Query on an E-bike

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
I saw an e-bike today not seen one before sadly only got a quick glimpse I was driving by in my car.
The bike had a motor attached next to the rear wheel nuts on the near side with a small chain drive on the other side was the normal chain drive with gears, the bike had 2 batteries with one either side of the rear pannier. What sort is it, are they any good I wonder?. Mike.:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's almost certainly the Currie Electrodrive motor, one of the earliest e-motor add-ons for bikes, but also sold in complete bikes, the latter often being the Izip and e-zip e-bikes sometimes with one or two pannier batteries. Batteries can be SLA or lithium on various models.

Can be a bit noisy, the kit version bolts onto the wheel spokes which can be vulnerable to damage. Performs quite well, but frankly too far behind the times now, most of today's newer design e-bike motors being better in every respect.

This site shows some kit details, and below is a photo of one of the latest e-zips

Last edited:

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Thanks that does look like the system I spotted so one not to consider for the future when I look to move on from my starter bike, atb, Mike.

Reactions: Emo Rider