Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Nice looking bike!
I'm curious: why didn't you get the Allroad Pro? It comes already fitted with lights and fenders.

Regarding fitting the dongle: I agree that it's a must have.

• Agree
Reactions: DangerousDave79

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Nice looking bike!
I'm curious: why didn't you get the Allroad Pro? It comes already fitted with lights and fenders.

I decided to go with the Race for the better suspension and different gearing. Also, Cube told me that the Allroad model was for Germany only.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I visited the Cube stand at the Cycle Show in September. They told me it was for Germany only.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It really puts the bike into commutter mode, just eating up the miles, my average speed taken from strava with dongle on is about 28/29km/h and thats cruising
Interesting. My first bike with the Mxus hub motor restricted to 25 km/h I averaged 26.7 km/h (measured over several hundred km). I didn't measure but I am sure that the unrestricted GSM would have averaged over 30 km/h on the flat and at the moment I am averaging 23-24 km/h because I hardly ever ride over the cut off in town.

gwing

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2008
Chiltern Hills
Nice looking bike!

I guess it depends on what you want. We have a couple of these bikes here as well and, before owning them, I was sure that I would be fitting a dongle within the first couple of weeks. Now, being a couple of weeks and quite a few miles on them, I'm feeling that there is no need for a dongle at all and I'd rather have the extra mileage than the extra speed.

That said we live in a very hilly area and ride for pleasure on small roads and single track where we can. If I was commuting on larger roads I would for sure fit that dongle to cut a bit off my commute time.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
I'd rather have the extra mileage than the extra speed
well, milage does not change at all if you ride under 25km/h. The dongle does nothing until you reach the cutoff speed.Also a proper dongle (like the one I have) allows you to disable/enable it anytime you like, giving you maximum flexibility.

BTW I ride mostly on pretty narrow bike paths, so I ride 90% of the time within 25km/h anyway. But the nice thing is not feeling the cutoff when you approach the limit, and of course being able to go a little faster when needed, which improves safety quite e bit in several situations.

well, milage does not change at all if you ride under 25km/h. The dongle does nothing until you reach the cutoff speed.Also a proper dongle (like the one I have) allows you to disable/enable it anytime you like, giving you maximum flexibility.

BTW I ride mostly on pretty narrow bike paths, so I ride 90% of the time within 25km/h anyway. But the nice thing is not feeling the cutoff when you approach the limit, and of course being able to go a little faster when needed, which improves safety quite e bit in several situations.
just to add for completeness.

It is also totally illegal, so turns your bicycle into to a motorbike (in the eyes of the law). So your riding an illegal motorbike on these narrow bike paths.

You're also the person who made the change, so you are the legal manufacturer of the new motor vehicle with all the legal responsibilities that come with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrew K
Totally true. Fortunately my dongle is basically undetectable (unless you open up the motor) so I feel pretty cool about it.
Of course riding with care is ALWAYS a must. As I said before I never go over 25km/h unless conditions allow me to do it safely.
undetectable unless of course you're involved in an accident, or indeed need to claim on your warranty.

Much like drink driving... it safe until something happens.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
undetectable unless of course you're involved in an accident, or indeed need to claim on your warranty.
well the accident has to be incredibly serious: if that's the case, then the dongle might be an minor issue.
Regarding warranty: I bought the dongle from a dealer, and he assured me that he will honor the warranty.

BTW you are absolutely right at pointing out every possible implication. It's important that they are clear to anyone considering installing it.

well the accident has to be incredibly serious: if that's the case, then the dongle might be an minor issue.
Well no, it wouldn't be a minor issue.

You'd have built a motorbike and be riding it illegally, un insured with no tax or insurance.

But yes the chances of getting caught are slim, but cyclists are involved in accidents all the time. At some point one will involve an illegally modified eBike. Currently we're just waiting to see who will be the test case.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I suspect it's more likely you would get caught by the police whilst riding your mountain bike at 30 mph on a flat road rather than through an accident.

Perhaps a mirror is a wise investment.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well today I did my first bit of mountain biking on my Cube Reaction Race. Went to Sherwood Pines near to Sherwood Forest where they have some great off road trails, graded in difficulty by coloured routes (green/blue/red). Got the bike very muddy but it performed brilliantly, keeping me going on all terrains.

Last edited:

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Well no, it wouldn't be a minor issue.

You'd have built a motorbike and be riding it illegally, un insured with no tax or insurance.

But yes the chances of getting caught are slim, but cyclists are involved in accidents all the time. At some point one will involve an illegally modified eBike. Currently we're just waiting to see who will be the test case.
Don’t forget the rider who was jailed for having an accident at just 18mph but had no front brake. I think you would be viewed in the same way.
But what really worries me is that the backlash might affect us all.

gwing3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
Don’t forget the rider who was jailed for having an accident at just 18mph but had no front brake. I think you would be viewed in the same way.
But what really worries me is that the backlash might affect us all.
I don't think he was jailed for having no front brake. I think he was jailed because of the public and press outrage at his behaviour and the missing front brake provided the nominal justification.

So, if you are riding an uninsured illegal electric motorbike, then seriously injure someone, act like a complete prick and get the whole country angry with you, you can expect to be well and truly exampled. If you are just caught riding said illegal vehicle it'll probably be only costly to your wallet and licence.

redalexx

Pedelecer
@The Bear congratulations to your bike!

I commute with the 2017 bike since mid of June and I want to give my experience, maybe it's helping.

If you have no real mudguards like somewhere at the beginning of this thread, you'll get dirty. I use the mudguards in the rear (see above) and at the front (see below). My backpack it just a little dirty and I have no dirt in the face any more. The bike? Yea it's muddy every day - but when it's muddy - I'm happy :)

Lights, i don't want to take care about other battery powered stuff like lights or cams. So I decided to use install lights powered by the Bosch battery. In the rear under the saddle is a supernova - very bright. In the front the bike shop recommended the B&M EYC because I had a budget of just 100 Euro. For my use case it's ok - of course there are better and more expensive lights.

If you have the EMTB Software, then take care of your chain. Mine lasts only 2.500km. At 5.000km the cassette needs to be changed also (expensive!).

Would be nice if you join the pedelecmonitor (english: ebikemonitor) and share your experience with the bike when you hit the 5.000km.

My CUBE Reaction experiences with photos (german, but google translator implemented)

Reactions: LeighPing

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hi,

Bit of a thread bump...

How are you all getting on with the bike a few months in?

Any recommendations on what rack might fit?

Thanks,

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Im still using men for commuting most days, with the odd day at Forrest Pines (Nr Worksop) for some off road riding. hats what I like about the Cube Race, its good at both types of riding.

Ive often thought about getting a rack, so Id be interested in what others think.

Ive added bar ends to my handle bars to make my hand position more comfortable.

Ive also fitted a Badass 3.4 dongle which make my commute so much more comfortable, being able to keep up with traffic and not feeling the treacle effect of the motor turning off at 15mph.

Reactions: LeighPing