Recovery service.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Good morning folks.
Hopefully some of you guys will remember us from the "moped" fiasco we had a while back and we are thankful for the support we received at the time from you all.
We are still active and I am well pleased with my new Gazelle C380 Ultimate.
This may well not be of interest to many of you guys so ignore as necessary. Perhaps you will be familiar with it but I wasn't.
Despite half a working life in auto engineering I am now lost regarding ebikes and at 73 with my ongoing health issues I am now accepting that sitting beside the road with some problem on either of our bikes didn't fill me with glee.
We discovered a cycle rescue service which seems a great idea for us so we signed up this morning at £25 annually for each bike. A small price for peace of mind.
If we never use it that will be fine with us.
Undoubtedly many / most of you will feel it unnecessary so fair enough but just in case I thought I should mention it.
It would appear that Wisper has this service included in new bike prices so apologies if it is already known about.
If not the number is 03330001234.

Keep safe.
Regards
Ted.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Hi Ted, as this is a GB company did they give you any details or a phone number of who here in NI are going to collect you, and what would be the time frame? How long would you be sitting around? I`d want a quick chat with the crew that have this job here just to make sure.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi Tommy, good to hear from you.
We were totally unaware of this service so I have no real info on details. It would seem that the service has been running for 30 years so they would have little to learn which is good.
I was actually surprised to learn that they cover this broken backwater section of GB but fortunately they do.

As for the schedule we have just received it appears that there is a specific breakdown number which may be central to all of GB who then appoint an agent (?) who is closest to the bike.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a specific "man with a van" waiting on a phone call so I would have to accept a possible wait which in my case at least would be preferable to the alternative.
Undoubtedly there will be folk on here who have used this service so we may learn more at some point.
Keep well.
Ted.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very interesting! A single 25 mile conveyance of my bike by taxi, will cost a lot more than £24.

Their cycle insurance offering also looks interesting - does anyone have experience of making a claim? Do they wriggle out of paying out? "2500 settled cycle claims" seems kinda small... over the 25 years they've been operating, that averages to only 100 claims a year! Are bike breakdown journeys (included in the insurance cover) counted as "claims"?

Last edited:

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
We use Cycling UK and ironically have just paid next year's cover at what might be seen as an expensive £33 each but the cover is good IMO in this "compo manic" part of the UK.

As for taxi assistance, when I researched the recovery issue a while back I was unable to find any company here (and there are a LOT) who would supply a minibus to carry two bikes and getting even one bike into an average VW Passat would be a sketch.

Two bikes?? Yes we as pensioners ride together and would be reluctant to be separated with the ailing bike taken home and the other left to make their own way home alone.
I used to walk through brick walls for a party piece when I was alive but those days are sadly gone.
ETA say they will recover both bikes even though one would still be rideable.
Nothing will be established however until the assistance is used and confirmed as a solution but £50 this year won't break us and cheap as chips for peace of mind.

Been on ebikes since 1995 without any issues but I am not getting any younger and a lot less confident daily.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As for taxi assistance, when I researched the recovery issue a while back I was unable to find any company here (and there are a LOT) who would supply a minibus to carry two bikes and getting even one bike into an average VW Passat would be a sketch.
That's one of the reasons why these days, I stick to folding bikes - much easier to transport via trains, planes and automobiles. Also shops don't object to my 20" wheeler, as long as it stays inside shopping trolleys (but security guards at Tescos hate my helmet camera).