Quiery about the effects of....

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
riding in the rain and or cold on an electric bike and or towing a wee trailer.

Is the only concern the watertightness of the wiring etc with regards to an ebike in the rain?

And as for towing a trailer could those who have experience give me their personal thoughts about it, safety on road with a trailer, how big an effect it has on the motor, difficulties with manouvering and have you found you got used to the extra width and added length without trouble etc.

Fairweather Cycles - Tom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2010
www.fairweathercycles.co.uk
We sell the Chariot and Croozer trailer ranges and find you get used to towing them within a few minutes. To start with you have to remember that you're about a foot wider each side, so you steer clear of obstacles a bit. After a while it becomes second nature, like how you can drive from the right hand side of a car without driving up the pavement and into lamp posts all the time :).

I've heard of some cheaper brands where if you turn a little too tightly the rear wheel can foul the hitch arm and stop you in the middle of a junction! Steer clear of those (pun intended :)) - you don't want to scrimp when your babies are at stake..

As far as general safety goes they have good, strong aluminium frames and bumpers, together with purpose built supporters for babies of different ages, so I would imagine they are safer than say child seats. They also come with flags and reflectors and you can of course light them up with lights.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Trailers are not a problem at all, you get used to them almost immediately. A couple of examples of what I tow at times, so you won't find a moderate one difficult:

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Thanks Tom and Tony my word I'm impressed hun, holy moly I don't think my horse trailer was as long as that second pic trailer combo! love the fact anything is almost possible.:D

I'm seriously enjoying this ebike riding soo much, I would like to do a lot more cycling. I'm considering splurging on this wee trailer for my disabled 3.6kg wee doggie as she isn't keen on cold wind or rain....yes she is spoilt rotten and if we go to far for our other wee doggie to keep jogging he could get in as well.

Doggy Ride bicycle trailer for dogs

Was just worried one might forget it was there and wipe it out or if you've found car drivers get to close to the trailer.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Was just worried one might forget it was there and wipe it out or if you've found car drivers get to close to the trailer.
I don't know about your area but similar trailers are used for conveying other species including small children, and drivers tend to be sensible enough to give them adequate room.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
I don't know about your area but similar trailers are used for conveying other species including small children, and drivers tend to be sensible enough to give them adequate room.
We are a bit hit and miss with drivers around here, some considerate others not and we do a lot of single lane riding but car's have to pass each other on these lanes so I guess I'm just worrying way to much, thanks for that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll confirm that drivers give bikes with trailers a wider berth than usual, probably because they notice them more.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Flecc that's good to know I think I might be able to swing it past my hubby with all this encouraging info.

Now folks onto what might have been a daft question about rain? if it's a really dumb one just say so I don't offend, well not easily.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most e-bike are quite good in the rain now, makers having learnt a few lessons from past mistakes. Remind me what bike you have Morag?

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Most e-bike are quite good in the rain now, makers having learnt a few lessons from past mistakes. Remind me what bike you have Morag?
A darling wee cyclamatic folder :D I was just wondering if there are any target area's for potential seepage I should address.

oldlegs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2009
Trailers are not a problem at all, you get used to them almost immediately. A couple of examples of what I tow at times, so you won't find a moderate one difficult:

Flecc, .What make of trailer is the leading one. It looks the ideal trailer to carry my fishing tackle in and the ideal trailer to go down to the recycling centre with .

I have a smaller trailer as per the rear one in your photo but really need a bigger one.

Best wishes,-----John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, .What make of trailer is the leading one. It looks the ideal trailer to carry my fishing tackle in and the ideal trailer to go down to the recycling centre with .
It's home made John, after I despaired of getting one big enough for my purposes. I used a base from a cheap but strong trailer bought from discounters CycleKing for £69, took off the superstructure to leave just the base surround steel tubing and drop out wheels. Then I built on the body using the materials from stripped down discounted alloy step ladders, these being extremely light but strong.

You'll see that the separator plates are the tread areas of step ladders and I've incorporated all the curved bits from the originals, extending where necessary. Construction is by pop rivetting. The internal mudguards are a plastic dustbin lid cut in half and mitred to re-profile to the wheel curvature. The floor area enlargement was made with thin ply, the original small floor seen in the middle. The rubber ladder feet are on the four corners of the tailboard so that it stands on its heel even when loaded to drop out the quick release wheels for any puncture repair or quick tube swap. My article on this trailer was featured in A to B Magazine, issue 40.

The photo below shows the trailer carrying on the bolster bar one of the 7 tread ladders used, two of those at £15 each special offer and one old 2 tread:

Last edited: