Quando 1 six five special

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I'm going to have to let go my Quando 1 six five special. I don't know the age of the bike, maybe Flecc will enlighten. It's one of the first, throttle only - no pedelec. I have replaced the 48T chainwheel with a stonking TA 65T - thus six five special - giving a respectable ratio of 72 gear inches. Ive also put on riser handlebars upside down (a la Flecc's Q bike) and changed the saddle to allow me to reach the pedals, which I have also changed to aluminium folders. The pedal cranks are 167.5mm TA, not 150mm so you have to watch out when cornering otherwise it can ground. I've also fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. And I've installed black Dahon mudguards which don't rattle like the originals.(they rattle differently!) Tools, you might as well have the TA crank removal tool. All in all I've probably spent about £300 on it.

The battery is NiMH, it's got "sprint spare" written on the base and its probably quite old. I'm squeezing 13 to 15 miles out of it.

It's turned what is in effect a moped into a really fun bike which tootles along at a steady 15 - 17mph regardless. It's going because I have spent the price of a battery on a new push bike.

I am willing to agree to the Flecc valuation system if anyone is interested.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is one of the earlier series since by calculation I deduce it has the 18 tooth freewheel, later models had a 14 tooth BMX freewheel. It will probably have a caliper front brake and a rear band brake acting on the left of the motor hub, later models had a front V brake and an underslung V brake on the rear.

If it's a band brake model, it's original production date will probably be between August 2004 and late 2005, and if that's the original NiMh battery, most likely the later date.

The original UK target price was £650 including VAT, changing to £745 after the modifications mentioned above were introduced for 2006. Difficult to guess at a price for this one, so much depends on condition, usage etc. The usual balance really, between what one would like to get and what it's worth to a buyer.

If you use my calculation system, the price will be between £102 and £115 if the battery is the original, depending on which year the bike is from. If the battery has been replaced within the last three years, the calculated value could be higher.

Here's the link to my valuation system post: Valuing second hand e-bikes

Last edited:

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Thanks Flecc. It has a rear underslung V brake - not the band brake, as you surmise the freewheel is 18T.

The valuation seems realistic, but then again - as in the best of old banger adverts - it's got a good set of tyres!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In that case it's a very late 2005 and cost £745 originally. In view of that and the fact the battery has some life left, I'd revise the calculation to the following:

Bike only after second hand deduction = £158

Plus 10% of original battery price = £20

Plus allowance for the expensive puncture proof tyres fitted = £15

Total = £193

You may feel you want to add something for the gearing modification since it is an improvement on the original specification.

Last edited: