Puncture Resistant - Puncture Proof

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
When I do get my bike, which is very soon I hope, I would like to make it a puncture free life. Being clumsy it takes me ages and ages to change inner tubes.
Can anyone recommend tyres that offer high puncture resistance?
Taff

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The most puncture resistant ones are Schwalbe Marathon Plus, they have a thick inner protective layer and can be ridden over drawing pins without full penetration for example. Quite expensive though.

N.B. Posts crossed

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
They look pretty good. Do for me! Just need the right bike now. Here's hoping tomorrow with Kudos Dave and others will help.
Cheers

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Good luck with the test rides. If you have any questions about our bikes you can contact us. Also any bike ordered gets 10% off accessories and we also stock Schwalbe tyres. Hope the weather is good and you get to test some great bikes!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've got these, and when my cycling companions have all suffered punctures from thorns I've got away with it, perhaps I've just been lucky.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Don't be fooled into thinking all puncture resistance is equal - It ain't!

I have Schwalbe Land Rangers on mine & have spent many a happy half-hour sat on a tree stump changing tubes.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Wider tyres are more puncture resistant than narrow ones, at the expense of some rolling resistance.

It's worth regularly going over the tyres with a stiff brush which will help remove bits of glass and flinty bits before they work their way in.

If you can't be bothered to do that, at least give the tyres a quick glance and remove anything obvious stuck between the treads.

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
I'm a big fan of the Giant Thorn proof tubes, tyres stay up for ever and no punctures since I started using them. Basically a much thicker tube - I couldn't believe how big the boxes were when they arrived. and just £1.75
link

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
When I do get my bike, which is very soon I hope, I would like to make it a puncture free life. Being clumsy it takes me ages and ages to change inner tubes.
Can anyone recommend tyres that offer high puncture resistance?
Taff
I did a tubeless conversion on my rear wheel, as it's the one that would cause most pain in the bum to repair a puncture on. It's worked fine so far, and cost next to nothing. I can't say how many punctures I've not had with it - I haven't fished anything out of the tyre carcass, yet this area is strewn with thorns at the end of summer and they lie in the ruts all year long, previously causing me some grief. I've had no thorn grief at all, since going tubeless.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I'm a big fan of the Giant Thorn proof tubes, tyres stay up for ever and no punctures since I started using them. Basically a much thicker tube - I couldn't believe how big the boxes were when they arrived. and just £1.75
link
My xtrme has these inside a set of Marathon Plus MTB tyres. I reckon at this means at thickest needs a 8 mm plus object to pierce :D.

Has added a bit of weight but handles fine and as its a ebike cant really tell the difference.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
My xtrme has these inside a set of Marathon Plus MTB tyres. I reckon at this means at thickest needs a 8 mm plus object to pierce :D.

Has added a bit of weight but handles fine and as its a ebike cant really tell the difference.
Appropos of nuffin....

It occurs to me that there must be a quite significant gyro effect caused by that much mass at the rim.

I wonder if the centrifugal force generated on a decent descent would be enough to affect turnability?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
F
Maybe someone else who has used it can confirm if its any good.
I bought something similar from Buyology, for a quid a can:

Haven't used it yet, mainly because I can never find the thorn in a fairly knobbly tyre, so can't extract it without taking the tyre off & running my fingers round the inside:

The utterance of a coarse expression then indicates the sharp objects location :rolleyes:

I think it was d8veh who warned that you still need your pump with you.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011

Ive done same with mine, but just fitted a Kanda heavy duty tube to wifes 24inch road tyre and it was like stuffing a pair of jack boots inside. Dont want to do that again.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
F

I bought something similar from Buyology, for a quid a can:

Haven't used it yet, mainly because I can never find the thorn in a fairly knobbly tyre, so can't extract it without taking the tyre off & running my fingers round the inside:

The utterance of a coarse expression then indicates the sharp objects location :rolleyes:

I think it was d8veh who warned that you still need your pump with you.
Good that it works then. My nephew has a puncture in a bog standard mountain bike so might test it on that.

Noticed this as well
No flats tubeless tire system - YouTube

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

+1 on the tyres - fitted a pair of those in 2.1 size to the Trek. With these inner tubes which don't "balloon" if punctured - they compress to self-heal hopefully enough to get you home on the puncture :

Michelin Protek Max Inner Tube 26x1.85/2.30 - Inner Tubes - ACYCLES

Tubes are thick and knobbly - 290g each tho' so not the lightest. Tyres and tubes were fine to fit on the eBike rim (I can do even a reasonably tough tyre in a few minutes now), but on the light tubeless-ready race rim at the front was an absolute b'stard from new - best part of 1/2 an hour and cramp in the hands by the time the tyres were stretched and loosened up enough to get them on over the rim. Really does depend on your rims.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Appropos of nuffin....

It occurs to me that there must be a quite significant gyro effect caused by that much mass at the rim.

I wonder if the centrifugal force generated on a decent descent would be enough to affect turnability?
As I said its fine. I reckon it would have to be going stupidly fast for it to have any affect like that after all a motorcycle wheel weighs far more and you can steer one of those fine.