Help! Removable ebike parts and security. Leaving displays on or off the bike?

HMG13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Hey guys,

Just getting ready to install a bbs02 and starting to think about security.

My bafang display -(and most others from what I can tell) are not easy to pop off and put in your bag when you leave your bike - like say simple bike lights are.
It would involve unscrewing the clamps of the display and the controller too.
But I worry leaving them on would make the bike look attractive to a thief and also quick for them to remove just with a screwdriver if they have one.

I can use re-usable zip-ties with my display, which would solve the problem, but I can't see a way to do this with the controller that's attached to the display - meaning it would all have to stay on unless I wanted to unscrew it each time. Which I don't!

Has anyone here had any issues with these parts being nicked?
Any advice would be great.

This is a particular concern for me because I have mobility issues. I wouldn't be able to cycle my bike home if my display was stolen and I could no longer be assisted by the motor etc.

I'll be using the bike to get around town mostly. I want to feel comfortable leaving it for at least a couple of hours day or evening.

Cheers

Last edited:

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I've been thinking about this too and have concluded that bits permanently attached are unlikely to be stolen but could be trashed.
I intend to make a simple waterproof cover to stretch between the brake levers and cover up the "interesting" bits on the handlebars. It will also keep rain off the display and out of the throttle.

Reactions: HMG13

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I agonised over this when I first got my eBike. I used to remove the battery and plaster the thing with all types of locks, take everything out of the panniers etc.

It got such a faff that I found myself taking the car instead......

Now it is several years old I have mellowed and just use one simple lock, it's a risk but I found it unmanageable otherwise.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hey guys,

Just getting ready to install a bbs02 and starting to think about security.

My bafang display -(and most others from what I can tell) are not easy to pop off and put in your bag when you leave your bike - like say simple bike lights are.
It would involve unscrewing the clamps of the display and the controller too.
But I worry leaving them on would make the bike look attractive to a thief and also quick for them to remove just with a screwdriver if they have one.

I can use re-usable zip-ties with my display, which would solve the problem, but I can't see a way to do this with the controller that's attached to the display - meaning it would all have to stay on unless I wanted to unscrew it each time. Which I don't!

Has anyone here had any issues with these parts being nicked?
Any advice would be great.

This is a particular concern for me because I have mobility issues. I wouldn't be able to cycle my bike home if my display was stolen and I could no longer be assisted by the motor etc.

I'll be using the bike to get around town mostly. I want to feel comfortable leaving it for at least a couple of hours day or evening.

Cheers
i was paranoid at first too,but about the bike being stolen not individual parts.i mean where do u stop...taking the bike seat with you? i just use a big beefy padlock and chain and leave the rest to fate. nothings ever happened,over several years...i think thieves have better things to think about than,can i get a cpl quid for a thing thats probably only used on that particular bike,ie hard to sell.

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
I've been thinking about this too and have concluded that bits permanently attached are unlikely to be stolen but could be trashed.
I intend to make a simple waterproof cover to stretch between the brake levers and cover up the "interesting" bits on the handlebars. It will also keep rain off the display and out of the throttle.
I really like that idea, I'd not actually thought about rain other than maybe a plastic bag. What do you plan to make it with?

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
i was paranoid at first too,but about the bike being stolen not individual parts.i mean where do u stop...taking the bike seat with you? i just use a big beefy padlock and chain and leave the rest to fate. nothings ever happened,over several years...i think thieves have better things to think about than,can i get a cpl quid for a thing thats probably only used on that particular bike,ie hard to sell.
I think you're right. That's probably the best attitude. You can only do so much - gotta live and let go. If my bike wasn't very bright orange I think I'd feel better. It really stands out! But it's also part of the fun. I have invested in some good locks like you. Thanks for helping me relax a little haha

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
I agonised over this when I first got my eBike. I used to remove the battery and plaster the thing with all types of locks, take everything out of the panniers etc.

It got such a faff that I found myself taking the car instead......

Now it is several years old I have mellowed and just use one simple lock, it's a risk but I found it unmanageable otherwise.
I can understand that. The whole point of an e-bike is freedom, right! I think I was heading down the agonising route too but this thread has helped me relax a bit. I'll be sensible, but not go crazy

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
They make some smaller displays now which are less eye catching called the minimalist about £50 but I found hard to see in bright sunlight but easy to hide under a glove

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
They make some smaller displays now which are less eye catching called the minimalist about £50 but I found hard to see in bright sunlight but easy to hide under a glove
Wow that is small! I love the look of this, thanks. £40 isn't bad at all. I might get one in addition to the bafang display I already have and see how it is. Brilliant

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
So with bright sunlight - is that because it's not back-lit/very bright?

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I look at the inconvenience of walking home, compared to the time taken to fit the locks. So I'm happy to use 3 u locks - frame & both wheels. Seconds to lock/unlock, Weight no problem as its an ebike. I do have a rear pannier set, so use the detachable top bag to carry the battery into the shop, as I understand that its only seconds with a screwdriver for someone to prise it off the frame. Most shops have pull along or push trolleys, so only have to carry the weight as far as the shop.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Did you read the thread about the guy who had is rear derailleur nicked?... :oops:

Nothing is safe in some parts but only serious injury worries me, material belongings can be replaced (and insured against theft).

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
I look at the inconvenience of walking home, compared to the time taken to fit the locks. So I'm happy to use 3 u locks - frame & both wheels. Seconds to lock/unlock, Weight no problem as its an ebike. I do have a rear pannier set, so use the detachable top bag to carry the battery into the shop, as I understand that its only seconds with a screwdriver for someone to prise it off the frame. Most shops have pull along or push trolleys, so only have to carry the weight as far as the shop.
That sounds like good security. I was thinking 3 locks too - for high risk areas. D-Locks for frame and rear wheel, and a cable for the front wheel. Can just carry them on my pannier.
I don't think I can see myself wanting to remove the 4kg battery too often - I don't have a pannier battery pack like you. But will cover it with something ugly and hope for the best!?

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I really like that idea, I'd not actually thought about rain other than maybe a plastic bag. What do you plan to make it with?
I'm on the lookout for some of that plasticated canvas that they make banners from, plus a bit of bungie cord.

I just swapped out my quick-release front skewer for a "security" one. The new one has a 5-sided alen type key. Also put one on the seatpost clamp so popping into a shop won't be such a worry.

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
I'm on the lookout for some of that plasticated canvas that they make banners from, plus a bit of bungie cord.

I just swapped out my quick-release front skewer for a "security" one. The new one has a 5-sided alen type key. Also put one on the seatpost clamp so popping into a shop won't be such a worry.
Nice idea. I need to swap my quick releases out too, is it easy to do? I saw someone use an old chain wrapped in some inner tubing to secure saddle and seatpost to frame. It looks really discrete but adds peace of mind. Might do this when I upgrade to a suntour suspension seatpost!

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
Hey Peter,
I was wondering if you'd had any programming problems with the minimalist display?
Your advice led me to taking a took a look at the EggRider V2 - and a few people mentioned having programming and start up issues when they tried to put their original bafang displays back on - amongst a whole lot of other faff! This minimalist display is much more basic which is exactly what I'm after so I'm hoping there's no issues like this here.
But would love to know your experience with it before I go ahead and spend the cash, as there aren't reviews I can find online.
Cheers!