Rechargeable heated gloves

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
I am 76 years of age and have been managing to still get out on my electric bike although its very cold.

The problem I have is I try to do about 12 miles a day but I am finding the cold is making my hands very uncomfortable and would like to buy some rechargeable gloves.

I have tried 2 pairs from Amazon but they were pretty useless, you have to charge the special wire inside the glove via usb, but I think having a rechargeable internal p[ower supply would be better. If I did a lot more mileage I wouldn't mind spending more money but I cant justify the cost.

Can anyone give me some advise on what I should buy,,, thanks

Sorry but I dont know which forum I should have posted this in

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For cold riding lobster gloves are damn good, highly insulated but you need to buy a size or two larger then normal to get them on. Save messing about with wires and power supplies, another tip is to wear a thin pair of silk gloves underneath as well.
My ones keep my hands toasty.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
For cold riding lobster gloves are damn good, highly insulated but you need to buy a size or two larger then normal to get them on. Save messing about with wires and power supplies, another tip is to wear a thin pair of silk gloves underneath as well.
My ones keep my hands toasty.
Thanks for your advice, I have had a quick look on the internet but there is a big difference in price, do you have any idea which I should go for,,, thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I bought mine from Planetx but they are currently not listed, the brand was ' CARNAC'. They were excellant value at about £12 a pair, I got a windproof pair and a water proof pair.
One doesn't have to pay stupid money for them.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: pentiumofborg

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I am 76 years of age and have been managing to still get out on my electric bike although its very cold....
The problem I have is I try to do about 12 miles a day but I am finding the cold is making my hands very uncomfortable and would like to buy some rechargeable gloves....
Can anyone give me some advise on what I should buy
I'm afraid that if you don't naturally generate a decent amount of heat in your fingers, then even Crab hand type gloves might not work
(and FWIW, I have the Carnac ones Nealh mentioned, and my fingers still get bloody freezing after more than say half an hour of cycling in icy weather, and that's with buying a larger pair, and having another set of warm innergloves on as well! - plus I'm normally cycling on a non electric, so I'm also working up a fair sweat in my core! my hands STILL get cold!!)

These have been on my shopping list for a while, but as I haven't got around to buying a pair as yet, so can't testify on how good they are, but I seem to recall reading some good reviews in the past:
https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-heated-cycle-glove

Cheap heated gloves are often pretty useless. You ideally need heating elements all the way to the finger tips and its usually only the more expensive ones have that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

These ones I can't vouch for but the first review summed up my thoughts, silk under gloves on very cold days acts like a thermal under layer for extra toasty nice warm hands, actually it's not the hands that suffer but usually the fingers. Two fingers in one keeps them warmer, if you get two hot remove the silk under glove and bung in your pocket.
Optimum Nitebrite Cycling Lobster Men's Gloves - Black/Fluro/X-Large: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Wow! That's a well thought out design! My fingers were so frozen last night riding, that I worried about frostbite. Wish I'd seen your Lobster Gloves post before I bought these today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-winter-motorcycle-textile-Cordura-Gloves-with-Hipora-Waterproof/224076229112?hash=item342bfbe9f8:g:qaQAAOSwfONfCcLn

Also as a bonus, those lobsters are also reflective! It's odd that it's so much more difficult to find the reflective ones...

D

Deleted member 33385

I'm afraid that if you don't naturally generate a decent amount of heat in your fingers, then even Crab hand type gloves might not work
(and FWIW, I have the Carnac ones Nealh mentioned, and my fingers still get bloody freezing after more than say half an hour of cycling in icy weather, and that's with buying a larger pair, and having another set of warm innergloves on as well! - plus I'm normally cycling on a non electric, so I'm also working up a fair sweat in my core! my hands STILL get cold!!)

These have been on my shopping list for a while, but as I haven't got around to buying a pair as yet, so can't testify on how good they are, but I seem to recall reading some good reviews in the past:

Cheap heated gloves are often pretty useless. You need heating elements all the way to the finger tips and its usually only the more expensive ones have that.
I find pumping my hands/gripping and ungripping the grips helps move warm blood to cold fingers.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As long as one has no major circulation issues then the Lobsters are good, I have yet to get cold hands, both of my pairs are wind proof so this helps greatly with retaining heat. One pair is for general cold riding and the other are water proof.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
As long as one has no major circulation issues then the Lobsters are good, I have yet to get cold hands..
People seem to vary tremendously in how cold their hands get. Some ride bikes in sub zero temperatures with no gloves at all, some will lose heat eventually no matter how good their (non heated) gloves are!

I clearly remember suffering from cold fingers riding my motorbike even in my early 20's , so I don't think its anything like an age related circulatory issue in my case. Its just the way I am, and I'm sure some others are the same.
FWIW, when I bought my current motorbike, two things I got fitted as non standard extras were hand/wind guards, and heated grips. Best things I've ever bought!!

D

Deleted member 33385

As long as one has no major circulation issues then the Lobsters are good, I have yet to get cold hands, both of my pairs are wind proof so this helps greatly with retaining heat. One pair is for general cold riding and the other are water proof.
Your silk glove inner lining tip is a very good one...

Reactions: richtea99
D

Deleted member 33385

People seem to vary tremendously in how cold their hands get. Some ride bikes in sub zero temperatures with no gloves at all, some will lose heat eventually no matter how good their (non heated) gloves are!

I clearly remember suffering from cold fingers riding my motorbike even in my early 20's , so I don't think its anything like an age related circulatory issue in my case. Its just the way I am, and I'm sure some others are the same.
FWIW, when I bought my current motorbike, two things I got fitted as non standard extras were hand/wind guards, and heated grips. Best things I've ever bought!!
They should sell those for ebikes! Rapid Googling required... Motorbike options are so well thought out.

Aha! Here we are, mitten windguards:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Handlebar-Windproof-Motorcycle-Resistant/dp/B08H82ZZKM/

They'd be better if they somehow had integrated rear view mirrors and indicators...

Perhaps unsafe? Would they keep your hands more captive in an accident?

Last edited:

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008

Cheap heated gloves are often pretty useless. You ideally need heating elements all the way to the finger tips and its usually only the more expensive ones have that.
Many thanks for the honest comments,,, I am going to try and get a pair of Sealskinz,, none heated ones which have very good recent reviews at £55 the only problem is no stock so i've left my email address should they get any stock in.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Winter fingered gloves keep the fingers separate so they can't keep each other warm,
Kirstin who hasn't posted for a very long time used the CARNAC's daily for his 15mile commute to and from work along the Shoreham/Brighton coast and highly rated them.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
D

Deleted member 33385

Sod the expensive stuff! These arrived today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-winter-motorcycle-textile-Cordura-Gloves-with-Hipora-Waterproof/224076229112?hash=item342bfbe9f8:g:qaQAAOSwfONfCcLn

It might turn out to be another case of Buy cheap, buy twice", again, but I can test out the waterproofing tonight and windproofing when it's subzero in about a week . The fit is a little on the tight side, but leaves my fingers dextrous enough, and unexpectedly - the inner sides are real leather, providing a good grip.

Perhaps tonight will be the night I die of a heart attack! A few glasses of wine need to wear off so I can gain sufficient physical balance...

Last edited:

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Hi. I’ve tried Sealskinz gloves. Bought for their waterproof properties to keep hands dry and warm in wet and cold weather. I’m sorry to say that for me they did not live up to expectations. That said, I recall that they come with a money back guarantee so you can try them safely.

D

Deleted member 33385

Hi. I’ve tried Sealskinz gloves. Bought for their waterproof properties to keep hands dry and warm in wet and cold weather. I’m sorry to say that for me they did not live up to expectations. That said, I recall that they come with a money back guarantee so you can try them safely.

...I doubt that Hipora will be any better at keeping out the rain. Maybe I should wear a couple of pairs of Marigolds with holes in them...