Raising the Handlebars

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

Noob question I know. As a teenager and a young man, there didnt seem to be anything I couldnt do with a bike. I remember as a 12 yr old a friend and I used to respray the frames at a local garage we hung about near, stripping everything down, cranks brackets all cables, everything.

Now ... I am just so trepadacious ... scared of breaking things!

On my Twist, I just couldnt raise the bars. Its in being serviced right now, and I asked the man at the LBS to raise them. Basically it took me holding the bike still and him levering against the front wheel with all his might to move them.

They hadnt been greased, and had slight fused/rusted inside the frame.

---

I am trying the same with the Pro Connect, removing the pin in the head completely and can see all the way down to the wheel, but on my own, I just cant seem to budge them (and I'm scared I'll buckle my 24 spoke front wheel, and I dont want that! :eek: )

Do I just try more force, ior is there an other nut somewhere that I need to undo?

Cheers

John

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
John,

So many details have changed since I was a kid, I'm having to relearn things. What type of stem have you got? With the old type the thing to do is not to remove the rod completely but to undo it a few turns and then tap it in to release the wedge. The new fangled A heads are different - I think you need a microprocessor development kit to adjust those.

Nick

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Please excuse my ignorance, but whats an A Head?

Its like this if its helps :(

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
That looks like an A-head, I think that's what they're called. When its all assembled and clamped up, the bolt in the middle doesn't do anything any more. Its there for taking up the slack in the headset bearings.

To raise the bars you need to adjust the angle of the stem - the bit between the clamp around the steering tube and the bars themselves. There may also be things you can do with spacers on the steering tube on some designs.

Nick

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Ahhh, thanks guys (I'm not going mad)

John

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
John, I'm fairly sure that you can't raise the Pro Connect bars as you describe. They sort of rotate about the horizontal bolt which goes through the disc with degrees marked on it. The 50C website forum has a video showing you how to adjust them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's probably like the one on the Torq 1 John. If so, it's the unnumbered bolt with the scale against it that allows the bars to be raised and lowered through an arc.

The 1 & 2 bolts are for the headstock bearings adjustment, described here.