as though someone has loosened it, and not tightened it and adjusted it correctly afterwards.
Its simple to do.
Or a bearing has collapsed, though I have myself never ever heard of that, then you will need two new bearings of the correct size, and the knowledge to remove the originals and replace with new. But that is a very long shot!
Andy

Reactions: jonathan75

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks @Andy-Mat and @vfr400. It sounds like a Bike Repair Person job to me. I wouldn't know where to start!
I agree.
Hopefully its a standard size, and that it can be obtained quickly.
For a Bike shop, they are probably in a position to replace/adjust the parts, with their eyes closed.;)
But as its also a safety issue, then your assessment is by far the best way to proceed.
Best wishes for a rapid repair.
Andy

Reactions: jonathan75

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Is that an aheadset? Can’t quite tell from the vid. If it is, you can loosen the stem bolts and the tighten up the top cap bolt (not too tight though; 5-6nm should do the trick). That should pull the forks up snug with the headtube and spacers, without placing any excess force on the upper and lower bearings. Whilst you are doing this (or outsourcing the work), take a peak at the upper and lower bearings and races to check they are not worn. Replace if the look dodgy - only a few quid, so worth it.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Whilst you are doing this (or outsourcing the work), take a peak at the upper and lower bearings and races to check they are not worn. Replace if the look dodgy - only a few quid, so worth it.
Thanks Kwozzymodo - that's really good advice, despite your good description I'm so 'green' that I think I'd better get a pro to do it, but I'll mention what you said, including to check the bearings and races. Appreciated.