Question re adjusting roller brakes and what kind of tyre valve is this please?

Steveb63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2008
Baildon (BD17)
Hi All,

Can anyone give me some advise re adjusting roller brakes - ie what exactly should I be doing?

I took my new gazelle easyglider back to the dealer for its 1st check up and they give it back to me with the front brake "tightened up" - but when i rode it for the first time after i got it back there was a new clattering noise - which I have tracked down to a "lever type thing" down at the bottom of the business end of the brake. (using blue tack!) (see file 1) - when the brake isn't applied it is now loose and clatters when the bike goes over rough ground.

I may take it back but its a 70 mile round trip - and i guess i ought to make an effort to learn how to do it myself - i have consulted the handbook but it just says "adjust the brake" for instructions!

There's also an "adjuster looking thing" half way up the front fork - see file 2

and a black "twirly knob" on the handlebar brake lever - see file 3

Finally can anyone tell me the "proper name" for the kind of tyre valve my bike has? (see file 4) and does anyone know if adapters area available to be able to use normal car inflaters?

Any help (transalations!) would be very much appreciated

Steve.

Attachments

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
Last edited:

Falstaff

May 20, 2008
Question #4... Wood's Valve

Think it is also called a 'Dutch' valve...

There is an american (but its based in New England) website that has a wonderful bicycle glossary. Might want to check the Wood's valve issue..

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary W

painter

Jan 5, 2007
both the silver cooling disks on my roller brakes rattle try a bit of thick string on the spoke side to wedge it if the rattle bothers you Painter

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
Roller brakes?

I'mm sorry, but are they roller brakes? Look like disk brakes to me! Roller brakes are / were the old rod operated things on grandads ride to work Hercules! Am I out of touch?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'mm sorry, but are they roller brakes? Look like disk brakes to me! Roller brakes are / were the old rod operated things on grandads ride to work Hercules! Am I out of touch?
It just looks that way Andy, the disc is the cooling disc to carry the heat away.

As someone else remarked, the do tend to rattle as they have to be a bit loose, as they are part of the roller section of the brake, the drum that operates in being part of the hub.

The nut outside the disc which holds the brake in place can be tightened to reduce the tolerance, but that can still leave some rattle.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Think it is also called a 'Dutch' valve...

There is an american (but its based in New England) website that has a wonderful bicycle glossary. Might want to check the Wood's valve issue..

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary W
The Americans often seem to call them English valves! The Schraders being American and Prestas known as French valves.

I remember having Woods-Dunlops on my bikes as a child, and hating them. Not seen one for a long time, thankfully!

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Hi All,

Can anyone give me some advise re adjusting roller brakes - ie what exactly should I be doing?

I took my new gazelle easyglider back to the dealer for its 1st check up and they give it back to me with the front brake "tightened up" - but when i rode it for the first time after i got it back there was a new clattering noise - which I have tracked down to a "lever type thing" down at the bottom of the business end of the brake. (using blue tack!) (see file 1) - when the brake isn't applied it is now loose and clatters when the bike goes over rough ground.

I may take it back but its a 70 mile round trip - and i guess i ought to make an effort to learn how to do it myself - i have consulted the handbook but it just says "adjust the brake" for instructions!

There's also an "adjuster looking thing" half way up the front fork - see file 2

and a black "twirly knob" on the handlebar brake lever - see file 3

Finally can anyone tell me the "proper name" for the kind of tyre valve my bike has? (see file 4) and does anyone know if adapters area available to be able to use normal car inflaters?

Any help (transalations!) would be very much appreciated

Steve.
This adaptor for 49p will let you use presta pumps. I keep one on each wheel.