Reasonably priced bike advice..

Philip

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2014
Hi,

Having read through the forum and in an effort to save money on commuting I am looking to get a pedelec.
Many of the threads in this forum are looking at bikes of getting on for £900 -£1000 plus.
Unfortunately I just don't have that kind of money, my budget is around £600-£700 and I would need to buy it through my works cycle to work scheme.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a bike that is ok, and is close to my budget? Below I have posted two examples of bikes I have found from a shop that I can get to that may be suitable but haven't seen any reviews of them.

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Byocycle/Byocycle_Boxer_24_Electric_Folding_Bike.aspx (My current number one choice as it is foldable)

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Green_Edge/Greenedge_CS2.aspx

Additional info:
I would be riding it around 10 miles, on generally flat ground.
A bonus would be that it is foldable but be of a normal ish size, I'm not keen on the really small wheeled bikes. This is because I need to carry it up five flights of stairs to my flat where I would store it - wouldn't risk leaving it outside..

Thanks for any input.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Philip,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry if this is a bit negative, but I think you will struggle to find an 'off the peg' bike that meets all your criteria.

Large wheel folder for under £700 on a cycle to work scheme.

Woosh are certainly worth a look in that price bracket.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Remember the weight, neither of those have the weight given, but I'd guess that folder is in the 22 to 25 kilo range, a considerable weight to carry up five flights of stairs. I also don't like that locking clip on the folder, I prefer a more positive locking together.

Both Byocycles and Greenedge have been around for a while which might be reassurance re: ongoing support.

For more choice of bikes in your price range, have a look at the following major suppliers:

Woosh e-bikes

Kudos e-bikes

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Phil,what you want is a contradiction,there are 26" wheeled folders but they tend to be awkward to carry when folded,more fold to store than fold to carry,to carry one up 5 flights would be so difficult you will wish you had bought a non assisted bike.
You really are restricted to small wheeled bikes by that I mean 20" not 14",my Kudos Secret bike is about the lightest around at 18 kgs but I would struggle to carry it up 5 flights,the price is £725.00...it would do the commute distance you want easily.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The £599 Green Edge looks very good:

also there's the woosh £585 Sirocco with slightly larger capacity battery (36V 10AH battery against 9AH for the Green Edge).
http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?sirocco

Philip

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks for the advise and the further options to consider - am checking them out now. It does seem I'm being a bit optimistic especially re the folding option.
Probably should add I do have a lift that goes up 3 storeys, so can use that if necessary and just have to wheel the bike up two storeys - its just its a really old lift (i.e 1930s with manual sliding doors etc) which I prefer to avoid normally..

The whoosh bikes seem to have a good selection in my price range, but are a bit heavier than the Kudos bike - I may have to go to a store and try some bikes of similar weights to see how manageable they are.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh £699 Zephyr CDN would fit in any lift without having to fold but they are more often out of stock than in.
http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-cdn
Also, smaller wheeled bikes are not as comfortable as full size 26" wheeled bikes on a 10 mile stretch.

Pedaldog

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2014
North West
Have you thought about buying a 26" wheeled folder, such as the Rudge Bi-frame and adding your own kit to that? I had a Bi-frame a few years ago and it was a nice bike to ride, steady handling and folded acceptably when needed. I know it's a good long lasting bike as it's been through various members of YACF and Fell Club members and AFAIK is still running okay.

Philip

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks for the additional options. Yes, the byocycle is one I am looking at as an option and that company is in the cycle to work scheme.