Programming Lead Com Port Problem

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I'm fairly new to ebikes so please bare with me.
I converted a Voodoo full sus mtb a while ago with 250w BBs01 kit and it has been great, but I would like to change some of the parameters re cadence etc so bought a lead from ebay. However, the laptop will not see a com port in the software, the supplier has sent a replacement but still have the same result.
When I first plug the lead into the laptop it goes ding dong ding etc but that is all, have tried it with the other end plugged into the bike on the green connector with the battery on and off.

Any help much appreciated.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Welcome to Windows hardware installation. You should open up Device Manager, where you'll probably see it listed with an exclamation mark next to it. Right click it and select " update driver", then install the driver that came with it.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
OK, just found it in device manager as suggested and there is an exclamation mark on it, did the right click and update driver but it was unable to do this. I did not receive any drivers with the lead

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you get a driver to install, right click where the exclamation mark is and uninstall the device, then unplug it and load in your new driver. Hopefully, when you plug in again, it should find the right one.

One other thing: If you double click the line with the exclamation mark, it should tell you what's wrong.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I was hoping all this was going to be plug and play.....and I'm don't really knowing what I'm doing so will wait for my lead supplier who is going to send another lead with a "custom chip" so fingers crossed for that.

Many thanks for the help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I was hoping all this was going to be plug and play.....and I'm don't really knowing what I'm doing so will wait for my lead supplier who is going to send another lead with a "custom chip" so fingers crossed for that.

Many thanks for the help.
Whatever you plug into a USB, Windows will try to figure out what it is and load appropriate drivers from its small library. These standard drivers work for keyboards, flash drives and mice provided they don't have any special features, but just about anything else needs specific drivers for the device, which you get from the manufacturer's website. In that respect, the custom chip device is less likely to work than the standard one.

If you load a device from a well-known brand, like an Epson Printer, Windows will probably recognise it from it's known list, and it will then link to the source where you can download the drivers from and do it all automatically, but often, you get minimalist functionality from the device like that. To get the full functions and advanced features, you need to download the drivers and software from the manufacturer's website.

The procedure for all new USB devices is to load the software and drivers first, then plug in the device, though there are some exceptions to that, when it indicates what to do in the manufacturer'r instructions.

Things really go wrong if you plug in first and Windows loads the wrong driver because that driver will often stay assigned even if you load the correct one afterwards.

You can't ignore these things and hope that they'll go away because they won't.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For simple ebiking one needs to buy an already made bike from a vendor/dealer, kit bikes are for those who don't mind getting the spanners out.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Whatever you plug into a USB, Windows will try to figure out what it is and load appropriate drivers from its small library. These standard drivers work for keyboards, flash drives and mice provided they don't have any special features, but just about anything else needs specific drivers for the device, which you get from the manufacturer's website. In that respect, the custom chip device is less likely to work than the standard one.

If you load a device from a well-known brand, like an Epson Printer, Windows will probably recognise it from it's known list, and it will then link to the source where you can download the drivers from and do it all automatically, but often, you get minimalist functionality from the device like that. To get the full functions and advanced features, you need to download the drivers and software from the manufacturer's website.

The procedure for all new USB devices is to load the software and drivers first, then plug in the device, though there are some exceptions to that, when it indicates what to do in the manufacturer'r instructions.

Things really go wrong if you plug in first and Windows loads the wrong driver because that driver will often stay assigned even if you load the correct one afterwards.

You can't ignore these things and hope that they'll go away because they won't.
I was not aware of having to load drivers first and then plug in, my lead came with no instructions and I don't recall seeing it anywhere but it does make sense now. Maybe there should be a "Sticky" somewhere on the forum to help people in the future ??

Another forum member has also helped via PM and I now have a com port link but the bafang programme will still not connect so I'm going to return the leads and start again with another supplier.

Are there any "recommended" suppliers for programming leads ?

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
For simple ebiking one needs to buy an already made bike from a vendor/dealer, kit bikes are for those who don't mind getting the spanners out.
Yes totally agree Nealh, however I do enjoy twiddling the spanners and it has been very enjoyable building the Ebike which has been faultless for over 1000 miles....so far...but it is the electronic twiddling that is the problem for me. Also I still find it hard to justify the prices being charged for full suspension emtb's at the moment, hopefully prices will come down.

My partner bought a non kit ebike, (Raleigh Centros) and both bikes have features I like and dislike but I'm quite happy with the Voodoo emtb at the moment.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I was not aware of having to load drivers first and then plug in, my lead came with no instructions and I don't recall seeing it anywhere but it does make sense now. Maybe there should be a "Sticky" somewhere on the forum to help people in the future ??

Another forum member has also helped via PM and I now have a com port link but the bafang programme will still not connect so I'm going to return the leads and start again with another supplier.

Are there any "recommended" suppliers for programming leads ?
It's not a problem with the leads. It's your computer that you have to sort out. As I said, right clicking the entry in the device manager will tell you what's wrong, so you can figure out what you have to do. Everybody has to go through this and set the lead up with drivers. Sometimes you have to assign com ports because the driver tries to put you on the same port as the mouse, so it can't work.

If you can't do it yourself, find someone that knows about Windows setup and ask them to do it for you.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I often look at these types of things as a journey......and I think I've only taken just a few steps so far, but it is always good to learn new stuff.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Good news. A lead from another supplier arrived today and it all worked first time :):)
This was the lead ebay 282891248569 for anyone interested.

Have now read, saved and made one small change to the keep current(and checked it was saved on the controller) so now just have to decide what to change etc.

VFR400, is the 400 a distant memory or a current one. About 20yrs ago I was asked by a friend to "look after" a RVF400 for the summer as she had the builders in. At the time I had just bought a CBR900 (which I still have) and between the two it was a fantastic summer, brilliant bikes and happy memories.

Last edited: