Recommendations sought...front, rear, mid ?

SPYDER

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2015
Sherwood Forest NG17
Hi everyone. Some of you may have seen my XIONGDA build thread. Its a great bike, one of the best things I've ever built. But you can never have too many bikes so I am looking at building a more "road focused" ebike.
Base bike will likely be a Spesh Sirrus or similar. Flat bar hybrid. The question is.. front, rear or mid?
It will be 48v as I already have the battery. I'm aiming for a 260rpm motor. Or thereabouts. I think. And as small a diameter as possible. Nothing "dinner plate" sized. Disc brake compatible.
The "front" motor would only be in conjunction with an Alfine rear hub. There are quite a few such equipped bikes for sale.
Rear motor... well I'm tempted to do another XIONGDA build but I don't think I would really need the lower gear on a road bike. Can a XIONGDA do 260rpm? There's a MXUS XF08C motor on ebay. Could it be run at 48v? And what about the Q128H or Q128c?
Mid drive might be a possibility but I'm concerned about high cadence and clunky gearchanging.
Over to you guys. Help me to decide.
And what about carbon frames? Could the bottle mounts handle the weight of an ebike battery?
Not to mention an 85kg human...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 260 rpm then the Q128H has more torque then the C but takes a free wheel obviously the C is cassette, I have just ordered a 128c however you can't get it in 260rpm only the H which is the favoured ideal range give or take 10 rpm.
Using Lipo's I've gone for 201 @36v which I can then run as it is for about 18-19mph and good climbing torque or configure Lipo's to 48v which then will give a 260rpm motor and a bit more speed.
My carbon mtb did have a dolphin 15ah battery mounted it stayed put even after a few spills but needed extra riv nuts to help secure better.
The MXUS not sure but isn't it a dinner plate size, they are strong well built copies of bpm/cst so will take 48v with a 22a -25a controller.