Repair BBS02 Bottom bracket

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Thanks folks. The supplier is in the UK so it would be easy enough to ship it back to them, but I think I'll take the cover plate off the final gear and have a look. The noises are once per crank revolution but if I stop, back the cranks up a bit (freewheel clicks) then continue turning the noise continues from where it left off, i.e. from the orientation of the final gear rather than the new position of the crank arms relative to the final gear. So it's not bottom bracket bearings but is something to do with the final gear itself.

It doesn't sound a big issue and I think it would be wise to take the crank out and grease it up properly to set it up for a good life anyway. I'm going to be putting serious miles on it and it sounds like it'll need a bit of maintenance now and then anyway, so best to get in there before any harm is done!

Michael

Reactions: trex

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Ah Frank, you posted as I was writing my last reply! Thanks for your wise words. The noise is from the sprocket set (following the diagnosis in my last post) and as it's once per revolution it's somthing to do with the final drive sprocket. Perhaps I should contact the supplier (who doesn't have any more BBS01 in stock anyway, although he does have BBS02), highlight the issue and say I'll take the final drive cover off to have a look.

Edit: Yes, I can feel a little resistance through the cranks as the clicks happen. Probably something in the teeth of the main drive sprocket or some such.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's a positive attitude! I am sure your supplier would appreciate it.

Reactions: mfj197

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
It does feel I have exactly the same issue and I'm planning to sort that out too

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I still have the same problem with my BBS. I have opened it yet, but I'd like to check if anyone has the same issue and sorted it out?

Here is my problem:
- Motor works perfectly fine on throttle only
- When I pedal with motor turn off, I have a "clac" sound on every pedal turn.
- When I turn the pedal with my hand (and bike is upside down) so that it freewheels, there are no noise.

Anyone has an idea on what's the problem and how to sort that out?

Thank you

Robert Stanford

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2018
Really good information in this thread, and special thanks to Frank for doing the disassembly instructions - I've bookmarked those for future reference. A quick question for you as it may be the bottom bracket that is at fault:

I'm part way through a BBS01 install and have fitted the crank arms. When I turn the cranks forwards by hand I get creaks and rattles once per resolution, like this:
Is this normal? The motor has yet to be connected to power as I haven't finished welding up the battery pack yet. I bought the motor here in the UK and it is still under warranty - I don't want to continue with the install if I need to send it back, or if it's a simple fix then maybe I should do it, but then again that might invalidate the warranty. Alternatively it could all just be me being paranoid ...

Michael
Hi Michael,

I'm not sure if you are still active on the forum?
I have just installed a brand new BBS01/B which has exactly the same "fault" as yours and ticks in the same places. Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?

Best regards,

Rob

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My BBS02 has started making the same clicking sound.
It was initially once per revolution but has just started twice per revolution now.
I have ordered a new motor to replace it then will strip this one using Frank's excellent photo guide.
I do have another motor but it got a bit hot running 14s (it's not a B motor) so I may be able to salvage any parts needed from that one.
The hot motor still runs but there is a lot of clicking when under power which I think is from the one way clutch in the nylon gear.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Got my new motor fitted using only the actual motor along with the old cranks and pedals and the clicking noise was still there!!!
It turned out it was the pedals even though I had checked that they turned freely by hand and had no play in them.
They were less than 2 months old and came with the new Cannondale so that was a bit of a surprise.
Not a problem though as the old motor will go on my Carrera Vengeance to use as a winter bike when the roads are salted and the Cannondale should last a good few extra years