Replacement 36V 16AH LiFePO4 batteries?

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Yes that would have been ideal but I had to send my original battery back to Bearprint before they would send out the replacement.
After soldering bullet connectors on the new electric bottom plate wires it is quite easy to swap it over, I find the worst part is stuffing all the cables back into the cramped controller compartment under the battery.
It all looks a bit messy and could be improved somehow I believe, I suppose more expensive Ebikes probably do a more streamlined job with these connections.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Displaying external web images

1. View the image on the web, right click it and from the drop down menu click copy image location (in Firefox, similar in IE)
  2. Now using the editor to reply to the forum thread, choose the place for the insertion, and then click the insert image icon ( a small tree)
  3. Select from URL
  4. Paste the image location into the URL box
  5. Untick "Retrieve remote file"
  6. Click Insert image

Is your sudden cutoff of the LIFePO4 battery related to the voltage/discharge curve? See this post.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hello 10mph,
Thanks for your post, I will try and follow your advice about embedding photos which clearly works!
I tried to add the photos by clicking on the Tree icon and then pasting the photo link but it doesn't work for me.
I am not sure about steps 5 & 6 in your list and I do not recall seeing any help info advising of these steps but will try doing so next time.
As I noted my first trip in to work was a bit disastrous but after charging the battery for around 5 hours it got me home ok and today I travelled a further 11 miles to visit my Father in his care home without any problems.
On the way back it lost assistance again but I reckon I had done about 30 miles in total.
My 1st charge up at work also did not complete, I had to return home before it could finish and the charger light was still red.
After my ride today the charger light went from red to green after about 7 hours so my recent mileage is likely to have been done on a partially complete charge, I am hoping that when travelling to work tomorrow I might see a higher total before it loses power again.
As long as it can cope with my 26 mile round trip to work on 1 charge I will be happy.
The battery seems to lose power quite quickly once it is running out of juice, Dave at Kudos has advised that the LiFePO4 batteries are like this.
Best wishes,
Barry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am not sure about steps 5 & 6 in your list and I do not recall seeing any help info advising of these steps.
See the dialogue box below Barry. After pasting in the URL, uncheck the tick by "Retrieve" to remove it and then click "Insert Image" for your photo to appear:

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Well, armed with such excellent guidance I am going to try again!

Yeh!! Well by entering the "copy image location" instead of the Google mail Picasa image link it seems to have worked! :)

I still must be doing something wrong though as I did not see the Add an image from URL dialogue box as posted by flecc.
But if the photo appears in the post I'm happy!

By the way the Chinese LiFePO4 battery I have sourced myself is the one on the left.
Coming home today directly into a very strong headwind it performed very well showing 3 lights out of 4 when I got home.
I believe I have cause for cautious optimism about it's performance.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Barry.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hello 289,
I was alternating between the 2 batteries but disappointingly my Chinese battery began dying out about 2 miles from home and won't do my 26 mile commute on one charge.
Since then I have been using the warranty replacement and have done maybe 11,000 miles with it.
Recently this too has been cutting out a short distance from my home on the return journey.
This seems to happen when strong headwinds are blowing.
I wish I had an electrics/battery genius living nearby to check the cells,etc.
It looks as though a 3rd new battery will be needed before long.
Best wishes to all,
Barry.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Where exactly do you live BAZ?
d8veh you should remember this after you kindly posted that replacement battery key barrel to me last year!?!
I am in Street, Somerset.
With todays predicted 25 mph headwinds coming home from work I charged my battery at work to avoid any cut out.
Best wishes,
Barry.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
d8veh you should remember this after you kindly posted that replacement battery key barrel to me last year!?!
I am in Street, Somerset.
With todays predicted 25 mph headwinds coming home from work I charged my battery at work to avoid any cut out.
Best wishes,
Barry.
If you can get it somewhere near east Devon I'll have a look at it for you.

NYC

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
Hello Barry
I've just bought a Bearprint cycle but without the battery or charger. I've been reading your reviews and problems with your bike and wondered where would you suggest I buy a battery from. It doesn't need to be a really good one like yours, one that will be capable of 15 miles will be sufficient. Thanks in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Barry
I've just bought a Bearprint cycle but without the battery or charger. I've been reading your reviews and problems with your bike and wondered where would you suggest I buy a battery from. It doesn't need to be a really good one like yours, one that will be capable of 15 miles will be sufficient. Thanks in advance.

It's and older thread.
They are called silver fish battery cases, browse ebay for them look for lifepo4 silver fish if that is what you need.

Reactions: NYC

NYC

May 24, 2020
Hello Nealth
Thanks for your reply, I am not sure if I bought the right one, could you please tell me the correct polarity of the battery I need. If you lay the battery down with the fixing plate side face down and look at it, is it - - + +? Hope you can come back soon. It's very confusing for a first timer. I also read if I bought a battery with the wrong polarity I can someone change it round the right way, do you have any insight into this?
Thanks

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic of the plate and battery base, for the battery use a meter to tell the correct polarity if it is not marked.

NYC

May 24, 2020
I think I've worked it out with the + and - thanks, just that it has 4 slots and the bike only has two prongs but I've read somewhere that it's okay to use? I could do with some advice on charger please. The battery is 36v 10A silverfish but doesn't come with charger. I already have a 42v charger, can I use it to charge this 36v battery? Here is the the link to the battery I bought off ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-10A-Fish-Lithium-E-Bike-Scoother-Battery-for-Electric-Bicycle-Lotus-UK-Stock/193380294837?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 hope you can help. Thanks again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the charger is fine to use if the charge plug/connector is the same.
Lion 36v is the nominal charge it's max charge is 42v, the charger will be for 36v though will indicate on the label it will have a 42v max charge voltage.

Reactions: NYC