Real Bicycle Bells

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
HOW MUCH!!! £225 for a bell, trouble is some people will pay it and that just pushes the prices up. Never seen those Meteor ones before, very Flash Gordon. BTW, how much is 5 bob?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've spent quite a time today looking at new old-style bells. I want old-style for the sound. It seems a lot of slightly better quality ones now have ding-dong rather than a proper ring; I'd never come across those before. I don't like them as much and don't think they would be as effective.

The Halford's traditional chrome bell looks promising:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/mirrors-bells-and-horns/halfords-traditional-chrome-bell.
I'll probably try to have a look pretty soon.

A range that looked promising was Electra:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=electra+ringer+bicycle+bell&rh=i:aps,k:electra+ringer+bicycle+bell .

Also the Adie:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adie-Classic-Chrome-Bicycle-Bell/142350457176?epid=6003559254&hash=item2124bf9958:g:HWQAAOSwomhbR3Im:rk:12:pf:0

Has anyone got any of these? What is the quality like?

Most don't say their size, and also whether they are for left or right side of the handlebar (I want left).

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
HOW MUCH!!! £225 for a bell, trouble is some people will pay it and that just pushes the prices up. Never seen those Meteor ones before, very Flash Gordon. BTW, how much is 5 bob?
5 bob is 25p. (bob = shilling = 1/20 pound)

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
25 pence Pete !

I wonder if HMRC are aware?

Jim

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
5 bob or 5 shillings . There were 20 shillings in a pound so work it out! They were propper pounds tho not to be confused with today's pounds as they could by alsorts of stuff. In my smoking days a pack of fags cost two and a penny. That's two shillings and and one pence..

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I remember paying 4/6 (4 shillings and sixpence), (22.5 pence) per gallon for "premium" petrol in the early '60s and thinking that was expensive! Flecc will be along in a minute with an even lower price :) Mind you my weekly wage at that time was less than £9.00.

Jim

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've had a few modern/new tring tring bells and they've all failed through either the mechanics jamming, or the fact that it only rings when the case is rotated to one particular place. Otherwise you just get a sort of dull thud with no volume. So you get it set just right, then the next time you need it you just get the thud 'cause the case has moved. My wife has one, it's crap, most of the time all you get is a sort of thrud thrud!
That's why I ended up with the Pashley, it's well made and it works every time. However I do agree that a tring tring would be more effective (why is that?) so if anybody finds a good one, well made (like the Lucas ones) let us know. I think the larger diameter ones are louder/more reliable as there's more room for the mechanism.
Looks like this is an area where to buy cheap is to buy 3 or 4 times. But given my bell history I'm reluctant to shell out without a glowing recommendation.

I remember my Nan sending me to the chippy for cod and chips for the grand total of 1/2d, that's a little under 6p.
When I was about 11 went on an early morning fishing trip with my mate. When we got off the bus we saw a ten bob note (50p) lying on the wet grass. It bought both our day licences, some bait and an individual apple pie each. Well chuffed, didn't catch anything though, more about two lads stretching their boundaries really.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
The Halfords bell looks ok at £6 but they wont deliver....!
Suck them!

Jim

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just been to Halfords. The big chrome bell was nice with good tone, but sadly a ding-dong not the tring-tring I wanted.

I got a Dutch one from a nearby 'real' bike shop at £6.99. A bit smaller than I wanted (55mm) but decent tone and rings reliably so far; not even mounted on a bike yet. For left side mounting which is what I wanted. The top is rigid and won't unscrew ... good points and bad points about that. It looks identical to the Widek and Fishers on Amazon except for the symbol on the top: they all three have the same W on the knob, but the Widek only claims to be 52mm.

.... A bit more searching and I see my bell is branded as a Raleigh with R symbol, same as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-CHROME-RALEIGH-R-CYCLE-BELL-IDEAL-FOR-RALEIGH/192691656703?hash=item2cdd5157ff:g:e6gAAOSwUulbxdze:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Appropriate as it is going on our Raleigh Motus which had a really feeble ping bell.

I'll still be keeping my eyes open for bigger ones, we need two more for the tandem.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Why not put the video on YouTube and place a link here? (I intend to do that soon) I don't know if the site accepts any video? Seem unlikely that it would accept some video but not mp4. If so you could convert with the free HandBrake, but that is rather a faffle.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I have to say I like the Crane brass bell, but have noticed for several years bells as a cycle warning are not that best received by pedestrians, even if they effectively warn.
I perceive they are seen as a bit aggressive and on shared ways more a demand to get out of the way rather than warn and request we work out a way for me to pass safely.
We both have for a long time had the squeeze type kids bike tooter horns, these are far better received as well as achieving the required warning. In use we more normally receive a friendly meant amused comment and the requisite clear way to pass, with bells they seem to cause pedestrians to jump out of the way and mutter comments about "B" cyclist thinking they own the place. Just a long held observation, but the brass bell looks impressive and a pride in ownership thing, certainly compared to my toy plastic hooter. We have the mini ping type bell the bikes came with, but rarely use them.

Last edited: