Recommended conversion

prekloramedelec

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 16, 2014
Hi - looking for some advice.

I'm a regular road cyclist, not owning a car, and use a sturdy old (2000) Specialized Sirrus to commute. Whilst in London for three years I used a Birdy alfine disc folder instead, which was very nippy. Now back in the bradford area, I felt I needed to dig out my sirrus bike.

Normally fit enough to manage a 10 mile one-way commute for work on a daily basis, but I'm looking for an electric conversion to give me a bit more tolerance for longer commutes, e.g. 15-20 mile one way commutes in the South Birmingham area (e.g. kidderminster into Birmingham). Not that desperate to arrive fresh and non sweaty at work (shower's are available) but that would be a bonus.

I have my eye on getting the Sirrus converted with a Bionx motor, having tried one out at the Electrical bike shop in York. Out of the ebikes I tried, I really didn't like a throttle control and much preferred the sensing/smooth (and noise-less) ride of the bionx converted bike. Definitely don't want to convert a Birdy and I'm a bit of a speed-demon so I think I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of the bionx motor.

Just wonder if anyone else has any comments or other recommendations for my particular circumstances...?

Many thanks for reading.

Prek

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome
Crank drive gives the most bike like experience if you get a torque sensor.
On older Panasonic drive would give you the range.secondhand 24 volt one should be cheap now. Watch for the gear ratios and ride it unpowered to gauge performance.
As a boost even 100 watts would speed you along.
Even more radical a recumbent eases the miles after a six month getting used to period!

D

Deleted member 4366

The Bionx is very heavy and expensive. The 260 rpm Q100H kit from BMSBattery will give about 21 mph and is less than half the price, about half the weight and not too noisy, though louder than a Bionx

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The bionx has drag when unpowered as well, if you like riding unassisted at times it maybe an issue, plus their replacement battery was very expensive from memory.
A mate had one and he had a lot of issues under warranty and the motor casing snapped in half just out of warranty. This was a heavily used (commuting) motor but well looked after.

prekloramedelec

Jun 16, 2014
Many thanks for the tips/pointers. Have been doing some more searching and gone off the BionX - cost and weight being the main reasons. Now looking to try some kalkhoff's and cytronex bikes. I think the latter will suit me from the price point and the fact that I'm happy to put in more of my own effort when it comes to cycling.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Something like this what you are after?

Range 10 - 25 miles (totally dependant what speed settings you use, and when you use them)
Top speed - 30mph
Charge time - 45mins
Motor/controller - Bafang BBS02 48v 750w
Battery - 44.4v 5ah Turnigy (6s 5000ah 20c x 2)

This is how the bike looks now. I have had to move the battery from under the seat to a frame triangle bag, as the weight was constantly breaking the straps.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
at this power, do you think it needs a gear sensor sacko?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

it seems to me that this design introduces a small amount of play in the cable.

prekloramedelec

Jun 16, 2014
I'd love the faster speed of your bike. I think the motors fitted to the cytronex bikes cut out at 15 mph. Thanks for sharing the pics. Where did you source the bafang motor? Can you ride the bike well without battery - does it still feel like a road bike?

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Yes, you can still ride the bike and it feels good.

I converted a road bike to get fit. I often ride it without any assist at all, until I get to a hill...