Recommend me a cheap bike

Orson1981

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 30, 2013
I just moved out to the country side from London and I want to buy a cheap (~600 - 700) bike so I don't have to rely on the buses out here. I've owned an electric bike before, a cheap iZip, which I absolutely loved, but only used it for driving a mile all on paved roads. I've been all over these forums for the last week looking for advice that perfectly fit my situation with no luck. Help me make up my mind.

Let me explain the situation. I'm a tallish (6'0") heavy guy (260lbs) looking for a bike for a 5 mile commute through minimal elevation change. I'll be riding on a path, so I'm looking for something that will offer a little more comfort, though I'll probably buy a bigger seat right away. A throttle is pretty much necessary, since it has been years since I have ridden a bike and it will take awhile for me to get use to it again. I'm only going to be living in the UK for another 10 months so I don't want to blow the budget on an expensive bike that might just get left behind when I have to leave. That said I am willing to pay a little more money if it means getting a much better experience (let's try to not break 800).

The number one bike I've been looking at is:
Electric Bicycles - Vortex £649
but I haven't been able to find any reviews, which makes me nervous. I've found a couple bikes that look real nice for 800+, but I really want to try to avoid that if possible.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need a bike with a strong high torque motor because of your weight. The Woosh Big Bear would be perfect as it has the Bafang BPM motor, which is very robust and powerful. It does however have quite soft forks. You'll probably want to stiffen them up with a couple of pre-load spacers over the springs if that's possible.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We have a special December offer to Pedelec members which gives 10% off any bike available at our website. This may just entice you...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
though I'll probably buy a bigger seat right away
Bigger seats don't necessarily mean more comfort, from the ones I've tried the opposite is true.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
A forum member is selling a hardly used Freego Eagle with the big 16a/h battery for under £500. The bike should easily do all you require and more. Cracking bikes, I've had mine for over two years and it's been great.

Whilst the warranty will have expired, Freego have an excellent reputation for service and reliability and parts are easily available. Looks like a bargain to me.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/classifieds/15776-freego-eagle-sale.html

Here is a link to my own review of my Eagle. I wrote it two years ago and it still performs well.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/10100-freego-eagle-my-first-e-bike.html

Last edited:

Orson1981

Nov 30, 2013
I'm a little confused the Sirocco 2 is rated for people up to 110 kgs or about 240lbs while the big bear is rated for riders up to 15 stones, or 210lbs. Something seems wrong.

The Siroccos seem nice, but I can't really tell what the difference is between the standard model, the big bear, and the CDL.

D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't take too much notice of the weight recommendations.

The Big Bear has the Bafang BPM motor, which is much larger and stronger than most ebike motors. You'll find it much more capable than anything else in that price range. The Kudos Tornado has the rear version of the motor, and some of the Ezee bikes also have similar ones, but they're more expensive.

The Sirocco 2 has a smaller motor, which is fine for average people. It'll work OK, but will struggle to get you up hills, and it'll feel sluggish.

The Woosh bikes with CD suffices have crank-drive motors. It can climb steeper hills than the small hub-motors if you're average weight, but again I think that you might find it a bit sluggish with 118kg on board. It's OK for people up to about 100kg.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd go for the Woosh Sirocco CDL, about same price (£799) as other wooshes, but easier to maintain than hub motors, nicely balanced weightwise and not so boring colour.

Orson1981

Nov 30, 2013
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm feeling pretty confident now about the Big Bear bike. It is a big more than I wanted to spend, but I think it will be a good bike for the price, hopefully I'll fall in love with it the first time I ride it and never worry about the money again (I think this would be true for all bikes).

Since some of you have mentioned buying a used bike, I would ask how well the batteries hold up over 2+ years. My understanding was you couldn't really expect more than two years out of the battery before you had to replace it. Since I will only be in the country another 10 months, it would be great if I could sell the bike before I leave to recoup some of the money I invested. How is the second hand market?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Since I will only be in the country another 10 months, it would be great if I could sell the bike before I leave to recoup some of the money I invested. How is the second hand market?
It's something you need to consider before purchasing new for such a short time of use check out the numerous threads on depreciation. Also warranty is currently not transferable even on a 10 month old bike.

The Wisper is a quality bike and I am sure for your kind of use it would not pose any battery range problems it is also specified for 130kg loading and has an independent throttle.

http://www.wisperbikes.com/manuals/2011_version_705ecorange_issue2.pdf

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Buying 2nd hand really is a lottery.

If the price is right, allow for the battery to be a dud.

Personally, I buy used bikes, but new electrics.

Orson1981

Nov 30, 2013
I'm sure the whisper bike is great, but the nearest shop to me wants to sell it for 1700, I was willing to stretch the original budget some, but not by a factor of almost 3.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
Bigger seats don't necessarily mean more comfort, from the ones I've tried the opposite is true.
Agree - I'm not a small lad either... 6'1", about *coughahem*290*ccoughgasp* pounds.

I had a big seat, with nice padding, which gave me a sore **** after about 10 mniutes, but by 20 minutes was numb enough to feel nothing (but my legs started to tingle!) Swapped it for a cheapy I hade from an old bike which was OK, then got this:

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/madison/flux-mtb-saddle-ec027281 Madison Flux - They're cheap, and SUPER comfy - I'm thinking I might actually buy two as spares on my next order!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
When I bought my Kraken it came with a 180mm gel saddle, but it felt like it caused muscles in my upper thigh/backside to lactate horribly - Not like cramp, but just as painful.

My Mamba came with a 140mm knuttcrusher, which sent a horrible pain up through my groin (lovely word that), so I researched a bit & found favourable reviews on a WTB speed progel, 140mm.

So I got one from Chain Reaction, delivered next day
The reviews said it seems to suit most size bums - First 1/2mile was very uncomfortable, but in a couple of miles was forgotten & that's how its been ever since - Suits me nicely.

Last edited: