Help! Replacement 36v battery for a Giant Suede

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Everything on your bike will work normally if you have the correct voltage on those two red and black wires. Your controller doesn't care where it comes from. Every option is open to you as long as you get the correct voltage 24v or 36v.

Ready-made lithium cell-packs normally include a BMS, so no fuse is necessary. All you have to do is join the red and black power wires to the connector and the two charge wires to the charge connector the correct way round. If you go for a ready made battery, all you need to do is connect it's two output wires to the red and black ones.

As you already have fuses, you can join the wires there instead. It's optional and the same amount of work. The charging current isn't protected by the BMS, so it's best to keep the fuse if there's room for it. It should be a 5A one.

Most of the cell-packs I've seen come with a charger. Check the listings.

The most important thing is that the cell-pack can fit in the case. Also make sure that it can provide enough current. See what current is written on the controller.
Existing battery is 9 ah, proposed battery is 12 a h. Is that what you mean by current or do I need to look on the control box for something different

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Current is the rate that electricity is delivered, measured in amps. The control box actually tries to control that, but if the battery can't deliver what the controller wants you will get bad performance and quickly ruin the battery.

Amp hours (a.h.) give the total amount the battery can hold and deliver, so 12ah might be 1amp for 12 hours, 3 amps for 4 hours, or 12amps for 1 hour (horrid for most batteries) ; or more usually a mix with a few moments at 15 amps, a few minutes at 10 amps, and lots at 5 amps or less.

Typically a controller may want a maximum of 15amps from the battery; but sustained values of only a few amps.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Current is the rate that electricity is delivered, measured in amps. The control box actually tries to control that, but if the battery can't deliver what the controller wants you will get bad performance and quickly ruin the battery.

Amp hours (a.h.) give the total amount the battery can hold and deliver, so 12ah might be 1amp for 12 hours, 3 amps for 4 hours, or 12amps for 1 hour (horrid for most batteries) ; or more usually a mix with a few moments at 15 amps, a few minutes at 10 amps, and lots at 5 amps or less.

Typically a controller may want a maximum of 15amps from the battery; but sustained values of only a few amps.
Control box 15a ± 1
Battery BMS rated 25a discharge

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Measured case when I got home and After all that the case is 65mm and battery 70

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Before I give up on getting a battery pack to go inside my old battery case and buy a rack battery , I'll throw this one out if you can help .
My battery case is 260x115x 65.
They key dimension is the 65 which is the cell height . The other 2 dimensions can be smaller . Cos I've only found a good price with cells at 70mm. can't afford Jimmy's panasonic batteries crazy price even if good . 18650 batteries apparently are 65 high. So anyone aware of suppliers in uk to try . Cos of course brexit had bolloxed up ordering from abroad .
Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Before I give up on getting a battery pack to go inside my old battery case and buy a rack battery , I'll throw this one out if you can help .
My battery case is 260x115x 65.
They key dimension is the 65 which is the cell height . The other 2 dimensions can be smaller . Cos I've only found a good price with cells at 70mm. can't afford Jimmy's panasonic batteries crazy price even if good . 18650 batteries apparently are 65 high. So anyone aware of suppliers in uk to try . Cos of course brexit had bolloxed up ordering from abroad .
Thanks
Cells are 18mm dia and 65mm long. That more ot less rules out a 10S4P pack, which would be 180 x 72 x 65 plus a bit for the BMS and any insulation or holders. You can save a bit of height by staggering the layers, but I don't think you'll go below 65mm. A 10S3P pack would be 180 x 54 x 65, so it should easily fit, but you'd be limited to about 9Ah.

There's one here, though I don't know if it's any good. It says 15A continuous. Do a search and see what you can find. Avoid the £59 ones though

D

Deleted member 33385

Did the OP originally have nihms in that battery case? He might find it a challenge fitting in 65mm tall 18650s, if the outer case dimension is 65mm... Would a custom lithium ion battery build be a better (might not be as cheap) solution?

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Did the OP originally have nihms in that battery case? He might find it a challenge fitting in 65mm tall 18650s, if the outer case dimension is 65mm... Would a custom lithium ion battery build be a better (might not be as cheap) solution?
Internal dimensions quoted and rechecked and it's 67 mm for cell height so ok. I found someone but not sure about aerdu cells ???

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Cells are 18mm dia and 65mm long. That more ot less rules out a 10S4P pack, which would be 180 x 72 x 65 plus a bit for the BMS and any insulation or holders. You can save a bit of height by staggering the layers, but I don't think you'll go below 65mm. A 10S3P pack would be 180 x 54 x 65, so it should easily fit, but you'd be limited to about 9Ah.

There's one here, though I don't know if it's any good. It says 15A continuous. Do a search and see what you can find. Avoid the £59 ones though
Not available in uk but I found someone but they're aerdu cells .. not sure about them ??? And he's 198 with a charger

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are they just a battery maker name rather then an actual cell maker ?
How about a link ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
aerdu all I find is an aliexpress special !!!!

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Exactly that's what's putting me off because this is an English supplier on eBay with the only difference being a higher price. The only possible advantage of that is that it's perhaps less risky then rolling the dice on various suppliers on AliExpress.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
And I should add that I've found others much lower price and arguably better known cell like LG. But they don't fit in my existing battery case. I'm beginning to think about abandoning using my battery case and getting the recommended jose power rack or down tube battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The aerdu is a battery reseller or possibly one who make up batteries.
The ones I see on Ali are cheap even using the claimed crappy LG MG1 cells, £73 for 40 cells, bms etc,etc also the GA celled one at £96 for 40 cells is way to cheap.
GA cells are usually well over £5 each and MG1 are £2.50 a pop.

My guess s that the cells offered are poor rejects or even fakes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Manufacturer warranty 6 months doesn't fill one with optimism.

Yes if thinking of changing battery type altogether at least use a more reputable outlet.