Prop stands

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
The propstand is perfectly ok of there's no additional weight on the bike, failures usually result from excess loadings. For example, abruptly jolting the bike down onto the stand leg, being seated on the bike and letting it lean down onto the stand leg, propping onto the stand with a very large pannier or carrier load.

Although the Granstand one you link to holds the bike roughly upright, it can stress the rim and/or spokes and lead to an out of true wheel, so I don't favour that type at all.
Thanks for the reassurance Flecc - I think I just need to make sure the kids know not to climb onto the bike. They haven't yet but I wouldn't put anything past them!

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
You could easily make one of these from a couple of fibreglass tent poles and a bit of shock cord. In fact buy an Aldi beach shelter for less than £10, use the nylon to cover your bike in the shed, and make two of these stands out of the already shock-corded poles!

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
You could easily make one of these from a couple of fibreglass tent poles and a bit of shock cord. In fact buy an Aldi beach shelter for less than £10, use the nylon to cover your bike in the shed, and make two of these stands out of the already shock-corded poles!
The whole point of fiberglass tent poles is that the bend easily, that might not be desirable in a prop stand :eek:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
The Joy of Stands?

Help! I just don’t get it. Why people like bike stands, I mean.

If I’m using a bike that has one, I’ll probably use it, though I might not.

But if the bike doesn’t have one, I don’t miss it.

I have never once thought ‘gosh, I wish this bike had some extra bits of metal and a hinge so it will stand up all on its own.’

Is this a pleasure of life which I am denying myself? :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I have never once thought ‘gosh, I wish this bike had some extra bits of metal and a hinge so it will stand up all on its own.’

My bike's got two! :eek:

And I do have to have them both, believe it or not, scroll two thirds down this web page to see why:

Twin bike stands

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually I agree with you Andy, most cyclists don't really need a stand of any sort and years ago they were a rarity, mainly only the large twin leg stands seen on trade bikes, the sort with a big basket or load platform over the front wheel.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009

you're missing out! One was already attached to a used bike I bought a while ago. I was goung to remove it but I found it so useful I left it on and I've been fitting them to my bikes ever since. It does help to avoid scratching up your handlebars when leaning the bike against something.