Purchased a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
considering not one motor cant be hacked with a dongle atm it wont take them long to get a new dongle to bypass there settings.

i just bought win 10 pro for £4 so there you go :D

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Ask the dongle brand, if their product will still work in 12 months and see what they say. I know what the motor brands are being forced to bring in, and it will mean the "simple" ways of remove the speed limit won't be possible.
But surely even if that was the case, existing motors will still work with the dongle, unless they receive firmware upgrades.

Albez

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2018
Finally got my nice new bike and it looks a lot bigger in real life. I only got the 17in frame but still looks a beast. The 29er wheels on it look they could plough a field so won't be getting any puncture anxiety. I did try dropping the seat down a bit but it seems it will only drop so far before the cabling inside the seat tube stops it from moving any further. Is that the norm for these ebikes? Must say though the bike is a looker and can't wait to get out and give it a test run, just need some pedals to go on it first though, me being the stupid newb thought pedals came with it lol

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Yes seat post can be cut down with a hacksaw I did it with the wife’s bike to allow seat to drop down further . I’ve had 3 punctures on the rear tyre in 1400 miles 2 thorns and a broken tip of a Stanley knife so punctures are still likely . Tyres are tricky to get off the rims heavy duty tyre levers are a must . Enjoy your bike when you get some pedals for it

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Finally got my nice new bike and it looks a lot bigger in real life. I only got the 17in frame but still looks a beast. The 29er wheels on it look they could plough a field so won't be getting any puncture anxiety. I did try dropping the seat down a bit but it seems it will only drop so far before the cabling inside the seat tube stops it from moving any further. Is that the norm for these ebikes? Must say though the bike is a looker and can't wait to get out and give it a test run, just need some pedals to go on it first though, me being the stupid newb thought pedals came with it lol
If you have to cut seatpost down I'd say frame is to big for you. Ask shop to check it out.

Albez

Jun 13, 2018
To anyone who has this bike would appreciate if anyone else could check if they have cabling running down their seat tube as I would like to know if this is normal or not. I have included a couple of pics which show the cabling and also of how low the seat will drop before it gets stuck.

Attachments

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
To anyone who has this bike would appreciate if anyone else could check if they have cabling running down their seat tube as I would like to know if this is normal or not.
I recently bought a Cube Reaction Hybrid and they asked me if I wanted a dropper seat post. I didn't even know what one of these was that's how out of touch I was lol. Anyway I said no, so they said fine we will remove the cable for the dropper post. So I am wondering if perhaps that is the cable we can see in your pic. I could be totally wrong about this though, so if I am I am sure someone will soon enlighten us both.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I recently bought a Cube Reaction Hybrid and they asked me if I wanted a dropper seat post. I didn't even know what one of these was that's how out of touch I was lol. Anyway I said no, so they said fine we will remove the cable for the dropper post. So I am wondering if perhaps that is the cable we can see in your pic. I could be totally wrong about this though, so if I am I am sure someone will soon enlighten us both.
You maybe on too something there
As I see no other reason for a cable in the seat tube that you would know nothing about.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Looks like electrical cable, someone tucked surplus length up into tube out of way. Maybe unused lighting cable. Ask shop to move to better location. If you want to do it your self, then remove left crank (need a crank puller) and engine cover.

There should be some youtube videos on this.

Albez

Jun 13, 2018
I will take the bike back to the shop and let them take a look at it, think its just a case of someone hiding cable in an inconvenient place like trevormonty suggested but I'm a newbie with bikes so will just take it back. I might ask to swap for a smaller frame size with 27er wheels whilst I'm there as I'm still not sure with the 29er wheels, to me they make the bike look a lot bigger than what I'm comfortable with being only 5ft 7 so will see if I can change it. Seems I'm not to lucky at guessing sizes as I ordered a helmet and it was to small for me lol.. ah well live and learn.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Cube's factory QA department might interested in photo of cable, doubt that is in the build instructions. Hopefully shop will pass it on to them.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I will take the bike back to the shop and let them take a look at it, think its just a case of someone hiding cable in an inconvenient place like trevormonty suggested but I'm a newbie with bikes so will just take it back.
Bosch bikes allow the installation of lights that run off the main battery. Some companies thoughtfully provide the wire that allows easy addition of these lights at a later date if needed.

Albez

Jun 13, 2018
Took the bike back to the shop today and got a refund, they didn't have no smaller frames available so they said would give a refund no problem. The guys at the shop didn't have a clue as to why there was a cable in the seat tube and were just as miffed as me, they said it shouldn't be there though. Now to start looking around again or maybe I will just wait to see what the new 2019 Cube bikes will offer, might have to up my budget, one thing's for sure, I will definitely be taking a test ride before purchasing this time.

RobbieBear

Aug 16, 2018
True, yes you just have to make sure your bike never goes near a shop.
I was in a bike shop yesterday and the dealer was discussing service requirements. About the Bosch, he said when they have the bikes in for servicing and firmware upgrades they can see all the information about how the bike has been ridden, how the battery has been charged etc. He also said that one customer had chipped (dealer words) his bike and Bosch knew when his bike went in for service.
However, he had a Focus ebike in the shop and he said that what you buy is what you get - no firmware upgrades or sophisticated diagnostic uses.
I guess the more intelligent these systems become the more risk folks take when modding

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike shop sell and fit dongles and honer the warranty so if thats a problem for you then buy from them.

no dealer has ever proven a dongle has been used on any bosch bike even a motor that was sent direct to bosch for a test could not say one way or another one had been used.

my 2014 bike has never had a firmware update and works fine with a dongle ;)

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Anyone know if my Cube Reaction Race 500 requires a service within its first two years to maintain its 2 yr warranty?

Wont have time to ring the bike shop and ask until the end of next week.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Anyone know if my Cube Reaction Race 500 requires a service within its first two years to maintain its 2 yr warranty?

Wont have time to ring the bike shop and ask until the end of next week.
service what ? motor wise no dealer can even remove the cover so anything else is same as a normal bike.