Rear hub or front wheel hub? Help!!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi nice too meet you, could you please tell me how geared motor works and also would this work with a 21 speed (3x7) and what will I need to buy thanks, sorry I'm a noob :rolleyes:
Geared hub motor should work with 3x7 speed. If you want to use your old cassette/freehub you need to make sure the kit has the appropriate fitting. The cost of a new cassette/freehub isn't that much anyway.

Geared hub motors have gears internal to the hub motor. Fixed gearing, just so the motor can run fast (which electric motors prefer) without turning the wheel too fast. The one thing the direct drive ones (such as that Voilamart) are good at is going illegally fast on the flat.

I second the suggestion to buy from Woosh; our tandem kit came from them. You'll get help about the best kit to buy for your situation, and excellent advice if you need help fitting, and service if anything does go amiss later. You'll know all the bits work properly together, and there won't be complications with VAT/import/etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Geared motor hubs as such don't have gears that change, what they do have is nylon gears attached to a clutch mechanism that allows freewheeling and unpowered riding . The nylon gears depending on size /teeth give a certain ratio which makes unpowered riding easier.
The Xiongda two speed hub does change gear and has a two speed setting which changes automatically.

The DD gearless hubs have no clutch so this makes them extremely hard to cycle unpowered unless you are built like Geoff Capes.
In case some aren't older enough or know GC was a shot putter and twice world strongest man back in the day.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I think you will find them very helpful with sensible and pragmatic advice.
hi how much did you pay for shipping, I found the kit but they don't have 13AH and 15AH batteries as they are out of stock only 17ah but I'm thinking which one should I buy (XFO8C or 85SX)?

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
The price quoted on their web site is the price you pay. As previously suggested, I would contact them directly to discuss your requirements and review any options. They will give you sound advice.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt