ProConnect Battery Housing

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I have had to have a look at the battery housing on my PC Disc this afternoon as the battery is rattling quite badly. The bike is only 7 months old. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on the lock.
I wonder if this has happened because the battery is bigger and heavier. There appear to be wear marks where it sits in the housing

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I don't think it has anything to do with the bigger battery, this problem has also appeared on older bikes utilising the smaller Panasonic battery.

James C provided details of one method to improving the situation. This involved placing pieces of inner-tube carefully cut to fit in the bottom of the bike's battery connector. Another method, and one which I use, was suggested by Lemmy. Lemmy's suggestion is to use a velcro strap which goes around the battery and seat tube to pull the battery securely into the lock housing.

It's not an ideal solution and I think the battery securing mechanism need further thought from the manufactures.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
I don't think it has anything to do with the bigger battery, this problem has also appeared on older bikes utilising the smaller Panasonic battery.

James C provided details of one method to improving the situation. This involved placing pieces of inner-tube carefully cut to fit in the bottom of the bike's battery connector. Another method, and one which I use, was suggested by Lemmy. Lemmy's suggestion is to use a velcro strap which goes around the battery and seat tube to pull the battery securely into the lock housing.

It's not an ideal solution and I think the battery securing mechanism need further thought from the manufactures.
The velcro looks to be a very thorough solution, particularly on rougher terrain.

In addition to the rubber inner tube between the battery and the base, I also put two cable ties around the seat tube; one above the lock and one beneath the lock but still underneath the lock plastic shroud.

This has the effect of using the thickness of the cable ties as "packing" between the seat tube and battery, and takes up the little bit of slack that exists there.

Not a complete cure like the velcro, but stops the vast majority of chatter that can wear away at the battery terminals.

James

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Regarding battery sizes, my experience is with the original Panasonic 10 Ah and the and the Panasonic 12 Ah both of which have identical casings and both of which benefit from some "packing".

I have no experience with the larger German 18 Ah battery.

James

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
After tightening the lock bracket i round that the are both very much impoved but the 18a is a better fit

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I packed the battery housing with some rubber but have just noticed on returning home tonight that the stand is very loose. Both screws needed a full turn each so that is probably what has been rattling!