Problem with the window looking out at my ebike ;)

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Nothing to do with e-bikes, sorry.. so if mods decide to wipe this- cest la vie..

Im stuck replacing the hinges in some upvc windows that no longer open/close easily. The new hinges on the 1st window attacked need fixing in new screw holes right next to the current holes - so close that if drilled with a tiny pilot drill the new screwhole would meet and merge with the old resulting in no grip?? using the existing holes with the new hinges at the end of the adjustment slots is just 3-4mm out of allowing the window to close..

all i can think of is either drilling/filling new holes in the metal hinges (limited options avoiding the sliding mechanisms) or repairing the current holes with an epoxy? or ? before drilling new pilot holes?

Any pointers/advice will be thankfully received?? even keywords for youtube searches

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Cheers, I have watched a few youtubes.. the problem is the frames have 2 sets of hinge screw holes already?? bad 1st fit?? and the usual technique of fitting to the corner edge requires new holes/screw positions that will result in zero support/holding capacity without repair of the upvc or plugging of the holes, I fear epoxy or the superglue + baking soda solutions would result in a plug that would get pushed out of place rather than providing the required support.. (forgive the laymans language..)

New different hinges?? hmm.... well if it had not been a hard battle finding this brand when replacing the first set that needed it a couple of years back sure ;) unfortunately the screwfix offerings nor those sold by the local independent h/ware shop fit at all..

Repair of the existing screw holes and fitting the new hinges as new if that makes sense seems like the optimum way forward?
Im going to give it a go with jb-weld and check the garage for some suitable foil to re-enforce,

I really hope this is the only window with so many holes i have 16x to replace before winter comes again..

Thanks fr the input/links..

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
They won't wipe it, all posted traffic is good.

But don't forget we have a forum for any off mainstream subject:

The Charging Post, for
General Chat
Anything that is not electric bike related.
DOH!! must have overlooked that in my state of confusion..

After searching for strong plastic fillers, and getting past the modeling clays, i found JB-Weld Plastic Putty, cures in 20 mins once mixed which was a concern with standard jb weld with its 24hour cure period.

superglue+baking powder is i fear too brittle to cope with self tapping screws in close proximity even with a pilot hole?

Panic over..
Would drilling holes in new hinge help?
sorry missed this.. Yes to some extent, though the viable area is limited since the slide mechanisms and pivot points need clearance. Metal however is a lot more work to work by hand than plastic is to fill tho..
slots would need cutting/filling not just holes , i guess a larger diameter hole and a washer might resolve that, still plastic filler still sounds better to me (if it works..)

Reactions: Az.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
New different hinges?? hmm.... well if it had not been a hard battle finding this brand when replacing the first set that needed it a couple of years back sure ;) unfortunately the screwfix offerings nor those sold by the local independent h/ware shop fit at all..

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Cheers @lenny on reflection it was the bathroom window locking/latching mechanism which also needed complete replacement due to rust that was the tricky element to source last time round, i recall the hassle and not the detail so much ;).

What threw me with this job was the multiple screwholes already in the frame and casement and the lack of advance you tube priming..

Either the 'teaboy' tasked with hinge fitting screwed up and they are all in this state having been refitted already, OR as this is the easiest widow the wider opening fire escape window, perhaps it had its original 'regular' replaced after the fact and i shot myself in the foot selecting this easy target ;) time will tell..

I have now done my you tube due diligence ;) even have a couple of vids bookmarked just in case i find i need a reference on the go..

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
:) cleaning, filling the holes with plastic putty and re-drilling central pilot holes Works!!!!!

Plastic putty arrived this morning and a quick fit later im very happy and have put in an order for the full set of replacements..

Working the putty just as its cured at the 20 min mark means its still plastic enough to deform with the main body and cure rigid in place to hold..

Thanks for the pointers and help..

Reactions: Az.