Rear pannier rack help please.

Ricky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 25, 2021
Hi all new to this site and looking to convert my MTB into a mid drive ebike. The problem I have is that there is not enough room within the frame for the battery, therefore looking to fit a rear pannier rack. That’s the second problem there are no fittings for the rack, can anyone recommend a rack that fits onto the seat post via a quick release clamp. I am looking to do gravel path/ canal path/ Forrest path riding . Have seen some batteries which fit onto rear racks are they any good and would their panniers work? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks Ricky

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Seat clamp types are vulnerable to fatigue and I would say more so for off road trails and bumpy tracks. Thule do a rack and ride system where the fixings are solely on the rear top stays, I have one on a small frame mtb and it worked a treat, not cheap though but I found it rugged enough for S/downs riding on the off beaten tracks.

Reactions: guerney

Ricky

Sep 25, 2021
Seat clamp types are vulnerable to fatigue and I would say more so for off road trails and bumpy tracks. Thule do a rack and ride system where the fixings are solely on the rear top stays, I have one on a small frame mtb and it worked a treat, not cheap though but I found it rugged enough for S/downs riding on the off beaten tracks.
Cheers Neath, that looks a good rack, bit pricey, suppose you get what you pay for.Thanks for the info.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have been using a seat post clamp one on my Haibike with no issues from when I bought the bike in 2015. My bike gets used roughly 50% off road and I ride in a spirited fashion and carry two full Ortleib panniers. So my experience of a seat post clamp/rear rack mounting point has been good. The bike is 6 and a half years old and has been ridden 14.260 miles so far.

Reactions: Ricky

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Maybe something like a Topeak MTX beam rack:

Most seem to take 9Kgs, which should be much more than your battery weight.
There are options with pannier sides too if you don't want to strap the battery directly to the rack.

We have one which is plenty strong enough, but it's not a quick release like the more recent models.

About £37.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I bought the Thule as it was the only option I found for a rear suspension bike, since I have got rid of the suspension bike as I find hard tail much better.

Ricky

Sep 25, 2021
Hi Peter, thanks for replying. How does the bike handle? I got advice from local bike shop to use a down type battery rather than pannier - he has a hailong battery which may just fit with some mods - not for sale. I assume a pannier battery would be easier to fit but don’t want to affect handling although won’t planning easy Forrest path canal path routes java attached pic of mtb

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Standard hailong down tube battery is hidden in the bag
The weight is towards the rear but needs must nothing standard will fit in the 13 inch frame the mid-drive motor is low in the frame so the balance is not that bad
A cheap rear hub motor [plate sized] would add to much to the tail weight

IMG_20210708_192606058.jpg

Ricky

Sep 25, 2021
Hi Peter, have you drilled and screwed the bottoms of the battery- the battery connector to the rack? What bag did you use to cover the battery. I think this is genius, you just made my mind up to buy the standard battery as I can do as you did if it won’t fit the frame. Thank you so much

Attachments

Ricky

Sep 25, 2021
That looks a comfy seat, did it come with the bike? Once you cut the bag tothe template, do you tuck the bottom of the bag between the battery carrier and the rack then tighten down the bolts into the rivinuts to secure the battery and the bag ? Once again thanks for all your help