Recommend me a new front light

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Well I'm sure it was listed as 'In stock' when I ordered it, but it's now apparently noto_O

And won't now be available until..... March :rolleyes: I don't think so.

Order cancelled and placed elsewhere. Definitely available, definitely in stock and definitely available for next day delivery. Hopefully.

Gaz

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Well I'm sure it was listed as 'In stock' when I ordered it, but it's now apparently noto_O

And won't now be available until..... March :rolleyes: I don't think so.

Order cancelled and placed elsewhere. Definitely available, definitely in stock and definitely available for next day delivery. Hopefully.

Gaz
Had a similar issue when I bought mine, but with Halfords online. Order went through, home delivery specified, but never arrived after 10 days.

Only after contacting Halford's customer services, did I find out that it had been delivered to my local branch instead. Thanks for telling me Halfords :mad:

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
HALFORDS, don't get me started !
Ordered a dash cam to be delivered to local store, I got a txt confirming order and estimated delivery in 3 days "we will let you know when it arrives"
A week later, no txt so I decide on a better better cam Stocked in store & free fitting ;)
Another 3 weeks and I get a call from a real person ! "Do you still want this dash cam, it been sitting here for nearly a month"
As it happens, I'm happy the way things turned out as I have a better cam but that dosent excuse halfords shoddy service.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Thanks awol, but that still looks a little bit to universal, the light I got, can dim to around 50% by hitting the button on the back of the lamp.

I recon I can drill and tap a couple of 2.5mm thread's into the body of the lamp, and make a more secure fixing that way.

One of the lights that I got failed, so I have a body casing to play with, got the weekend of work so will be having a fettle in the workshop, to see what I can come up with.

My handle bars are quite a small diameter design, being titanium, just 20mm, so the light with the rubber ring fixing does tend to rotate of it's own accord, especially if I hit a bump, or if it's raining.

You can' beat a fixed ridged mount IMHO.
A couple of wraps of rubber self amalgamating tape round the handlebar first stops it rotating,

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and awol

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I have one of these on the front http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-lights/magicshine-mj-816e-1800-lumens-wide-angle-bike-light.html and one of these http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-lights/rear-bike-lights/mj-818-rear-light-split-kit-85.html on the rear, both run off of the same battery, its like riding in daylight, especially in the woods at night, I`ve had them for 2 years, all weathers, never missed a beat, front light has 3 settings, and each setting has variable control, totally dimable, from max to just a leagal light setting.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Well I missed it being delivered yesterday, so picked it up from the sorting office this morning, and used it on my way home tonight :)

Verdict: WOW!! :cool:

What a thoroughly impressive light. Good light pattern, way too bright to have on max for road use. Feels very well put together. Charged via the USB on my pooter at work. Proper screw on handlebar mount, which can cope with my tapered handlebars and the light clicks very securely into the mount. I had it on it's lowest setting all the way home, which for mostly lit roads was plenty.

I was thinking, as you (i.e. I) do that more lumens must be better - why I was looking at the Cateye Volt 1200 and 1600's, but for me I certainly don't need anything more than this.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it wholeheartedly :)

Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lumens depends what you want the light for ie throw or flood and what reflectors and lenses you use or that is in the light.

tho more power is better either way just ready made high lumens lights cost a fortune.

but a cree xhp 70 led can pump out over 4000 lumens at 32w just it gets hot fast esp that high out put.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A bit late to this thread, but I picked one of these up the other day while on special offer to replace my faulty lezyne 1500xl

https://www.evanscycles.com/moon-meteor-storm-pro-EV276570

The good guys at evans will refund me back the original price of the lezyne when it gets back from the manufacturer under warranty.
I'm really impressed with my Moon Meteor-X Auto Pro. At last a company that manufactures a bike light which ticks all the right boxes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the other lights in their range.

• Agree
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its faster using windows ;)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've just treated myself to a Moon Meteor-X Auto Pro:

http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=210
http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=210
Things I like about it.
  • Very compact
  • Rechargeable
  • Battery lasts ages, even on high power mode
  • Mount stays on bike, so just clip light on when needed
  • Light doesn't shift around on rough terrain
  • Mount swivels left/right, for handlebars that are curved
  • Last setting memory, so no need to toggle through the modes every time it's switched on
  • Side lighting, so you can be seen by vehicles from the side
  • Waterproof
  • Good value for money, I paid £30
Best 30 quid I've spent in a while, although you might want to go for a more powerful model. The 560 lumen model looks good:

http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=141
There's a few of these going new on eBay for £23.14 with free postage.

Moon Meteor-X Auto Cycling Front Light - up to 450Lumens

For that price, they are an excellent bike light ;)

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I just bought a Solarstorm X3 (triple front light). They throw in a free rear light.

I had a Solarstorm before, but I accidentally gave it 50 volts, and it's dead. Oops.

The listing says you also get a 4x18650 battery pack (but I think without batteries). 6600 lumens. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't say how good it is, but it looks too good to be true at £2.99.

That's the nice thing about paying via Ebay/Paypal. If actually is too good to be true, I can get my £2.99 back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstorm-X3-CREE-U2-6600Lm-Mountain-Cycle-Bicycle-Light-Bike-Front-Lamp-Torch-/162391524356?hash=item25cf4a0404:g:hqUAAOSwx6pYnmlV

Reactions: EddiePJ