Ramblings on the many bikes i have tested recently.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Kalkhoff Agattu Premium C11 Impulse (2012 model on 2013 software)

This was the first bike i tested, and the first crank drive bike i've ridden. First thoughts on riding it were that it was very comfortable. The assistance is very smooth and fairly quiet. It seems the indexing on the hub gear was out on the bike i tested and i had some issues getting it to find a gear at times, but i put this down to the setup of this particular bike. I liked the control screen, it's nicely presented and has a lot of information available at a glance. I think the 15ah battery would probably be plenty big enough for me, as i found the bike was so free running that i'm fairly sure i'd be able to spend a lot of time with it switched off if i needed huge range. Magura hydraulic rim brakes felt great to use, however i'd prefer discs as they are unaffected by grime on the rims or the wheel going out of true. The bike climbed well, however the hill used to test, while the biggest near Loughborough, was fairly small compared to my local hills. As mentioned on this forum, the Riding Profile can be changed to gain more climbing performance from the Impulse powered bikes. Overall this is a very nice bike, however being a clearance model it may not be available to me once i have sold the four bikes (one Wisper, 3 unpowered) i am getting rid of to fund a new one.

Agattu i8 HS

Most of what is said above for the C11 goes for the i8 too. It is the same price, but has two disadvantages of a Nexus 8 hub gear which has a more limited gear range, this seems mostly to lose the bike top end gearing. It's not a huge issue, as i already own a Nexus 8 equipped folding bike and i do like the system. The second disadvantage is the lack of an LCD control unit with built in speedometer. I thought the lack of this on a £2000 bike was very poor, as these now appear on many bikes half that price. The one advantage is the huge 17ah battery, claimed ranges are vast, and even halving those to be more realistic it's still more than i can envisage myself ever using. I was surprised how quiet the motor was on this bike, much quieter than the C11. A nice bike, and that range is hard to ignore.

Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh

The illegal bike. The legality doesn't concern me. After the previous two bikes, climbing aboard the BS10 felt like i was getting on a normal fast hybrid. Positioning is less upright, the wheelbase is shorter and the whole bike feels much lighter. The Bosch battery location is very good, it's out of the way and doesn't require a long wheelbase frame. On the flat, with the power off, this feels like a normal hybrid bike, perhaps a little slower to accelerate because of the weight, but other than that you could never tell it was an ebike. Turning the power on, the Eco mode feels much the same as on the Impulse bikes, Tour then feels like the highest assist on the Impulse bikes, cruising with little effort around 15-16mph. Then switching up a level to sport you find yourself speeding up to around 24mph with little effort! Turbo seemed to only slightly increase that speed, but felt like it had a lot more torque. The hills around Loughborough were no real test for this bike. I came back with a huge smile on my face, this is an awesome machine. However, my sensible head also says it's £2800 with only an 11ah battery.

Tonaro Compy

I wanted to test ride a Tonaro as there are so many fans of them on here. I headed up to the Electric Cycle Centre in Penrith. Pete there was very helpful and sent me on my way with the Tonaro. First impressions, as a bike this thing is TERRIBLE, perhaps the worst actual bike i have ridden. However i persevered and took it up the huge hill out of Penrith, this hill is quite steep and very long, i qould guesstimate between 15-17% and around 1.2-1.5km long. The Compy was hard work and had me labouring up at 5mph, power seemed to gradually drop off throughout the climb. The motor was also very noisy and the cut-off at 15mph was like a switch, very harsh. I cant deny, i hated this bike and couldn't wait to give it back, i'd rather have a Cyclamatic again.

Kudos Arriba

As a hub motored bike this was not really what i was looking for, however Pete encouraged me to take it for a spin as he'd has some great feedback about it. The bike felt like a well sorted mountain bike, there was no perceptible drag from the hub motor and the geometry felt quite normal. Assistance was good on the flat, similar to my Wisper. Taking this bike up the big hill i found it to be an excellent climber, going up there at 8-10kph, noticeably faster than the Tonaro with considerably less effort. Only when i got back did i find out the actual proce of this bike, and i was very surprised! This is a SUPERB bike for a bargain price! If i didn't have hills of around 20-25% to climb regularly i would've bought this bike there and then.

BH Emotion Xenion 700

This is a Bosch 250w bike, in a fast hybrid style. The bike i took out was too small for me, so allowing for that i will just comment on the Bosch power. This bike climbed the same hill on maximum assist at 17kph! The bike felt very light which must have aided it. However, i think the bike is just a little too road focussed for me, the skinny tyres and lack of lights, full mudguards, rack, chainguard etc mean i'd have quite a lot to change, perhaps another £300 to get it the way i wanted it.

KTM Macina Cross

This was the final bike i took out, and the quality of the bike looked superb. It was the ladies frame and a little too small for me, but closer than the Xenion. This bike also had the 2013 Bosch system rather than the maddeningly confusing 2012 the Xenion had. However Pete had told me if i bought a Xenion it would come with the 2013 system. The 2013 Bosch systems felt more powerful than the 2012 too, something Pete said he had found too, this despite the Macina having a Nexus 8 which is meant to be lower powered assistance than the derailleur equipped Xenion. As a bike, this felt the nicest of the day to ride, and it was the best climber. It still needs mudguards, rack etc, however the price of this bike is quite reasonable.

Final thoughts

I still have not made up my mind. The Bosch bikes and the Impulse bikes are very good, but choosing between them is difficult. My head is telling me to get one of the Agattu's but my heart is screaming the exciting Endeavour! Somewhere inbetween sits the KTM, at a good price and yet somewhat more aesthetically pleasing than than Agattus.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Interesting comments streethawk.

Regarding your test on the Tonaro Compy, all I can say is .....it seems no two Tonaros are the same, as are no two riders.
I did test a compy 2 years ago up a pretty steep hill in Tiverton going up to the canal and it shot up.

One tip is to remove the sensor so you dont cut out at 15mph.
My Tonaro Esprit has got me up some severe long hills especially in Portugal, without any hassle.

I will say though, that at Redbridge, I was really impressed when I tried an Ezee bike around the test track, hub motor or not ....it ate the hills with ease......in fact ....it was Ezee lol.......try one when you get the chance, I think you wont fail to be impressed.

Lynda :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I know where you are coming from, had the same problems in my search. Expecting something to appear to just the one. Went a bit overboard with the Grace MX, ordered the larger frame than the one I tested. I love this bike, the ride, quality and the NuVinci drive. Glad I waited, hope something ticks your box soon.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
great review, you might want to change the Macina typo of a nexus 7 to 8 :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Very interesting.

If the C11 is still available and you can reconfig the assist to give you the extra speed then go for it. The VFM is bonkers and it's a much better equipped bike than the i8 - the extra gears make a huge difference if you ride it on enhanced assistance with 9-11 in use the most except on very steep hills. You won't regret it and will get as close to Endeavour crank drive performance as you can for 2 grand. Certainly the acceleration to top speed of around 24mph assisted on the flat is very easy and you likely have more range even riding it flat out and up steep hills. It's a big bike even in a medium, so guess the Large that's left is likely very good for taller riders.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the report on your experiences Streethawk, this sort of feedback is very helpful to potential buyers.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Streethawk,an amazing review of a large number of bikes...can I suggest that if hillclimbing grunt is what you are looking for....the KTM e-race with Panasonic hub drive....everyone who rode this bike at the Redbridge event really liked it,it is available in 26" or 650 wheel size,the latter is £300 more,the former seems best value....I personally find the KTM house colours of orange and black very exciting.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Streethawk...you could try Fusionelectricbikes of Bristol or E-motion,I think they are Swindon or the new LondonElectricBikeCompany of HamptonWick,West london...they had a 26" version there at the weekend,best to contact by mobile (07841 412199),they are working on their web at present.
Hope that helps
Dave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Streethawk...KTM bikes are distributed by FLI distribution,Huddersfield Road,Delph,OL3 5DF...suggest you view their web and seek the nearest dealer....the bike is very worth trying,it has swung the hub v crank drive argument back in the favour of hub drive,very impressive bike.
KudosDave

Footloose

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2012
the KTM e-race with Panasonic hub drive....everyone who rode this bike at the Redbridge event really liked it,it is available in 26" or 650 wheel size,the latter is £300 more,the former seems best value....I personally find the KTM house colours of orange and black very exciting.
KudosDave
I agree! I rode mine 28 miles in the Purbeck Hills at the weekend. There is a steep climb out of Corfe Castle on to the ridge towards Swanage. I have done this before on my Neo Xtrem which coped well. The KTM eRace P shot up the hill at 11mph. Limited by my bad riding skill and the rough terain rather than the power of the machine. Very impressive. Riding down the other side of the hill, the regen braking worked well and I felt safe despite the very rough trak.
The whole ride used 56% of the battery capacity. The bike is very eye catching. Several people were asking me about it particularly those riders who I had passed going up hills earlier in the day.

Morrison

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2013
Your lucky to test so many bikes because for me, looking for a suitable ebike is seriously hard. When you start digging in the german forum things become even more unclear. Theres so many options, one moment I'm thinking grace mx then haibike then focus jarifa off road then ktm erace p then bh neo extreme then ave sh8. Then I think maybe I should get something like a xipi.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
frank - got any pics of the conversion? i love the carve - its a great bike

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I know that feeling Sreethawk, it's like waking up in the morning and thinking whilst eating your breakfast which sports car to pull out of the garage. A nice feeling.

MS.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I know that feeling Sreethawk, it's like waking up in the morning and thinking whilst eating your breakfast which sports car to pull out of the garage. A nice feeling.

MS.
An interesting insight into your lifestyle MS ....... :cool:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
An interesting insight into your lifestyle MS ....... :cool:

Lynda you make me LAUGH!!! You think so highly of me, try not to make anymore mistakes today it's not in your makeup and i'm not referring to the makeup that beautifies your face, and that you are clearly wasting your money on , hasn't your bf told you also this fact from time to time?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Lynda you make me LAUGH!!! You think so highly of me, try not to make anymore mistakes today it's not in your makeup and i'm not referring to the makeup that beautifies your face, and that you are clearly wasting your money on , hasn't your bf told you also this fact from time to time?
Well, my dear MS....all my Bf's tell me that constantly...Im very lucky ;)

As for make up......mascara only whilst I have a tan....so...are you saying that you dont have a garage full of sports cars ?.....never mind, it doesnt alter my feelings for you :cool:

BTW....you constantly make me smile too......:)