Rear Hub Brakes

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Hi All,
My Sprint 7 has a very efficient rear hub brake which works really well in the wet, but I don't know how it works. Most of the cycle maintenance books I own mention these items in passing but don't go into much detail. From the Haynes book I have learned how to adjust it and gleaned a passing reference to re-greasing hub brakes but little else. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram that shows how the little devil works? I don't really want to start removing the rear wheel and tinkering just yet...if it aint broke, etc. Does it need greasing?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here you are Pete, diagrams and description of operation on this link.

I've never greased them.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. to the above info:

Just looked up my files for the tech sheet on these and it says this:

Abnormal noise or abnormally high braking force can be due to lack of grease, entrust to dealer.

The brake unit should never be disassembled. If it is disassembled, it will no longer work properly.

Sounds like just use! :)

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Thanks flecc. Looks quite straightforward simply using a cam and bearings. Doesn't look like there is much I can do on the maintenance front...hooray.:) I'm really surprised by how efficient it is. The only time I have ever come across anything like this before was on a coaster brake my friend's son had on a small junior bicycle some years back. This is the first one I've seen using a standard cable. I like it:D

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

sometimes the brakes on my torq seem to have a mind of there own the front brakes were rubbing so i thought it would be best to loosen them:) but they were still rubbing so i went the other way and made the brake blocks closer to the rim and the rubbing stopped:confused: now my rear dics brake is rubbing so its back to the drawing board.nigel

cocoabeans

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2007
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but while we're on the subject of rear hub brakes...

Has anyone had any trouble with theirs being squeaky? In the past, when I've ridden the Quando I'm about to inherit, it's been pretty high pitched at times. While this is quite good for making yourself noticed, I don't think it's meant to be like that... Maybe I'm relying on it too much- I usually use the rear brake on its own for fear of flying over the handlebars :eek:

Cocoa

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the brakes are noisy Cocoa it's good idea to start with cleaning the rims with a solvent cleaner like meths (from DIY) or Iso Propyl Alchohol (from Chemists).

If the squealing persists, change the brake blocks. The Clark MTB ones stocked by Halfords are low priced and suitable for the Quando. They are longer than the standard ones but behave better. On the fixing bolts keep all the collars in the order as received, but put the wide collar on the outside and narrow collar on the inside to fit them onto the brake arms. Observe the tiny L and R markings to ensure they are on the correct sides.

If you don't want to do it yourself, any dealer can do supply suitable pads and fit them.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
NIGEL

Your rear brake is a roller brake like Pete's. If it's rubbing, just give the cooling disc a firm jiggling about to loosen it a bit, it should float. They sometimes tend to rub until they run in and loosen off.

Sounds like your front brake is ok now.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

which disc
do you mean the metal one or the black plastic one or did you mean the brake arm thanks nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The finned metal one is the cooling disc Nigel, just jiggle that about to make sure it floats freely. If there seems to be rubbing from the black disc, slacken the arm clamp bolt to free it from the frame a bit, then re-tighten it, ensuring that there's no rubbing.

cocoabeans

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2007
flecc, thanks for your advice. My post might have seemed inappropriate for this thread, but I was under the impression that the rear brake on the Quando was a hub brake. According to your reply and the 50cycles website it has V-brakes front and rear, so I must be mistaken. I guess this is what comes from not having the bike to hand... *waits patiently* :rolleyes:

Sorry! Cocoa

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No problem Cocoa, it is a brakes thread. :)

The prototype Quando had a rear band brake which did squeal as these always do. I didn't know these reached production, but they may have done, so your's may have one of these.

Later bikes retain the drum area for the band brake but it's plastic coated against rust and redundant now, replaced by a V brake on the lower A frame tubes.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
My post might have seemed inappropriate for this thread, but I was under the impression that the rear brake on the Quando was a hub brake.
I think you will find that most people welcome contributions to threads. It all helps to expand the knowledge and make the community more open.;) I'm sure if a posting is particularly in the wrong place there is a moderator capable of moving it. :D

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

thanx for advice flecc i get on with that later i dont really know how that rear disc brake works do you think it is better then the front brake that is what i am used to though it looks ok and so far no problems?:D nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not actually a disc brake Nigel, the big finned disc is just for cooling it.

The brake centre has ramps inside with rollers on them. When you apply the brake, the rollers ride up the ramps and squeeze against a series of brake pads, these in turn pressing against the inside of a drum, giving the braking force.

The advantage of this arrangement is the at the brake lasts practically for ever without needing pads etc.

It's rated as good for 100 kilos, so with an electric bike like the torq and a rider, it's around it's limit, so the braking force isn't very strong. It's best used for normal slowing down, the front brake added when a quicker stop is necessary.

cocoabeans

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2007
Now that I have my Quando I can confirm that it doesn't in fact have rear V-brakes. It has a rear hub brake I think, and it's squeaking a lot. Here are some photos of it (the bike still needs a good clean up!):

Here you can see the brake cable coming in from the bottom left. The brake part is inside the shiny chrome disc as far as I can tell.

Here's a view from the other side, with the brake cable coming in from the bottom right.

Any ideas as to why it's squeaking and how to fix it? On looking at the photos I'm thinking maybe it's all the dirt!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is the band brake that I mentioned Cocoa. It has a central steel drum and a band that wraps around it. The cable pulls the band against the central drum and the rubbing between the two provides the braking force. These have been used on various Chinese made bikes but I've never worked on them, they weren't around during my trade days. Therefore I can't advise any specific action. It probably needs stripping and cleaning, and an experienced bike dealer could probably tackle that for you.

You certainly wont do the bike any harm by cleaning it, and a thorough wash might help matters meanwhile.

cocoabeans

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2007
Ok, thank you for verifying the type of brake flecc :)

Does that make mine one of the early Quando IIs then? (You mentioned the band brake was a prototype feature).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it is an earlier one Cocoa, but I've no idea when the changeover to a V brake was, other than that it was before I bought mine in August 2006. 50cycles may be able to tell you that, and may also be able to offer some advice on the band brake maintenance.