Quick and simple MTB/Hybrid set up

Andrew08

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
H All,
Since 2017 I had an Oxygen S Cross MTB. I had it derestricted, and It was really great. Unfortunately, it got stolen last week. The battery wasn't in the bike, so I still have that. I don't really have the budget to pick up a decent new ebike, so I was looking at just doing a simple conversion. Would it be possible to just get a fairly decent MTB for a few hundred quid and then get a conversion kit and attach the battery I have?

Something like this: link

And then get a bracket for the battery I have? Is it that simple?

Any advice would be appreciated.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it depends if that batt has a smart bms or not to talk to the motor controller if not then yes to a point.

that batt will only pump out as much as the bms will allow so a 3000w kit whould be way over the amp limits for a batt that small= kaboom

Andrew08

Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
Thanks. How would I know if it's a smart bms? It looks like it's basically a reention dorado battery (36V). I wouldn't be getting the huge power kit, just a 350W one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the batt has just + _ and can get a voltage reading from a multimeter then it will work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it was a smart bms there would be a 3rd coms connector on the port so it has a standard bms

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oxygen batteries are generic they are nothing special and only utilise two wires.

Andrew08

Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
So should be fairly simple then?

Anyone have good recommendations for a kit I could use with this? 36V, something around 250W-500W. Front wheel for simplicity.

Thanks for the help!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
H All,
Since 2017 I had an Oxygen S Cross MTB. I had it derestricted, and It was really great. Unfortunately, it got stolen last week. The battery wasn't in the bike, so I still have that. I don't really have the budget to pick up a decent new ebike, so I was looking at just doing a simple conversion. Would it be possible to just get a fairly decent MTB for a few hundred quid and then get a conversion kit and attach the battery I have?

Something like this: link

And then get a bracket for the battery I have? Is it that simple?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Your battery isn't designed to deliver high current. It's fine at 15 amps, but you can't go much higher. Those big direct drive motors need high current to work. Even when they get it, they're not very efficient and not suitable for stop-start riding, plus they're very heavy and make your bike unpleasant to riide without power. In other words, avoid them if you can. Stick to a normal geared hub motor.

There are some kits on Ebay that are OK. The best have KT controllers if you know how to recognise the LCDs.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i think it has a 15a controller. uk seller and warranty and batts if you need one.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fairly new here with limited experience of 1 kit build and 1 refurbish underway. However i can recommend the yose power range of kts having fitted a rear wheel 250w kit. they sell a 350w kit too which can afaik be de-restricted fairly easily. but the quality of the kit the tools supplied and the response times of email support queries, all contribute to a positive purchase experience. other folk have had good things to say about them in here too.
my quick google seems to indicate the yose power 350w motor is only available in rear wheel kits?
the 250w kits are NOT easy to de-retrict and require controller/headset replacement. different brands of controller.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the 250w one is only 20-30nm the bafang is double the price but a much better motor and you could up the power in the future with a 20-30a capable batt.

also every part can be bought and easy to service.

Andrew08

Sep 21, 2017
Leeds
As long as I can get similar torque to what I got with the Oxygen MTB, then I'm fine with that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
load of vids on you tube you just need a frame with the right size bottom bracket and it just slides in.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Something like this? link
buy some washers you will need the for the brake levers, the clamping screw uses a blind hole and bottoms out before it clamps the bars, washers help 'shorten' the screw. and be mindful to replace the plastic adjustment h/w with the ones from your old levers too.

Reactions: Andrew08