Red Light Jumping - Crack Down

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Metpol officers in the West End of London reckon most of their "nicks" are of car drivers, the bikes ideal for chasing down errant motorists in the slow moving traffic. Top offence, not wearing a seatbelt.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
This will upset the little Englanders.

The audit commissions report on policing this week has come to the conclusion that it needs a radical overhaul, and that a BILLION could be saved without any significant or visible loss of service (no surprises there then:rolleyes:)

Also that more police are on duty on a Monday morning than a Friday night.:eek:

Funny that, as I was out and about early on Monday and in Norbury high street there were 3 of them wondering around on there own......and I thought to myself what on earth can they be doing! My wife suggested as the Police station is 100 yards away that this may be the reason. (busy doing nothing:))

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I believe one of the reasons for the Monday morning/Friday night imbalance, which any sensible person would agree is totally absurd, is the box-ticking Cut Down Overtime directive.

Thus, after the weekend, you can have a full complement on the morning shifts, fresh from their break (if any), but on a Friday night, the only way to have enough coppers is by paying them overtime to come in on their off-time.

Babys and Bathwater spring to mind so often when it comes to hearing similar tales of how the bureaucracy (across ALL aspects of government) works, or rather doesn't.

And the police, like the health service and other 'necessary' workers in the social sector, are stuck in the middle of this nonsense, most wanting to do their job, and most constantly blocked by the incompetence of their masters.

A.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The audit commissions report on policing this week has come to the conclusion that it needs a radical overhaul, and that a BILLION could be saved without any significant or visible loss of service (no surprises there then:rolleyes:)
If not more. Some of the waste is absolutely staggering. I think it was the Chief Constable of Essex who had the balls to say that generally, police forces have enough money to meet the demands placed on them, it was just that they weren't spending it correctly.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
If this ridicules attention on cyclists gets worse I thing I might get a step through next time...much easier for hopping on and of at lights:(

Last edited:

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
I got stares a couple of times this morning but both times they were in a car on the wrong side of a dual carriageway so couldn't do much about it. I really must be more police aware.
Mussels........have you ever thought they might be thinking "What a lovely looking machine!" :D :D :D

Regards,

Mike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If this ridicules attention on cyclists gets worse I thing I might get a step through next time...much easier for hopping on and of at lights:(
I'm not so sure it is rediculous attention, the junctions that have been targetted that I know are both dangerous for cyclists and ones where I won't try and jump the lights. I also see a few cyclists flying across pelican crossings with people on the crossing causing them to jump, that behaviour will have people calling for the police to do something. I quite like to generate the occasional pedestrian scream but I'll only do that if the lights are clearly in my favour.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I guess you are talking about large X traffic vehicular junctions which you see some cyclists risking their lives in to gain a few minutes...

I never really risk jumping lights like this, only pedestrian crossings, but I do anticipate them a bit when opposite traffic stops;)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
They are still at it in London. I've used one of the superhighways this week and there has been police on it every morning lecturing people and the cycle cops have been busy outside my office as cyclists keep jumping the pedestrian lights. I've not jumped the wrong set of lights so far. :p

culverwood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2010
London
www.caminolinks.co.uk
My beef is with bendy-buses and box junctions. I wrote to TFL to find out if they had to comply with the law. Of course they do. I have not heard of one ever being prosecuted despite the fact that if a private motorist did the same the cameras would pick him or her up and fine them.