Quando II in California

Harv

Finding my (electric) wheels
I received my eZee Quando II a few weeks ago and regrettably, broke the kickstand attach braze while setting up the bike. I confess I probably exerted too much weight while pushing the sticky seat post down but after reading of others with this problem I believe this to be a design fault and poor brazing quality. I don’t expect this to be warranted.

Because both of the braze points separated, the stand was held in place only by the attach bolt on the rear fender. Fortunately, I was able to remove the stand intact and will probably design and fabricate a mechanical means to reattach if needed. Meanwhile, my LBS can install a side kickstand which will suffice. But disregarding the stand, the bike seems well designed and appears tight and sturdy and is visually very attractive.

The original NiMh battery was returned due to damage (a broken case) and I received the new one yesterday. I took a short (1/4 mile) test ride around the block and was very pleased with the smoothness, quiet operation and torque of this little motor. The frame fits my 5’-8” or 10” (depending on my crooked back) very well.

I rode again in the early evening but it was short lived. After only 200/300 feet the LED light turned yellow and very quickly turned red and the motor stopped. I turned off the motor and pedaled and wheeled it into the garage and affixed the charger which failed to begin charging. I checked all the charger connections which appeared OK.

I disconnected the charger and reinserted the key and the blinking diagnostic light started flashing. I counted 5 flashes several times which indicates a faulty throttle.

Next Day
So now it’s the next morning and after I prepare breakfast, I will test the bike again hoping for a better result.

I ran diagnostics again and discovered my previous lapse in logic; the throttle was on when I ran diagnostics and obviously diagnostics “discovered” it so I now suppose the throttle is OK.

I then rode to the LBS less than one mile away and the motor started cutting out about half the way so I’m sure the battery needs charging. I continued on pedal power (quite a chore) and had a new kickstand fitted on the rear axel. The balance is perfect and the LBS folks really like the bike (except of course the kickstand).

I told Anders, the resident expert about Flecc’s installation of gears. He looked closely and said he might be able to fit five speed gears on the Quando which I may investigate. I will point him to Flecc's site if I do.

Back home now, I tried to charge the battery again with no luck. I investigated my garage pull-down-electrical-cord on-a-reel and discovered it was not supplying power. “Drats” sez I and wondered what more can go wrong but secretly felt good that so far everything has been overcome.

So I removed all flammable material on my workbench and the battery is charging there. The NiMh charger must have aninternal fan as it is making a little humming sound which is worrisome but I will keep an eye on it. (My SLA charger makes no noise).

To be continued after charging

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I received my eZee Quando II a few weeks ago and regrettably, broke the kickstand attach braze while setting up the bike. I confess I probably exerted too much weight while pushing the sticky seat post down but after reading of others with this problem I believe this to be a design fault and poor brazing quality. I don’t expect this to be warranted.
Damn that's a real pain for you on a new bike. I once had a problem with a brazed fitting failure years ago and I silver soldered it together again. I was delighted to find that the silver solder wetted the bronze perfectly. You may find the information useful.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, there is a fan in the charger Harv, but not very energetic so not easy to detect the draft from it. It's just there to stop heat collecting internally.

This stand problem which Bersh, also in the USA, suffered as well must be down to a particular batch I think, since I had quite a problem separating one of those joins when expanding the frame for my conversion, and couldn't imagine it failing easily.

I hope your dealer can modify it to fit gears for you, but stress to him that any available freewheel with the present chainwheel will leave you with a set of gears that's way too low for the bikes performance on motor. That's why i adopted the huge 60 tooth chainwheel and scrapped the original full chainguard. The gears are still on the low side even with that, and I have a 13 tooth high sprocket.

The available five speed freewheel is a 14 - 24 tooth sprocket and needs a thread adapter from BMX to standard freewheel. There's also the problem of spindle strength, and not making a reinforcing boss as I've described could lead to spindle failure over any bump, so the conversion isn't one to be tackled lightly.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
NiMh

The NiMh charger must have aninternal fan
Ah ah, problem solved, I pop of to America and get the nIMh battery for my Quando! That should last longer than a year, how long did yours last, and is still running well I presume Flec?

Its a pity I will be in Holland instead early next month (not pity I cant wait to go again, was there this December. Masstricht, loved it) but the states is looking like a great new destination!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, my NiMh is still ok Gaynor. Tends to be a bit less performance than a good li-ion, especially in the cold weather but slogs on regardless.

Hardly using it at the moment though, since I'm riding something else for a few months.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Yes, my NiMh is still ok Gaynor. Tends to be a bit less performance than a good li-ion, especially in the cold weather but slogs on regardless.

Hardly using it at the moment though, since I'm riding something else for a few months.
yeah - he's testing some hush hush job and won't even give us the smallest clue. See if you can catch him out. He's wise to all of us! :mad:

Harv

Finding my (electric) wheels
The Saga Continues

The battery is now charged (about 3 hours +/-) with no additional problems so I took it for a spin. By comparison to my kitted electric, full size bike, the Quando is relatively light (54 lbs), nimble and quick, with a low center of gravity (big issue for me), easy to steer and much smaller. I can even put my feet on the ground providing more confidence and feeling “in control”. These points are emphasized regarding my normal errands involving a combination of street and sidewalk riding with associated signposts, pedestrians and guy wires to avoid (do I sound like a shill for eZee?).

I mounted one of my panniers and cruised to the grocers. My first thought was how much safer to be seen due to the front and rear lights. The low slung panniers kept balance in check (even with a small watermelon) whereas the handlebar basket on the other bike requires more muscle as it adds to top heaviness.

Thus far I am adding some peddle assist and after 10 or 12 miles, my battery is constantly yellow and darts into green when I ease off throttle and into red as I increase same. I’m striving to stay in yellow but will run it to cutoff before my second charge unless otherwise advised.

I know it’s only been three days but I’m quite satisfied thus far.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad you're pleased with it Harv. Run the battery to cut-off a couple of times to condition it, then charge every chance you get from then on.