Question about Bosch Nyon

Nextlife1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Mac_user82;

One more question, about custom riding modes. The manual says one can create up to 4 custom modes. Does that mean one can just adjust the exact assistance level of the 4 preexisting modes, or that one can create an additional 4 custom modes (thus giving a total of 8 modes)?

Thanks!

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
When you have set up your Ebike account or got the app installed on your phone it would make more sense to you.

The custom rides setting work from 1=4 normally 1 is the less assistance setting and four is the highest this can arrange from anything from 5% of the motor working or up too 290% of the motor the choice is
Is yours to how you want it working.

For example at the moment this is how i have mine setting

Factory settings
1 eco 40%. 1 custom 75% setting
2 tour 100% 2 custom 90% setting
3 sport 150% 3custom 140% setting
4 Turbo 290% 4 custom 290% setting

Depending on your terrain on where you are riding some places you would need more asstiance some you would need less that personally perference only you can make this decision is right for you.

What i have stated is perfect for what i am riding at the moment sometimes this can change depending on terrain it about 1 minute to change the setting around.

All settings can be change on your phone or ebike connect account if you were going to do it from the app the you would need to make sure the phone is paired via Bluetooth to the nyon for this to work and also you would have to make sure you have a 3G or lte signal to send the data
Across to the nyon.

If i was riding on the flat all day then i would never use no more the custom 1 or even 2 I wouldn't bother with the other setting at all because i would be just using the battery for no reason and it pointless using more miles and battery for no reason you would be better on using a couple of setting down and getting more miles for yourself

If i was riding up some hills then i would be climbing up them in sport or even turbo setting of coarse you would never get up them in eco or tour because the motor would be under to much stress and all would happen is you would be just losing more battery which is the last thing you would want to be doing.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
It would be impossible to create 8 custom riding modes because the Bosch nyon only supports four custom riding modes it would be nice to have 8 custom riding modes riding made that might come in the future at some point fingers crossed it would come in very handy so that you wouldn't have to change the settings around so much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Just to clarify the custom mode function, it is possible to change the profile of the power delivery as shown below. There are 4 adjustable points on each custom mode, which can be moved in the power and speed axis to give the profile that suits your riding style / conditions.

The original 4 modes are always retained, the custom mode function is selected on the Nyon Ride screen, changing between the custom modes is then done in same way as going from Eco, Tour etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I also have the Nyon, bought as an upgrade. In it's defence, it suits my needs i.e. large screen that i can see without wearing glasses, lots of info, maps my rides etc etc. I had the Garmin 800 and then the 1000 before this, but with every bit of technology there are benefits and issues.
Even the Purion isn't ideal in terms of size or location on bike if your doing downhill / jumps, lets be honest here.
The kind of riding I do i.e. xc/ trail this display for me is an all in one solution and I have had no issues with it.

Nextlife1

Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Thanks very much for all the replies--very helpful! I have set up an Ebike account and have downloaded the app, but it doesn't seem possible to play with all this until a Nyon is paired (and I don't have one yet). So I think I worded my question incorrectly--even though there are only 4 custom modes the base modes are always retained. So one can have a total of 8 different modes at any one time--the 4 presets and 4 customs. Do I have it right now?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
More or less, but only 4 modes are active at one time. Either the default modes or the custom modes. It is not possible to go from say eco to custom 1 and then on to tour. You step through the 4 default modes or the 4 custom modes. Making the custom or default modes active only takes a few seconds, so not really a problem.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Just be very careful now you have created a ebike connect account because i did this before i installed my nyon and the account was shut down because it was not been using for example the device was not gaining any miles at all so it closed down.

I had to create a whole new account and pair it up again with a complete email address the old one that i was using before wouldn't work at all

I'm sure you will enjoy the Nyon it a very good device if you are commuting like me it comes handy not have to use a Garmin or a phone all the time and wondering how much power you have left in the device the great thing about the nyon it just runs off your bike battery and you don't have to worry about getting home

I just thought i would say don't hold your hopes up for the maps to be spot on because i have read places in some areas they are complete rubbish i have been lucky and in my area it has been very good for me

I have had it twice where i wasn't able to get some where which is not too bad compared i have done about 60 routes which have worked out fine with no problems at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nextlife1

Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
That's a bummer--didn't think about the account getting cancelled. That will almost certainly happen to me as I am 4-6 weeks away from having the bike and Nyon...