Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

Albez

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2018
Just purchased this bike after reading up on it on this forum, the bike looks great so can't wait to get it but starting to worry I should of held out for the 2019 versions coming out end of summer. According to Evans Cycles this 2018 bike is now discontinued which is why I'm having second thoughts. How's everyone's thoughts on this bike after having it a while, still happy you purchased it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not much will change on the new ones bar paint and different bits for a higher price.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I’m still happy with mine and I commute on it nearly every day. This bike is great for my shortish commute by road, but also great for going off road on my days off work. Would I buy it again - Yes.

When I bought my 2018 model in October 2017 they had only just become available , but only in black. The red wast going to be available in my size until January. So on that basis the 2019 model might be 3 months away from hitting the shops.

But in the run up to then, the current 2018 model will be discounted to clear stocks. Maybe cancel your order and wait till the prices drop on the 2018 model. That’s if your prepared to wait and miss out on summer riding?

So either pay current price and get it now, or wait 3 months for the price to drop, or for the 2019 model to be available.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
We’re delighted with ours can’t fault them it’s unlikely the changes will be drastic they were quite heavily revised for 2018 so can’t see them changing much . They may reduce the price to clear old stock but is it worth missing the best summer we’ve had in a while ? It may be worth searching for Evans on eBay I bought the wife’s there and got it for £1674 instead of £2000 shop price . It was exdisplay but had only done 6km !

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
Hi were did you buy the dongle from please i have a cube acid 500 coming and was thinking of using a dongle

Bear, I went for the

badassBox 3.4 for Bosch

ITs fitted in 10 seconds, just mov the megnet on the wheel 10mm and slide the box over the existing spedo sensor. Done.

It really puts the bike into commutter mode, just eating up the miles, my average speed taken from strava with dongle on is about 28/29km/h and thats cruising, my commute is mostly flat witha large hill at the end so im considering changing the hub cog to a 20 as I find my leg speed (cadence) is too high at the 30km/h rate, id like to be pushing a little slower and more relaxed as its well capable of doing that speed at lower cadence. So thats the next amendment...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Just purchased this bike after reading up on it on this forum, the bike looks great so can't wait to get it but starting to worry I should of held out for the 2019 versions coming out end of summer. According to Evans Cycles this 2018 bike is now discontinued which is why I'm having second thoughts. How's everyone's thoughts on this bike after having it a while, still happy you purchased it?
The 2019 model may switch to powertube battery, trek powerfly have.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Hi were did you buy the dongle from please i have a cube acid 500 coming and was thinking of using a dongle
I bought mine direct from Badass in Germany via their website. No issues supplying to UK. Easy to fit, easily removable and has totally transformed my ride as the 15mph cut off was really annoying me.

Albez

Jun 13, 2018
Thanks guys for the feedback I'm gonna stick with getting 2018 cube as I'm too impatient to wait until October. Just hope they hurry up and deliver it. Cheers guys

Reactions: Plodder Bob

Albez

Jun 13, 2018
I bought mine direct from Badass in Germany via their website. No issues supplying to UK. Easy to fit, easily removable and has totally transformed my ride as the 15mph cut off was really annoying me.
Can they detect the dongle has been used when they service it? It voids the warranty?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Can they detect the dongle has been used when they service it? It voids the warranty?
Now that you have said on a public forum you want one, yes they can detect you put one on... :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Not detectable as far as anyone knows. Dealers have said different, but I have not heard of it actually happening.

Use your bike for a while first, before buying a dongle. You might manage without.

Reactions: Albez

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well how would they know who I am?
Evans Cycles have access to my registration details?
This is a smiley :)

Welcome to the internet :)

• :D
Reactions: Albez

Albez

Jun 13, 2018
Not detectable as far as anyone knows. Dealers have said different, but I have not heard of it actually happening.

Use your bike for a while first, before buying a dongle. You might manage without.
Yeah , good advice. I'm sure I won't need one but my inquisitive mind normally gets the better of me. Will give it a test ride the weekend.

Its totally detectable, and the dealers are correct. All they are waiting for is the level playing field, where no one brand is commercially punished for enforcing / self policing, the sensible and legal use of their products.