Puncture Resistant - Puncture Proof

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Bike supplier is wondering if I really want Marathon Plus tyres fitted as: the bike already comes with K-shield puncture resistant tyres; they already look substantial for what is provided in the spec?

Tyre supplied with bike is this:
CST C1446 Anti Puncture
I've tried looking for reviews/comments on this tyre but can't find anything.
Anybody know if this tyre is good at puncture resistance?
I presumed K-shield is a Kevlar strip but it might mean Kenda.

Any advice gratefully received.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Out of interest what is the make/model of the bike?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Bike supplier is wondering if I really want Marathon Plus tyres fitted as: the bike already comes with K-shield puncture resistant tyres; they already look substantial for what is provided in the spec?

Tyre supplied with bike is this:
CST C1446 Anti Puncture
I've tried looking for reviews/comments on this tyre but can't find anything.
Anybody know if this tyre is good at puncture resistance?
I presumed K-shield is a Kevlar strip but it might mean Kenda.

Any advice gratefully received.
Hi Taff,

CST is a far east manufacturer of tyres, they come standard on many bikes these days, CST also make tyres for other manufacturers (look for Chen Shing Tyres (CST) on the side)

From my experience they are a basic tyre, they do offer the Puncture Resistant Kevlar ones but they are quite a thin layer of rubber so are a little vulnerable to punctures, also the side walls can crack easily if left over the winter.

As said by others on here swap out to Scwalbe's tyres, they offer a puncture resistant kevlar tyre for every different need. If you on the road take a look at the Marathon Plus Tour's (Best tyre by far). For more track work, check out the Marathon ATB Plus's.

Regards
Martin

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks Martin - that convinces me.

Regarding thorn proof tubes; are they still available?
Yes get Slime tubes, with these tubes combined with Schwalbe Puncture resistant tyres..
If you were unlucky enough to get a puncture.. Some one is against you!

Slime tubes are great they seal up to 3mm, which is a considerable big hole! The only thing they struggle with is rips and glass punctures (Something the kevlar guard in the tyres should resist).

I have even seen Slime seal a 5mm valve hole before. So make sure if injecting the slime yourself, you blow the valve hole through with a pump before inserting the valve back in. Alternatively buy the pre sealed slime tubes.

Regards
Martin

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Hi Taff,

CST is a far east manufacturer of tyres, they come standard on many bikes these days, CST also make tyres for other manufacturers (look for Chen Shing Tyres (CST) on the side)

From my experience they are a basic tyre, they do offer the Puncture Resistant Kevlar ones but they are quite a thin layer of rubber so are a little vulnerable to punctures, also the side walls can crack easily if left over the winter.
Think a bit of its chinese crap snobbery is showing through.

not exactly a tin pot outfit

About CST

Most reviews of their tyres while certainly not claiming they are the best do seem to all say that for the price they are a good tyre.

Taff If I was you I would give them a go for a while with maybe some of the Giant thorn proof tubes which will cost £3.50 for two plus postage

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-inner-tube-26x15-175-thorn-resistant-sv-id73291.html

After all you can still always replace them later.

Still got them on my Cross

Last edited:

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Think a bit of its chinese crap snobbery is showing through.

not exactly a tin pot outfit

About CST

Most reviews of their tyres while certainly not claiming they are the best do seem to all say that for the price they are a good tyre.

Taff If I was you I would give them a go for a while (with maybe some of the Giant thorn proof tubes which will cost less than a fiver). Afer all you can still always replace them later.

Still got them on my Cross
Garry,

No Chinese crap snobbery here, in fact I have CST's on the shelf for sale as an after market tyre, also have about 20 or so bikes on the shelf coming as standard with them.

Just giving an honest opinion ;)

Martin

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Garry,

No Chinese crap snobbery here, in fact I have CST's on the shelf for sale as an after market tyre, also have about 20 or so bikes on the shelf coming as standard with them.

Just giving an honest opinion ;)

Martin
I did say a bit :D

sorry if my edit has confused any one.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Garry

GIANT INNERTUBE 700X35-43C SCHRADER THORN RESISTANT

Is this the correct tube and size for me to order for the Neo Cross?

Tony

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
... and not to be confused with CST motors which are an 8Fun production .... and nothing whatever to do with the tyres so far as I'm aware !

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
JE James - non in stock.
Shop has got back to me they are going to order them from somewhere else so I'll end up with what I want.
Nice.