Question about speed restriction on Dillenger Kit

hobb90

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2019
Hello everyone! Been reading this forum past few days, v helpful.

I want to get this: http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/electric-bike-kits/best-sellers/street-legal-electric-bike-kit-samsung-power-13ah-by-dillenger.html

But it says "Max Speed 32km/h (20mph) restricted to 25km/h in display settings for AU and UK"

I am based in UK. Will I be able to de-restrict this so it assists me at speeds higher than 25km/h? I will occasionally use it on private land.

I've asked them but no reply. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you really want that kit, ring them up and tell them you want to order it, but not unless they confirm how to release the speed limit. It's probably a good idea to ask them some questions first, so that they can see you're a proper buyer and not someone trying to catch them out.

Try this number. 01733 666422

I have a couple of questions. why do you want to fit a front motor, when a rear motor is better?
Did you consider a Yose Power kit that's well-known by forum members, and we can give a lot of advice about it, including settings for max speed?

Just in case you don't know, those pedal sensors are handed, i.e. they only work on one side of the crank, which might be a problem for you. Unless you know what you're doing, you should ask a lot more questions before ordering and show us your bike.

Reactions: KirstinS

hobb90

Sep 18, 2019
I chose front motor because I don't need anything crazy and it seemed like the easiest, lightest option that will allow me to cycle even if it runs out of battery - am I wrong? Should I consider something else?

No I didn't, I'll look into the Yose kit. Where is a reputable place to buy from, please?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks vfr400

Would this have everything I need? https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Hub-Motor-36V350W-Black-Hub-Motor-with-Cassettle-for-Rear-Wheel-28"-&-HL1-36V13Ah-Battery-Conversion-Kit-DIY-E-bike-164.html

This is my bike btw:
RIDGEBACK Velocity Se Hybrid Bike 25" 2015

Cheers!
Joe
From.web searches I think you
Thanks vfr400

Would this have everything I need? https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Hub-Motor-36V350W-Black-Hub-Motor-with-Cassettle-for-Rear-Wheel-28"-&-HL1-36V13Ah-Battery-Conversion-Kit-DIY-E-bike-164.html

This is my bike btw:
RIDGEBACK Velocity Se Hybrid Bike 25" 2015

Cheers!
Joe
From online searches the bike you have has rim brakes, qr dropouts and cassette so you should be good but hopefully others can confirm

Be aware that batteries build from no name , generic cells tend not to last well. So worth anticipating a new battery within 24months

hobb90

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks - love that you're all so helpful here :). I'm completely new to this so the advice is really helpful and needed!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dillenger tend to be expensive and the Samsung 26F battery is so so with mediocre cells.
The Yose offering is good though the battery suggests it uses cheap China unbranded cells, you might be better looking at 48v Woosh kits which have better celled batteries utilising the Samsung 29E or Panasonic PF.

hobb90

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks Nealh! Is it possible to increase the speed limit from 15mph on the woosh kits?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rear hub kits are usually always in stock without a battery so buy the kit and buy a battery separately.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Nealh! Is it possible to increase the speed limit from 15mph on the woosh kits?
Yes, but they don't like you doing it because it invalidates the warranty which they provide and it is excellent should you have any issues.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A rear motor is quieter, has better traction, doesn't affect the bike's handling and doesn't normally require the drop-outs to be filed to allow the axle to fit. Also, the motor cable doesn't need to cross the steering axis. Cables don't like constant bending back and forth.

You have a 7-speed bike, which is very handy. It means that you can use a free-wheel motor, which is more plentiful, like this one.

You'll need to buy a freewheel to go with it. Click 7s 11-28

The only other thing you need are some cable ties. Some of us use a torque arm on the axle for extra security, but you don't really need one with a 36v system as long as you keep the axle nuts tight. You need one that's for a 12mm axle, not 14mm.
You might need to install an extra rivnut in your frame for the battery fixings because they're high up in the battery mount and the top one is normally too high for what's in your bike already. they're easy to fit and don't cost much.

If you buy the type of battery in the Dillenger kit (called Dolphin battery), the fixings will line up.

Last edited:
  • Informative

hobb90

Sep 18, 2019
I think I am going to go for this one from woosh: SWX02 48V 250W rear hub kit

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's standard Chinese stuff. the good point is that it has a KT controller, which is a nice control system. bad points are that those batteries aren't normally waterproof. Water can get in where those little windows are because they're normally loose in the black part. Second thing is the free-wheel. It looks like six-speed with 14T top gear. You need 11T top gear, so you can chuck that one and buy a 7-speed DNP one for about £20, but if your bike has 9-speed or more, you'll need to change your rear shifter too.

Flumpet

Oct 3, 2019
Hi
I have the Dillenger convertion kit - front wheel, road legal one (which i think is the one being discussed here, as they do do a lot more powerful ones, that are advertised as off-road only - ie not road legal). All i can say it it's great! I've done over 50 miles and the battery didn't run out (closer to 60, but then it just kept cutting out!). I've also done over 500 miles in 3 months since i converted my bike, and cycle to work most days - 28 mile round trip).

In terms of changing the settings, there is a way of getting into the system (search their webside for the instructions), which i did (now limited to 20 mph), however, they do say that it will then be working outside the parameters recommended for the actual motor.

Personally, i don't see very much benefit in the motor working at that speed as, when i'm going that speed, it's usually easier to turn off and peddle (I'm usually going down hill at that speed anyway!)

ps, ended up cycling through some very deep flood water (came up to my mid thigh :cool:) whilst cycling into work yesterday - R Trent was flooded and that's the way the cycle path went. Was really worried about the motor and all the electrics, but not an issue!