Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Just ordered a 2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500 from my local bike shop this morning

Went with the 23" frame but no stocks of that size in the red, so ordered the black. Got a bit of a discount for attending their recent Cycle Fest event. It should be with me next week

Thanks for everyones help over the recent weeks
as to be honest I found it a bit of a mine field choosing the correct ebike, as theres so much choice.

I initially wanted a road/hybrid bike for commuting, which with a non ebike would have made sense, but having tried a few different ebikes at their Cycle Fest I realised that a mountain bike would cover more bases. The motor overcomes any resistance from the tyres which helps make an electric mountain bike perfect for my short 5 mile commutes, whilst also allowing me to play in the mud if I choose. I also discovered from trying out all those bikes that the Bosch CX motor would be great for me. Cant wait for it to arrive....

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Yay, exactly the same as mine then. Even down to the colour. Bit bigger tho. Really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it

Reactions: The Bear

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I will certainly be letting you know how I go on when I get it

Before buying it I nipped into Evans Cycles as they had a 2017 Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500. They let me have a go on it outside and it was really nice. It was the 21" and fit me quite well but I couldn't help but think a 23" would be a better fit. With a bit of discount I might have bought it, but decided to hold out and went to my preferred shop to get the 2018 Race instead.

Ive got a week or so to concrete a ground anchor in my garage, and see if my house insurance will cover it.

I'll be looking for some mudguards for my winter commute, and lights of course.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I will certainly be letting you know how I go on when I get it

Before buying it I nipped into Evans Cycles as they had a 2017 Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500. They let me have a go on it outside and it was really nice. It was the 21" and fit me quite well but I couldn't help but think a 23" would be a better fit. With a bit of discount I might have bought it, but decided to hold out and went to my preferred shop to get the 2018 Race instead.

Ive got a week or so to concrete a ground anchor in my garage, and see if my house insurance will cover it.

I'll be looking for some mudguards for my winter commute, and lights of course.
Don't forget shock pump for front shocks and shock lube, shop or youtube should be able to suggest suitable one.

• Informative

Paddi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
i'm actually looking at this model the now , originally i was wanting the Turbo levo HT , but Dales in Glasgow don't do them anymore , and i really like the look of this Cube bike... so any feedback would be great before i purchase

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
i'm actually looking at this model the now , originally i was wanting the Turbo levo HT , but Dales in Glasgow don't do them anymore , and i really like the look of this Cube bike... so any feedback would be great before i purchase
Some on here have this bike already, and they all seem very pleased with it.

I rode the 2017 Cube Reaction HPA Race 500 yesterday at a different shop and it was really nice to ride. Had it been available in my size I would probably have bought it.

But the 2018 model does look slightly better with the battery partially sunken into the frame.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Don't forget shock pump for front shocks and shock lube, shop or youtube should be able to suggest suitable one.
Is this something I actually need? Will I need to keep topping up the air and lubing the forks? Ive never had air for before.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
So any recommendation for mudguards for this bike?

I'll be needing them over the winter for commuting. I quite like the look of the ones that Cube fit to their 'all road' models, but they are £50..

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
I was comparing the 2017 and 18 Race versions before I went for the 2018 and there were a few other differences too. Some I forget, but definitely different tyres (2.6 compared to 2.3 I think), also different rims, forks, maybe cassette? And improved dropper post options. Anyway, all the 2017s were sold out, which was the main thing that swung it!

Nice having room for the bottle cage tho!

Keep us informed of mud guard choice as I still haven't purchased yet, and got stinking on the way to work the other day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Paddi

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
So any recommendation for mudguards for this bike?
I bought OEM Whyte mudguards for my bike (thinking I'd be getting the best for the bike), and could have done so much better if I'd gone for good branded generic ones. If you look at how short the front one is on your photo, it's not going to protect your feet or legs to half way up your shins, and the spray/splash area's going to be about halfway up the battery. I'm expecting to replace my front guard with one that's much lower at the back, and with much less flex in it coz my recent attempts at what seemed like a good extension have proved anything but successful :(

Gaz

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Is this something I actually need? Will I need to keep topping up the air and lubing the forks? Ive never had air for before.
it is handy to have one but the shop could set the sag of the fork when you get it.

less air means it is more soft just depends what psi is in the fork due to ur waight to set the sag ring norm is 20%

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETO-PRECISION-SHOCK-PUMP-400-psi-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-SUSPENSION-FORK-CYCLE-/253189117906?hash=item3af33f57d2:g:IrAAAOSw8OJZ06j4

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They look good. I have a sexy looking front fender on rear wheel at the moment, I feel that if it stopped me getting wet it would be even better...

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Bear

Just ordered the following mudguards and lights for my own Cube. Will let you know how they perform.

SKS Velo 65 Trekking Front and Rear Snap-On Fender Set, 26/29-Inch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008OPUCA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brite-R Duo 2x CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle Front Head Light inc. 7200mAh Recharageable Battery + Charger

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I5NA91E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those mudguards look decent. I’d be interested to know if you think they’d be ok for 29” wheels.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
They should pressure for weeks if not months but good to have one for varying pressure. Lower/softer for commuting, harder for offroad.

You spray this around top tubes to help them slide, protect from corrosion and also cleaning. I'd recommend doing weekly if commuting or after every MTB ride. Look for youtube videos on it.
Servicing is shop job.