Help! Replacement 36v battery for a Giant Suede

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Ok gentlemen I'm giving you all all the opportunity to say hey I told you so. I've had long conversation with an eBay supplier who sells Aerdu batteries. He understands my concern about AliExpress Chinese suppliers and some unscrupulous UK eBay suppliers but he assures me he sold a lot succesfully. and if nothing else he shows more knowledge then just a reseller so my budget has lead me to buy this battery and I promise to update as Time goes On... Good or bad . Thanks for your input

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Current is the rate that electricity is delivered, measured in amps. The control box actually tries to control that, but if the battery can't deliver what the controller wants you will get bad performance and quickly ruin the battery.

Amp hours (a.h.) give the total amount the battery can hold and deliver, so 12ah might be 1amp for 12 hours, 3 amps for 4 hours, or 12amps for 1 hour (horrid for most batteries) ; or more usually a mix with a few moments at 15 amps, a few minutes at 10 amps, and lots at 5 amps or less.

Typically a controller may want a maximum of 15amps from the battery; but sustained values of only a few amps.
Bearing all this in mind . Trying to get head around capacity .. amp hrs watt hrs etc. If I have a battery at 322 watt hours and my motor is a 250 watt does that mean I'll only get 1.28 hours from battery ? Or does motor not always use the full 250 watt

D

Deleted member 33385

Bearing all this in mind . Trying to get head around capacity .. amp hrs watt hrs etc. If I have a battery at 322 watt hours and my motor is a 250 watt does that mean I'll only get 1.28 hours from battery ? Or does motor not always use the full 250 watt

As well as terrain and efficiency of the bike (and the viscosity of air that day), tyre pressure, the size of your tyre treads, what you ate for lunch (beans provide gusty forward propulsion), the drag coefficient of your haircut, gravity of the planet you're cycling on (and the elevation of the road on that planet), size and shape of your nose, whether you have oily skin, whether your skin is dry & wrinkly or smooth, if you've shaved your legs or are wearing tights (ask D.C.), or if like me you're as aerodynamic as a wardrobe riding a bike because you're fat etc. I believe it depends on the fitness of the rider - nealh cycles millions of miles a year and copes well with small batteries. I, on the other hand, require all available electric assistance at all times. 36V 322wh:

...is 8.94ah. If all of that capacity was available, on my bike - it would last me less than 20 miles, but there's the 31% (ish) battery protection level to consider, so it'd give me personally, about 13 useful miles. Nealh could cycle thousands...

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
As well as terrain and efficiency of the bike (and the viscosity of air that day), tyre pressure, what you ate for lunch, the drag coefficient of your haircut, size and shape of your nose, whether you have oily skin, whether your skin is wrinkled or smooth, if you've shaved your legs or are wearing tights (ask D.C.), or if like me you're as aerodynamic as a wardrobe riding a bike because you're fat etc. I believe it depends on the fitness of the rider - nealh cycles millions of miles a year and copes well with small batteries. I, on the other hand, require all available electric assistance at all times. 36V 322wh:

...is 8.94ah. If all of that capacity was available, on my bike - it would last me less than 20 miles, but there's the 31% (ish) battery protection level to consider, so it'd give me personally, about 13 useful miles. Nealh could cycle thousands...
Assuming your using lot of throttle. Well I like to pedal and I no choice at moment anyway cos throttle only doing start off speed . Well u won't see me in lycra cos I'll look like a bag of sprouts thats bulging on one side . So we'll see how this aerdu lasts and performs . I won't need more than 20 miles . Even 10 on most trips . Just noticed it's quoted as 522 watt hours not sure how . It's 36v 10ah so isn't that 360 wh

D

Deleted member 33385

Assuming your using lot of throttle.
My throttle is disconnected, but at my highest level of PAS ie "9", which is pretty much all I use - that's set at 100% asistance, so it may as well be on throttle. I like to "Ghost pedal" ;)

Which is it? And when will your aorta battery arrive?

If I have a battery at 322 watt
Just noticed it's quoted as 522 watt hours

I think nealh said somewhere that he gets 25 miles out of his 8.4ah, but he's a lot fitter than I am.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You motor can actually deliver a lot more than 250w, so on full power you'd get even less than 1.28 hours (and maybe overhead the motor). Using 250w you would get the 1.28 hours, and the motor should be fine as 250w is a continuous rating.

But back to the real world, you will use much less than 250w almost all the time, depending on lots of factors, as the other posters have said above. Try https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ to get an idea. Even though tailored to Bosch motors it will give a very good idea for any motor and battery with a little interpretation. It will certainly give an idea how much range depends on the various factors; set everything easy (light rider, lowest (eco) assist, good roads, no wind, etc) and you will see over 100 miles for a 400wh battery. Change all the factors to more realistic and with medium (tour) assist and it will drop to maybe around 33 miles depending on what is 'realistic' for your riding. If the area is really hilly or you use higher assist it can easily drop into low 20s.

Range assistant has setting for 300w battery, but not 322. Range is linear with battery capacity.

(Woosh suggests 10 to 12 wh per mile for flat roads: An e-bike with a 36V 10AH battery (360WH) will give you 30-36 miles on flat roads. That is very much the same ballpark as the range assitant.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
My throttle is disconnected, but at my highest level of PAS ie "9", which is pretty much all I use - that's set at 100% asistance, so it may as well be on throttle. I like to "Ghost pedal" ;)

Which is it? And when will your aorta battery arrive?

I think nealh said somewhere that he gets 25 miles out of his 8.4ah, but he's a lot fitter than I am.
Sorry by battery is 360 watt hours not 522. That was for 16 ah.
I wish I could ad just my pedal assist settings but I don't think you can on mine. It's a voilamart 36 volts 250 amp wheel and it goes racing off similar to what you say yours does that and if I was able I'd love to reduce the setting and give my legs a little more work

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
360wh in my world is about 40 miles range, I am a PAS 1 user which adequate for my needs of taking the effort to aid my asthma. My asthma is worsened by exertion though not too bad riding a bike.
Everyone's usage is different so it is impossible to give a figure.

As rule a regular cyclist (not a club sport cyclist) should be able to manage 10 -12 wh per mile in lowest assist, the more aerodynamical one is then the rate can be lower.
An electric bent/trike tadpole could lower that to sub 10wh.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The voilamart's are speed control so range will be less as the speed controllers will give 100% current at low speed in all assist levels, it is only when you near the upper speed cut off for each level that current will reduce.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As a rough rule of thumb, you get 30 miles from a 10Ah 36v (360Wh) battery at an average speed of about 12 mph. That's the same as 45 miles from a 15Ah one or 3.75 hours before the battery goes flat. Obviously, if you go slower, it last longer.

Reactions: mikeconnect
D

Deleted member 33385

Sorry by battery is 360 watt hours not 522. That was for 16 ah.
I wish I could ad just my pedal assist settings but I don't think you can on mine. It's a voilamart 36 volts 250 amp wheel and it goes racing off similar to what you say yours does that and if I was able I'd love to reduce the setting and give my legs a little more work
Is your sensor wheel magnet based? If so, adding a second magnet at the opposite side of the wheel to the existing magnet, might work to fool the bike?

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The voilamart's are speed control so range will be less as the speed controllers will give 100% current at low speed in all assist levels, it is only when you near the upper speed cut off for each level that current will reduce.
Can you set the wheel size?

I'm not aware of being able to set anything with voilamart unless somebody can tell me different ,

D

Deleted member 33385

It's magnet
...in which case, it's may be worth a try. You just need to find a cheap little strong spoke speedometer magnet from somewhere, put the second magnet at the oppsite side of the wheel of the one that's already installed, and hope your bike slows down to half speed when assisting...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do the voilamart's not have 3 speed settings, L , M or H or 1,2 or 3 ?

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
360wh in my world is about 40 miles range, I am a PAS 1 user which adequate for my needs of taking the effort to aid my asthma. My asthma is worsened by exertion though not too bad riding a bike.
Everyone's usage is different so it is impossible to give a figure.

As rule a regular cyclist (not a club sport cyclist) should be able to manage 10 -12 wh per mile in lowest assist, the more aerodynamical one is then the rate can be lower.
An electric bent/trike tadpole could lower that to sub 10wh.
Then 360 watt hours is fine for me. I'm disappointed that I can't adjust pas. Not just for battery range but also I don't want it too easy I want to work a little . You may remember I bought another giant suede while I was fixing this one. the other which had an original suede wheel with eco power prob would have suited me better with hindsight .
But I was given the original suede wheel with my bike that has the voilamart . But I don't know how much would be involved inb atempting to swap it back over

Last edited: