Problems with X Bike

Hand Tight

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2008
No reply to emails to Powabyke so thought I'd try here.

Bought X bike with 36 V system in Oct 2008. No problems until recently and very happy with bike, mainly used for 8 mile commute.

Recently however the battery seemed to stop retaining charge, ie after overnight charge getting only 2 lights out of 4 on state of charge indicator.
Check with multimeter shows ok output from transformer at 42V. Battery is indicating 38V so appears also to be ok.

Problem appears to be control box, has anyone on forum had similar problems? - will I need to replace the control box - and how much this likely to cost.

Please don't tell me to go to dealer only one here in Ireland and he's a long way from here!

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
Recently however the battery seemed to stop retaining charge, ie after overnight charge getting only 2 lights out of 4 on state of charge indicator.
Check with multimeter shows ok output from transformer at 42V. Battery is indicating 38V so appears also to be ok.

If your battery is showing only 38 volts when fully charged the problem is with your battery

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
If your battery is showing only 38 volts when fully charged the problem is with your battery
I agree, your battery should be reading higher.

Hand Tight

Aug 19, 2008
Thanks for the info guys, I thought if I was getting 38V that's ok for a 36V system. Need to do the light diploma in electrical engineering!....

Would have thought I'd get a bit more from the battery though, wasn't used anything like everyday

Will contact F Curran in the meantime, how much is battery going to set me back?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the info guys, I thought if I was getting 38V that's ok for a 36V system. Need to do the light diploma in electrical engineering!....

Would have thought I'd get a bit more from the battery though, wasn't used anything like everyday

Will contact F Curran in the meantime, how much is battery going to set me back?
These lithium battery types normally have around 41 volts fully charged and the usual 10 Ah types generally last around two years and cost from about £300 to £500 to replace. The small Powabyke battery is more stressed and might last a bit less time, so yours at about 17 months might be close to the end and have some failed cells. I don't know the current price but I'm fairly sure it's a lot lower than the others I've mentioned.

Hand Tight

Aug 19, 2008
Thanks Flecc. Going to take a serious look at the Bionx you mentioned on another thread seeing as there's prospect of a UK dealer