Reducing wrist strain on Torq

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Most of what I wear is proper cycling gear because it's functional. I do stop short of lycra leotards though, the sports shops call my gear "recreational mtb clothing".
Often while wearing my cool helmet and shades, padded shorts, proper shoes, track mitts and yellow jersey (Its a posh HV vest really) I'll get cheery greetings and waves from the club racers I encounter. If only they knew where my speed really comes from.;)

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

yes i now have the same problem i bought the same grips that ian has but it will not fit over the throttle sleeve i wish i had never changed them:mad: also the plastic throttle sleeve has a crack in it i wish i had left well alone i am afraid i am not much use at even these simple jobs.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Nigel, to fit those grips you do need to do Fleccs throttle mod. A slightly simpler but non reversible solution would be to remove the entire throttle, cut the twistgrip part, complete with existing grip down to 2-3" in length using a hacksaw, clean up the cut with sandpaper, refit the throttle in a more inboard position than before leaving room for the new grip on the now exposed portion of handlebar. You will need to move the brake lever further inboard as well. You may find it helps to cut about 1" off the inboard end of the new grip, so that you can operate the throttle whilst resting the palm of your hand on the flat part of the grip.

On the photo below the knobbly part of the grip is what remains of the original throttle, although in this case I fitted part of a tapered grip I had as I thought it looked better than the original. Note that the new grip is not part of the throttle, it is firmly fixed to the handlebar and does not twist.

In the unlikely event of making a complete mess, I recall someone recently saying that replacement throttles are available for £20 from 50cycles.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Adding to Ian's advice, that crack won't matter when you get a grip over it Nigel, the throttle will still work just as well, whether halved as Ian has advised or left as it is. If you aren't able to get a grip that goes on easier from a cycle dealer, try a motor cycle dealer, as those grips are often a bit larger diameter.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Oops, missed the bit about the cracked sleeve, I'm still in the waking up phase. That means you've obviously removed the existing grip so ignore the reference to it. As Flecc says, the crack won't be a problem with a grip over it.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

not sure what has happened but i have a flashing red light down near battery the bike wont respond when i twist the throttle but when i turn the key the front wheel starts to spin any ideas welcome looks like i am of the road.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Make a note of the flash sequence and check in the diagnostic section of the manual for the meaning of that sequence, more than likely it will be throttle related. Double check the plug/socket in the cable going to the throttle and check the cable itself for damage. If you havent already done so, carefully cut away the black shrink tube around the plug/socket and unplug, plug in the connector a few times.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

thanks Ian
i will try those things you suggest also i am not sure if it makes any difference but there is a slight crack in the throttle sleeve also what manual:confused: dont have one.

mercman696

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2007
getting off old Torq grips

Nice new grips Ian - how did you get the old ones off ? It looks like a brute force an ignorance job with angle grinder and blowtorch - any tips before I set to?

Any help appreciated.

Ta

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
To Nigel: flecc's site has a list of the controller's red LED flashing diagnostic codes reproduced from the manual which you need: just count the number of consecutive flashes between pauses, then check the "meaning" from that list :) hope that helps.

It sounds like yours may be 4 flashes, throttle not returning fully, so throttle is "on" already when you turn the key to switch on? : check the spring is fully returning when released to switch the throttle "off".

5 flashes (throttle faulty) can indicate a wiring disconnection anywhere between the throttle and the connection inside the "battery meter" box (the one with the red, amber & green "battery level" lights :)), on the right side of the handlebars.

PS I think I'll be trying to do the throttle mod too after all: there are benefits to motor control, aswell as easier "padding" of the handlebar grips. I was also looking into cork bar tape with a gel layer like Specialized S-wrap or "Phat" wrap, aswell as m'cycle grips, but on the whole the mod plus more "standard" grips seems more straightforward (I hope!).

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it is Stuart, doing the mod is very easy. On the Q bike I just wound some pvc insulating tape around the inner cut throttle section to fatten it, then pushed a piece of the standard handgrip over that to give the expanded profile on that inner section. As you see here, that simple dodge is very effective:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Its ok
thanks everyone it was down to me:eek:
because the new handlebar grip seemed a very tight fit i used washing up liquid in side the grip to help it go on and yes you guessed it the liquid also got inside the throttle housing ;) so with a wipe and dry it all seems ok phew?
So next week will try to get some motorcycle grips:D thanks to all the regular suspects for all help going out for a ride in the sunshine.NIGEL

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Nice new grips Ian - how did you get the old ones off ? It looks like a brute force an ignorance job with angle grinder and blowtorch - any tips before I set to?

Any help appreciated.

Ta
Getting the right hand grip off is easy enough Mercman, just grab tightly and twist (Also called brute force;) ). The left one is fitted over a plastic throttle sleeve and requires more care, Flecc suggests a good removal technique on his throttle mod page, alternatively the old grips can be cut off if you don't need them, the material is soft and easily cut with a sharp knife. Note that if the new LH grip will not fit over the 30mm diameter throttle sleeve it will be necessary to do the throttle mod suggested by Flecc or something similar.

Last edited: