Problems Indexing on a 1x9

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
Shame about that! I would tend to go for a long reach derailleur so not to use extension, but only if the alignment tool does not work, and possibly a new inner wire.
I took out and cleaned/oiled the inner wire as i though that could well be the issue as it is problem indexing both ways and any form of snagging would cause that, but no. I have also just "popped" the old 11/32 back on and it indexed fine so I could just be going beyond the design capability of the Altus - but i am going to check the alignment before doing anything else as that sounds good practice whatever.

Halfords have the Deore at £28.99 :)

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
Update and conclusion.

I checked with an alignment tool and it was 22mm off when measured 180 degrees apart (top and bottom) and 5mm off left to right , so i straightened the hanger so it was level all round and it did not improve the indexing on the Altus. I then changed to a Deore and it works perfectly. :)

• Useful
Reactions: anotherkiwi

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Update and conclusion.

I checked with an alignment tool and it was 22mm off when measured 180 degrees apart (top and bottom) and 5mm off left to right , so i straightened the hanger so it was level all round and it did not improve the indexing on the Altus. I then changed to a Deore and it works perfectly. :)

well it is a alignment tool and not a mech hanger bending tool yes you can bend it back in to shape but i bet it will not be long b4 it is bent again as metal tends to go back to the shape it was and damage the new mech.

id just get a new hanger as less hassle in the long run :)

• Agree
Reactions: Blunderbuss