Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Thanks - hopefully there is a rack thats recommended ... or I wonder do Cube make a specific product that fits?

Or are racks pretty standard for bikes with nothing being special about e-bike and a standard disc brake rack would fit?

Many thanks,

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Racks seem to be pretty standard and will fit a 29" tyre but with little room for a rear mudguard. I've fitted a couple to friends bikes.
I have a Topeak Super Tourist on both my Cube Hpa Slt 500 and on my Trek Powerfy 9. The matching bag for the rack slides on rails and locks into position (no straps). If you have 29" tyres get the "uni" model as this is adjustable for height and gives plenty of room for mudguards.
The non-disc versions fit bikes with disks ok but don't stick out as much. Can't really see the need for a disc version.
If you intend to fit panniers, get the model with the pannier rails.
Just an after thought but the rack also provides good support for the rear mudguard. Mine are just fastened to the rack with cable ties and are very sturdy.

Reactions: The Bear

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Racks seem to be pretty standard and will fit a 29" tyre but with little room for a rear mudguard. I've fitted a couple to friends bikes.
I have a Topeak Super Tourist on both my Cube Hpa Slt 500 and on my Trek Powerfy 9. The matching bag for the rack slides on rails and locks into position (no straps). If you have 29" tyres get the "uni" model as this is adjustable for height and gives plenty of room for mudguards.
The non-disc versions fit bikes with disks ok but don't stick out as much. Can't really see the need for a disc version.
If you intend to fit panniers, get the model with the pannier rails.
Just an after thought but the rack also provides good support for the rear mudguard. Mine are just fastened to the rack with cable ties and are very sturdy.
Very interesting, thanks.

So if I got the Topeak Uni Super Tourist rack for non disc breaks, it should still fit my Cube Race that has disc breaks?

And is it the Topeak MTX DXP bag that would simply slide onto the rack? One of the Amazon reviewers claims it needs an additional part for it to slide on (perhaps he has a different rack?)

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
And is it the Topeak MTX DXP bag that would simply slide onto the rack? One of the Amazon reviewers claims it needs an additional part for it to slide on (perhaps he has a different rack?)
Both the racks and the bags are available in versions with and without the Topeak rack mounting system. Its the 'MTX' part that refers to that clipping mechanism. If both parts are MTX, you should be good to go.

edit - I think the rack part might refer to it as 'quick track'

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks GLJoe, that simplifies it nicely.

I think Ive sussed the different versions of the MTX Trunkbags, they seem to differ by the option of expandable lid and fold out panniers. Not sure if I would catch my heels on the panniers though...

EX - Normal bag
EXP - As EX but with fold out panniers
DX - As EX but with expandable lid
DXP - AS DX but with fold out panniers

Last edited:

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hmmm ...

I have the Race Allroad pro (with mudguards) just tried to fit the super stable Tobus Logo from my Dawes Super Galaxy. Width is fine, but the plastic clips that hold on the mudguards wont really fit and the rack fouls the mudguard stays it would need to run through it (sorta) not really possible. You could tie it on with tiewraps or (better) jubilee clips but it would also mean the mudguard upper part rubs on the top of the rack (narrowest part) as it fits in with a few mm to spare which means banging and clanking over all the potholes etc.

I really really wanted to use the Tobus as it's a great rack with ortlieb panniers.

I guess the hunt goes on but it would be good to see some photos of those who have manged to fit a rack with the race allroad mudguards.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Also the bit that clamps onto the seatstay rack mounts would need to be somewhat flexible (ie bendable) bit like the silver bits on the topeak above as they are not actually flat in line with the bike but have a slight angle. The tobus is super rigid and would not be bendable to fit.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I have the Race Allroad pro (with mudguards)...
I originally wanted the Allroad but I was told by Cube themselves that the Allroad was only for the German market. Seems they lied to me!

Last edited:

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I originally wanted the Allroad but I was told by Cube themselves that the Allroad was only for the German market. Seems they lied to me!
I bough an Allroad and there were several differences with a UK spec bike, the brake levers were the opposite way round to what I'd expect, the back light was on the near side so not very visible from behind and the charger came with a European plug.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I bough an Allroad and there were several differences with a UK spec bike, the brake levers were the opposite way round to what I'd expect, the back light was on the near side so not very visible from behind and the charger came with a European plug.
So maybe they were made just for Germany, but you managed to buy from a shop that had managed to import them?

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Very interesting, thanks.

So if I got the Topeak Uni Super Tourist rack for non disc breaks, it should still fit my Cube Race that has disc breaks?

Yes The rack and bag are the same as on my Cube and Trek, actually I just swap the bag around, apart from the spacer blocks for the disc rotor which are welded to the bottom of the stays.
I didn't like it sticking out so much so I went for the non-disc version for both bikes. The uni version is adjustable and fits both the 27.5" Cube and the 29" Trek.
Also I wasn't keen on bending the support stays down to meet the threaded holes in the seat stay tubes (didn't quite look right) so I bought a universal seat post clamp that has a boss either side for mounting a rack. This was only cheap.
The bag slides onto the rack and locks in position with the yellow quick release hook. It doesn't need any other support as it locks into the slider rails. I carry about 5 kilos in it and it is very stable. A friend's rattled at first but a tap with a mallet on the runners cured this.
I went for the bag without the panniers as I have separate panniers and the integral panniers were a bit flimsy. This also gave me more pocket room.
I still have the receipts and the rack was a "Uni Super Tourist DX non disc" 24" - 29". The bag was " MTX Trunkbag DX". They also make a similar rack without the secondary rails for the panniers.
Hope this helps and I have found them to be perfect for my use.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks BazP

I was researching them last night and came to a similar conclusion to yourself, to get the Topeak MTX DX bag with extendable lid, but without internal panniers so I have more pocket room.

Then either get their Uni Super Tourist rack, which I notice has a horizontal pannier bar running across each side, which could be useful when tying things down..

Or their Explorer 29er rack which is slimmer looking but doesn't have the two horizontal pannier bars..

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks GLJoe, that simplifies it nicely.

I think Ive sussed the different versions of the MTX Trunkbags, they seem to differ by the option of expandable lid and fold out panniers. Not sure if I would catch my heels on the panniers though...
I have put the big 22L DXP trunk bag on my own Cube reaction with rack. I don't catch my heels on the folded out panniers.
I bought this biggest version because I wanted to be able to easily carry a spare battery on both sides. It swallows them with ease. Its a pretty big bag!
I also have (and to be honest, probably prefer), this one from Evans:
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-top-rack-pack-EV180219
However the expanding sides are nowhere near big enough. Although ironically, even though it seems smaller than the Topeak,. the angular shape of it does mean that one battery can fit inside! I don't think the Topeak manages this.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
YEs, I can see how the Evans bag might have a larger main compartment. Personally, I think I like the MTX click system of the Topeak for ease of use.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
YEs, I can see how the Evans bag might have a larger main compartment. Personally, I think I like the MTX click system of the Topeak for ease of use.
If you're taking the rack bag on and off a lot, then yes, the quick release of the Topeak would be fantastic.
I'm fortunate that I don't usually have to leave my bikes anywhere that's not secure, so I have normal racks and use the velcro mounts (even my big Topeak bag is the non MTX version) however they can be a real PITA when I do want to change them around from bike to bike!