Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I have put the big 22L DXP trunk bag on my own Cube reaction with rack. I don't catch my heels on the folded out panniers.
I bought this biggest version because I wanted to be able to easily carry a spare battery on both sides. It swallows them with ease. Its a pretty big bag!
I also have (and to be honest, probably prefer), this one from Evans:
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-top-rack-pack-EV180219
However the expanding sides are nowhere near big enough. Although ironically, even though it seems smaller than the Topeak,. the angular shape of it does mean that one battery can fit inside! I don't think the Topeak manages this.
If your talking about the main compartment and not the pannier sides then a battery will easily fit inside the Topeak with plenty of room down the side. You would struggle though to fit two batteries but it is possible if you extend the top and place one on top of the other.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hello,

This is really useful.

If you have fitted a rack can you take some pictures to show the fitting arrangement? I have the mudguard version so it's a bit more complicated how they fit so they don't foul the mudguard supports.

Might it be worth asking Cube if they do a specific rack?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
If your talking about the main compartment and not the pannier sides then a battery will easily fit inside the Topeak
I went and checked. A Bosch battery does indeed fit. Its a Yamaha battery that's almost impossible to fit as its a couple of inches longer, but it does squeeze into the Evans one as that shape is wedged at one end so gives a bit more length for the battery handle to fit into.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Bike Rack 001.JPG Bike Rack 002.JPG

The mudguard (Beavertail XL) from Halfords is actually a front and back combined and is attached to the rack front and back with zip ties.it is not fastened at all down at the bottom of the seat tube but is very stable.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Ive just ordered from Amazon a Topeak Explorer 29er rack..

An adapter to fit my existing lights to the back of the rack..

And Topeak MTX DX bag, the one with side pockets but no panniers..

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hi,

The official cube rack arrived - fitted yesterday fine. It's a bit tight with the All Road original mudguards (they seem particulary wide) but with a bit of final work tinkering the fitting it should be okay. No rubbing at the moment (clearance at the top of the tyre is quite tight due to the knobbly tyres that come with the bike). Not been for a proper ride yet.

Rack is good quality and light (max weight is 25kg as it's alluminium). Ortlieb panniers fit securly and it has a bracked for a back light. Cost was £40 online.

Will try and post some photos.

Reactions: The Bear

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Fitted the Topeak Explorer 29er rack and the Topeak MTX DX trunk bag. Works perfectly and fitting was very easy.

Waited until the wife had gone out so I could bring the bike into the kitchen to fit them ;)

I dipped the thread of each bolt in ACF50 paste and filled the recessed heads with the paste as well, some Amazon reviewers mention the bolt heads rusting after a while. Left the bolts slightly loose until I knew everything was level, then tightened them up..

The MTX system allows the bags to slide along the grooves in the rack, and click into the frame to secure it..

I held off buying the Topeak rain cover as I have a Hi-Viz waterproof rucksack cover that I hoped would fit, and it does...

I went with the version of rack suitable for disc brakes, but now that its fitted I fully agree with what BazP said in post number 95.....

The non-disc versions fit bikes with disks ok but don't stick out as much. Can't really see the need for a disc version.
....I also don't see the need for the disc brake version as the standard version would still have fitted. Seems the disc brake version just makes the rack stick out a bit more at the sides, but I guess this will help protect the bike from knocks when falling over etc?

Hopefully picking up some full size mudguards from Halfords tomorrow, so I will probably have to remove the rack to fit them. Just waiting now for the adapter to arrive that bolts to the rear of the frame and allows quick release lights to be fitted...

Last edited:
Reactions: Luther

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
If the bag rattles a bit, as mine and my friends did, just tap the runners on the rack in one place with a plastic mallet to tighten.
Mine was ok on road but a bit rattly on rough tracks.

Reactions: The Bear

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Fitted an SKS Beavertail mudguard (Halfords £15) to the rear to stop spray getting onto the new rack. The supplied fixings weren't suitable for my bike so I drilled holes and cable tied it to the rack..

And fitted the adapter to the rack to fix my rear light to..

Reactions: Luther

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Cube pro stand is best and a very neat job. I bought the cube universal stand initially but it comes with extra bracing that looks a mess . I put the universal stand on the wife’s cube access and treated myself to the pro version it was only a couple of quid dearer from tredz cycles . Had to wait a couple of weeks they were waiting on stock from cube arriving .

Reactions: Parky and crizzy

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I was quite taken with the Top Peak rack and clip in bag combination but decided on a generic rack with Ortleib Panniers.

I have to say I am a real fan of the Ortleib panniers having now used them since 2011 as they are completely waterproof, have a flexible carrying capacity and clip on and off the bike so easily and work on any other bikes you have with racks with either no adjustment if you are lazy or minimal tool free adjustment. The weight is also carried lower down. If you do not need to carry much you can just use one.

They are also very hard wearing and long lasting and stand all sorts of abuse without issue.

Oh did I say I worked for Ortleib, no only kidding!

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Cube pro stand is best and a very neat job. I bought the cube universal stand initially but it comes with extra bracing that looks a mess . I put the universal stand on the wife’s cube access and treated myself to the pro version it was only a couple of quid dearer from tredz cycles . Had to wait a couple of weeks they were waiting on stock from cube arriving .
Ordered one yesterday - thanks Bob :D

Reactions: Plodder Bob

crizzy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2018
UK
Ordered one as well. Cheers :)

Luther

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2018
London
Fitted an SKS Beavertail mudguard (Halfords £15) to the rear to stop spray getting onto the new rack. The supplied fixings weren't suitable for my bike so I drilled holes and cable tied it to the rack..

And fitted the adapter to the rack to fix my rear light to..

I’ve ordered the same rack as you Bear (and have the same bike) but just wanted to find out how you’re finding those mudguards.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I’ve ordered the same rack as you Bear (and have the same bike) but just wanted to find out how you’re finding those mudguards.
Ive only fitted the rear mudguard so far. I ended up drilling some holes in it and used cable ties to attach it to the rack. I slid it in from the rear :p, held it in position then marked where I wanted to drill holes, removed it and drilled the holes. It works well.

Last edited: