Removing wires from controller - cut?

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
It's certainly quite a skill trying to get everything tucked away. I was left with a couple of unused connectors which wouldn't fit so just left them poking out relatively unseen.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Can I cut close to the board and just heat tube the ends? Any ideas welcome please.
Well in theory, you can. The controller on the board does not know the wire is there unless there is some fancy wiring\shorts in the connectors themselves.

I would use heat shrink with a glue lining, the last thing you want to happen is the heat shrink to come off and a short occur.

I was thinking of doing something similar myself recently, removing the unused wires, but myself I would remove the wires completly with a soldering iron, no need for heatshrink then. And yes I am aware the PCB might have conformal coating on it.

Reactions: carlbikekits

carlbikekits

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
I was thinking of doing something similar myself recently, removing the unused wires, but myself I would remove the wires completly with a soldering iron, no need for heatshrink then. And yes I am aware the PCB might have conformal coating on it.
Thanks. It is covered in coating but, with your advice, I'm thinking of pulling the wires out and injecting silicone to double protect any chance of a short. What do you think?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Thanks. It is covered in coating but, with your advice, I'm thinking of pulling the wires out and injecting silicone to double protect any chance of a short. What do you think?
I dont see why not.

The coating is normally there to protect against moisture, so if you solder through it to remove wires, you ought to replace it with something similar.

Myself I do have a bottle of conformal coating handy.

Take pictures, just in case you pull the wrong wire.