Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you'll find that the younger people are the more seriously they are taking the threat and are acting accordingly.
Far from it around here, we have a major problem with the young gathering in large groups now they are out of school.

Just some examples from a single day. A crowd of over 20 teens gathered together and mucking about in a favourite spot of theirs. Another large number in a local nature reserve wood working together to create a mountain bike track. Plenty of pairs of kids, mostly teens, on the streets walking very close together. Two neighbour brothers, teen and twenty, going out together with two other teens, obviously headed into town where they may well meet with others.

Last edited:

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Flecc said;
'In the storm a few weeks ago a can of emulsion from somewhere had somehow been caught by the wind and in flying through the air had left a trail of white splotches diagonally across my garage door, which is distant from my home. So taking advantage of the mild weather I went out this morning to chip it away and rub it clean with an abrasive pad and water.'

Flecc, I firmly believe that the reason this virus is so widespread is because it is airborne. I know there's no medical evidence to support this but I think it's quite logical. The reason for the 2mtr. distancing is because that's how far droplets can travel before they hit the ground. What if, using your paint story as an analogy, high winds can carry the droplets over far greater distances, would that not explain why the virus is showing up in far flung corners of the globe.
Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What if, using your paint story as an analogy, high winds can carry the droplets over far greater distances, would that not explain why the virus is showing up in far flung corners of the globe.
Labs build family trees from samples from various countries and prove that air travel is a much bigger spreader.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, I firmly believe that the reason this virus is so widespread is because it is airborne. I know there's no medical evidence to support this but I think it's quite logical. The reason for the 2mtr. distancing is because that's how far droplets can travel before they hit the ground. What if, using your paint story as an analogy, high winds can carry the droplets over far greater distances, would that not explain why the virus is showing up in far flung corners of the globe.
Just my humble opinion.
Certainly during the period that the virus has been present we've had a couple of periods of very strong winds, the one when that paint can incident occurred almost mini tornado in strength. Any active droplets could certainly travel quite far then, but usually I think only within a local area.

The global spread has been due to the sheer volume of international travel these days, especially to and from China, and most infection arrivals have been traced to that.

But there certainly could be the odd instance of very long distance travel. We regularly receive sand dust from the Sahara desert and there has been the odd rare incident of even small fish being received from far away after high altitude winds have carried them from distant tornados and typhoons scooping them up .

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Halfords have issued a statement. Most of their currently closed premises will be reopened by the end of the week since they are classified as essential businesses.

They will be operating a form of "drive though", ask for the item or service from 2 metres, be served and pay contactless only.

They are also doing some small things for the NHS staffs as this statement shows:
  • We are offering a free ten-point car health check (worth £15) for NHS frontline staff so that their vehicles remain in good working order
  • NHS and emergency workers can also receive a free Bronze Bike Service (worth £30); this covers gears, drivetrain and brakes
  • NHS & emergency workers will also get 10% off any replacement tyre in our garages or from our mobile home services

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
People of all ages need to be taking great care, not just the young.
I think we all agree with that (except maybe SW?). The more open question (where we don't seem to agree) is what the age distribution is of people who aren't taking care.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well round here everyone is out as normal canal path is rammed again its not even worth riding down it its that packed pmsl

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Myth busters: COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and ebiker99

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The more open question (where we don't seem to agree) is what the age distribution is of people who aren't taking care.
I can tell you. In all age groups there are some ignoring all the advice, but I think most in all age groups are abiding by it.

The problem is that when some from one group ignore it, they tend to stand out. This week here it is teenagers, but last week it was older people.

Eventually they'll probably all get the message, or the virus.

Reactions: POLLY and tommie

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Folk are being told not to go to holiday homes though not all getting the message

This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.

Charlie done a bunk to Balmoral Scotland
and Queenie to Windsor

Not so fortunate folk are getting turfed out

Reactions: POLLY and ebiker99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Myth busters: COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19.
Hot and humid climate does not stop transmission, it reduces it so has an impact.
as of yesterday:

Densely populated but hot and humid countries:

Vietnam134 cases, zero death

Singapore558 cases2 deaths

Thailand934 cases4 deaths

Malaysia1,796 cases19 deaths

Those countries have met the virus possibly at the same time as we do here.

UK8,227 cases427 deaths

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
More to do IMHO how hard and quickly they stamped on the outbreak, esp considering their proximity to China and preparedness to deal with epidemics from prior experience.

Vietnam’s coronavirus offensive wins praise for low-cost model >

Way ahead of us > On February 13, Vietnam became the first country after China to seal off a large residential area. It imposed a 21-day quarantine in a part of Vinh Phuc province, north of Hanoi, where more than 10,000 people live, after cases were traced back to workers returning from Wuhan.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ebiker99 and flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Timely preparation, aggressive testing, tracing of carriers and luck helped limit impact

Singapore reported its first two deaths from the pathogen only this weekend, despite being one of the first countries to be hit by the outbreak outside China two months ago. That has made it one of the safest places in the world for patients of the disease, which has already killed more than 13,000 people globally. The city’s success in dealing with the outbreak is attributed to the government’s speed in imposing border controls soon after the disease first erupted in China, meticulous tracing of known carriers, aggressive testing, a clear public communication strategy and a bit of luck.

But similar to some Asian neighbours, such as Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong, which have also managed to slow infection rates, Singapore’s example could contain lessons for the US and Europe, which have been caught wrongfooted by the virus.

As soon as information about the disease emerged from Wuhan, the city at the centre of China’s outbreak, Singapore began preparing by ramping up laboratory capacity for mass testing and developing its own test kits.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could put me in charge id stop it in a week, anyone seen out side will be shot dead :p

if you want to stop ppl round here going out you will have to throw them all in prison, not going to happen pmsl

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As soon as information about the disease emerged from Wuhan, the city at the centre of China’s outbreak, Singapore began preparing by ramping up laboratory capacity for mass testing and developing its own test kits.
And like so many in the Orient, they were all wearing face masks from the outset. Any face mask helps since it prevents moisture droplets from mouth and nose being sprayed out towards others and surfaces.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Malaysia - not so sure

Several Southeast Asian countries experienced a significant rise in cases following a Tabligh Akbar event from 27 February to 1 March at Jamek Mosque in Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur, where many people are believed to have been infected. The event had about 16,000 attendees, including about 1,500 from outside Malaysia. Malaysian authorities were criticised for allowing the event to go forward.

Attendees shared food, sat close together, and held hands at the event. According to guests, the leaders of the event didn't talk about COVID-19 precautions, but most attendees washed their hands during the event.

Of the 673 cases that had been confirmed in Malaysia by 17 March, almost two thirds were related to the event.

Funnily enough this morning chatted to a friend on the phone who works for NHS as a Biochemist in a test lab. (he's currently at home on holiday leave) A month or so ago he was in Malaysia vising family for a big birthday party with 50 folk there. He was aghast at the event with what was going on (viral elephant in the room ;-), but was too polite to say anything (British born and educated) but did notice he had a cough on his return back to UK. He phoned up work before his shift explaining where he'd been and what symptoms he had but they told him not to worry and come into work!

Reactions: Woosh