Problems with bike stands

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I recently ordered a Velomann bike stand from ebay, someone recommended the fixed one sold in Asda but I ordered the folding one. It arrived yesterday and I set about assembling it.
The inner vertical tube seemed a bit big, this meant it stuck fast in the adjuster and couldn't be shortened. I can live with that.
Then I had a similar problem at the top and the bolts weren't quite long enough to connect the parts together round the top of the tube, I managed to get them done up just and then noticed that the casting had cracked and a lug dropped off. So, I need to choose between repair or replacement.
Normally I'll accept that cheap off ebay means a bit rough round the edges but this wasn't particularly cheap so I wonder if sub £100 bike stands are all similar. It is Italian and pretty much consistant with what I hear about current Italian engineering, poor quality. The castings are mediocre and none of the bits fit correctly, the poor fit means none of the moving bits operate correctly if at all. The jaws don't open very wide and there is no way I can fit the 905se top tube into them, I'm not enamoured with the idea of clamping it to a seat post which in turn is attached to the bike with a quick release clamp.

My questions:
Am I expecting too much?
Do the clamps on most bike stands open wide enough to fit a modern oversize top tube?
Should I have gone to Park Tools?
Here's a couple of piccies of the broken bit.

Attachments

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
A lot of the stock that gets onto Ebay are rejects from the manufacturer (or copies).

You may have done better with this: Bike Tool Aluminium Workstand although I have no experience of it - it would certainly work on the seat post.

Clamping to the seat post is better for the balance of the bike (with battery removed). For security reasons I replaced the seat post quick release fitting with standard nut and bolt on my Wisper, so I have encountered no problems on my home-made workstand where the underneath of the saddle rests on two supports, one either side of the seat post.

Colin

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Damn bad luck :(

I got one (fixed not folding) from Tesco Direct in the new year and its been perfect.

PS I have always clamped on the seat tube (with the quick release bold fitted) though my heaviest bike was about 20kgs.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks,
I gave it a try tonight and whilst the seat post is good for clamping the 905 it's too far back for the 906 and the front wheel ends up below the back one. I don't think I will find a clamp big enough to take the top tube so I'll see if the shop can sort out the broken parts and I'll live with it, at least the feet fold away for storage.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
PayPal have finally agreed to refund me the money, time to start again and hopefully find a stand with a large clamp. Park Tools is looking attractive.