Raining

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Took the Wisper out in rain for the first time. Bike was fine, no problems, even though it was driving, heavy rain.

Not so a) the mirror, which almost instantly became covered with water and impossible to see out of. Any old remedies for keeping a mirror free(-ish) of rain drops?

Not so b) me. I was trying out a cape rather than Altura jacket, and I found it very flappy. It was probably originally a walking cape (Danish), as they used to use them a lot out there in the 80s; maybe still do.

Would a 'proper' cycling cape be better? Due to leg problems I don't want the bother of overtrousers; I've got some 'Rainlegs', recommended on here, but they are a bit cumbersome, with clips and velcro, so I'd rather use an old-fashioned cape, as long as it doesn't flap about and make my mirror-view even worse, or be too long and interfere with pedals, etc.

Any ideas welcomed.

Allen.

rogerl

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Liverpool, L23
Rain-X might work on the mirror? I don't have mirrors on my bike and therefore haven't tried it there, but it works well on cars and the bathroom mirror!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
An old remedy I read about in the context of goggles for motorcyclists was to cut a potato and rub it over the glass.

Genesis750

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2010
mirror problem - solved. Buy a few sheets of tin, some alloy and a few bits rubber. make a large box from the tin. fashion the rubber into four roundish lumps - place one in each corner of the tin box, bash the alloy into "V" shape and drop into front of box. Finish off with paint of your choosing and some (maybe slightly tinted) glass. place your mirror inside this box and then climb in yourself. if you have built a big enough box the whole ebike should fit inside. You can also fit a heater. I gave mine a name - I call it CAR.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
With the mirror you could use a waxy glass cleaner so the rain would form beads and run off. Usually motorbike visor cleaner would work.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the ideas (except of course for Genesis - maybe he was looking for the Top Gear site and got lost).

Allen.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I feel sorry for you guys who have to cycle in the rain to work..I work from home so I'm lucky in that regard. It's not nice cycling in pouring rain.

The weather has not been so great for cycling lately has it, it's got decidedly colder after a brief warm period. Looks like more of the same this week until the end of the week when it should begin to warm up.. I'm looking forward to getting out on the bike a bit but I will make sure I wear my fleece top, scarf and gloves this time!

Regarding the question about keeping rain off the mirror... I did read somewhere recently a little tip for this.. Someone recommended either smearing vegetable oil or candle wax over the surface of the mirror which is supposed to keep it free of rain.. It was probably oil, as candle wax could be messy and impair vision..I can't remember now though..could try both!

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
mirror problem - solved. Buy a few sheets of tin, some alloy and a few bits rubber. make a large box from the tin. fashion the rubber into four roundish lumps - place one in each corner of the tin box, bash the alloy into "V" shape and drop into front of box. Finish off with paint of your choosing and some (maybe slightly tinted) glass. place your mirror inside this box and then climb in yourself. if you have built a big enough box the whole ebike should fit inside. You can also fit a heater. I gave mine a name - I call it CAR.
Erm, er, how do you keep the car's mirrors dry ...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the mirror on the inside doesn't get wet if the sunroof is kept closed, plus there's a rear wiper to keep the rear view clear for that.

When I started driving most cars only had the one inside mirror anyway. :eek: