Product Recall email from eBay.

Matt Jones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2013
A, A
I bought a cheap kit off eBay earlylast year, I recall it was about £120 or something, I was really just curious to see if a kit that cheap was useable, and actually it wasn’t too bad, but thats not the point.

Today, I got a message from the seller, declaring a recall (kit is long gone, bike sold on) I looked to see if it was a safety issue, but it appears it’s simply because it was overpowered in terms of EAPC law in the UK.

I recall the seller made it perfectly clear this was 500w kit and shouldn’t be used on UK roads.

I just find it strange that this seller is being made to recall these? And wonder what the implications are going forward for buying overpowered kits in the UK?

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the original advertising you bought from implied that it was UK legal, the supplier could be liable to prosecution, necessitating the recall.

If it had no mention of, or implication of legality, then its sale would not normally be illegal.

I can only think that there was some implication of legality or that there was an intermediary in the sales chain who was given the idea that it was UK legal.

The implication of legality can be very slight to be illegal, for example a single mention of EAPC, EPAC or Pedelec.

Reactions: Matt Jones

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've noticed that a lot of sellers of non-compliant stuff, like hoverboards, scooters, etc, all put a big disclaimer in their adverts, even private sellers. I had assumed that Ebay tells you to do that from the listing title.
Here's one, though not as obvious as others I've seen.

A quick check of Ebay shows no warnings on most of the 500w and above kits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Jones

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Don't you just love illegal kit users in the UK no wonder we have a bad rep

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Don’t you just love Karen’s, who make assumptions about where a bike was used without actually having a clue?

Correct... Ken

Whick "Ken" is why the poster stated "I bought a cheap kit off eBay earlylast year "